1 vs.2

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by 515, Oct 19, 2011.

1. I'm in a very fortunate position where I can say I have more then I can smoke. I thought it would be nice to do a quick grow to compare two gallon pots vs. one gallon. I understand there are many factors so it's nearly impossible to say this grow definitively concludes 2 gallon out yield one, or viceversa. But I just think it'll be fun.

I normally grow sog, but first grows were scrog. I usually have 20-30 plants per 3x3 tray. So unfortunately I wasted no time with veg, it's breeder suggested that Confidential Cheese be vegged at least two weeks before flower and topped. Because of this I'll be sure to top the plants in a day or so. This is my first time growing Confidential Cheese or Afghani. The Afghani is in here just for shits.

My setup:
    600w Hortilux hps
    Ocean Forest with two tablespoon of garden lime & greensand per gallon of soil.
    Nutrients: Earth Juice (Full line)

5 Confidential Cheese clones in 2 gallon pots.
    3 Confidential Cheese clones in 1 gallon pots.
    1 Afghani clone in 1 gallon pot. (started with smaller roots.)

Information about strain below:
    Confidential Cheese - Reserva Privada Seeds - Worldwide Marijuana Seeds

Updates should be right at the beginning of the week.

2. #2 515, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2011
    Started the plants on the 7th so the plants are 12 days old. So far I can say the plants are same in height, but the nodes are tighter in the plants in 2 gallons. The 2 gallon plants have one extra set of leaves also. Ill update sometime next week, plants will be topped by then.

If have questions/comments pertaining to this grow then ask, if there off topic shoot me a pm or start a thread. I would like to keep this sorta clean.

Attached Files:

3. a dont now wot u mean when u say nutrients a use a 14 week advanced hydroponics of holland dutch formula a mixe 2liters of tap water with 2ml grow 1ml bloom 1ml micro ad a dont think its the temp the last wk used fan bt no diffrence

4. help any despreat to find problem[​IMG]

5. Well I topped the plants the day after last post. I have to say that this strain of cheese or at least this phonotype should be topped in veg. Other strains that I have grown have done well topping or fim'ing in flower. I'm pretty confident that most vertical growth has ceased, as most plants are now showing flower development.

The plants are showing a slight over feeding (nitrogen), next feed I'll keep the nitrogen the same and add Phosphorus at 3ml per gal. Probably increase Molasses to 10 ml per gallon and keep everything else the same. The plants in the 2 gallon pots are starting to flower, you would almost think that they are older. Hmm.

I'm also turning one of my gardens into a flood and drain, this should be complete by the end of this week, well it's complete should have Purple Haze in there on Friday. It would be my first hydro grow and I'm looking forward to it. I also bought a sun splitter has anyone used this before?

BTW how do I make my pictures not thumbnails? :eek:

Last weeks feed:

Catalyst- 25ml @ 5ml per gal
    Micro- 25ml @ 5ml per gal
    Grow- 15ml @ 3ml per gal
    Molasses- 10ml @ 2ml per gal

Attached Files:

6. Plants will be 4 weeks old on the 3rd. I've included a few comparison shoots. The two gallon pots flowers & main stems are larger at this point, trichome development is further along.

Last weeks' feed:
    Catalyst- 25ml @ 5ml per gal
    Micro- 25ml @ 5ml per gal
    Grow- 25 ml @ 5ml per gal
    Bloom- 25ml @ 5ml per gal
    Molasses- 25ml @ 5ml per gal

I believe these plants have called mercy on the nitrogen at this point and will slow there nitrogen intake and increase bloom and molasses over the next few weeks. Most small plants can only take 10 ml per gallon of Grow & Catalyst. I might etch the catalyst to 7.5 ml next week, at this point who knows. The micro is already maxed at 5ml per gallon. I'll raise bloom closer to 15-20 ml per gallon over the next few weeks. Molasses will double in the next two weeks and remain at 10 ml per gallon for the remaining time.

Next Fridays feed is looking like this:
    Catalyst- 7.5ml per gal
    Micro- 5ml per gal
    Grow- 5ml per gal
    Bloom 10ml per gal
    Molasses- 7.5ml per gal

The purple haze ebb n flow is looking pretty good for my first time. I'm going to throw 20-25 Lemon Hazes in my next tent. Lookout for this.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Looking real nice, 515! :hello: Very healthy looking plants, man.

On expanding thumbnails ...

If you click on one of your thumbnails in a post, it'll open up. If you click on that pic, it'll open up into your browser where you can right-click and "copy" the URL.

Then in a post, use the "insert picture" icon (mountain and sun) to paste that picture in.

You can do this with the post you're in by doing a "Preview Post" first. Then you can click on the thumbnail in your preview and do what I said above to put the expanded pic in the same post.

Hope that helps! :D

:smoke:

8. MX, thanks for the picture tutorial. I almost thought I asked the most sacred Grasscity question.:smoke: Everything is running smooth with this grow, zero complaints. Next time ill get a full plant photo, kind of in a rush this weekend. Last weeks feed was exactly that I posted above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      159.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      157.1 KB
      Views:
    • tops1.JPG
      tops1.JPG
      File size:
      146.8 KB
      Views:
  9. Wow! They crystalled up a lot in the last week! :)

10. #10 515, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2011

Your right, I was also surprised. Enjoy this rainy ass day! :mad:

11. Sorry for the lack of updates. Computer broke down, ordered all the parts to build a new one should be up by the end of the week.

The plants in the 2 gallon pot should be finished in two weeks, I'll start the flush on Friday and continue until 2nd which should be harvest. The 1 gallon pots look about a week behind.

12. #12 515, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2011
    Just wanted to post a couple of pictures, looks like the harvest will be in about 10-14 days. A nice 9 weeks strain, that should be vegged a couple of weeks for sure. SOG is not for every strain whether that is sativa or indicia, and this is one of them.

I'm going to run this strain a couple more times, she is a heavy feeder and took to EJ quite nicely. This time around I'll increase the bloom at a faster rate; I might add some Bud Blood in the mix starting weeks 3-8 at a 1/2 teaspoon per gallon working up to 1 maybe 1.5 teas.

I already have clones standing by that have been in veg for 1 week today, so they will be about 3 weeks by the time they go into the box. I also built a new grow tent, I'll have a few more on my other thread.

Before the true smoke report, I must say that I’m not the heaviest smoker. I smoke about 3 joints on days off and 1 when I work. I’ve been smoking Maui Waui lately from Colorado which rocks btw!

Anyway, I removed two lower buds, used the ole’ microwave quick dry method just to sample. Won't comment on taste for that reason, but I can say that I was high for 2.5 hours. A nice relaxing high, something when you have friends over and talk. I can't wait to give this strain a nice 1 month cure and try it again. Not for cash croppers, but for the connoisseur. This is my first cheese strain I’ve ever grown or smoked. I like it! :hello:

In regards to 1 gallon vs 2 well there isnt a comparison. The one gallon plants nodes are longer then 2 gallon. The two gallon plants look to be a week ahead as far as bud development. I'm going to let the one gallons go a week longer than the 2. At the end of it all, I'll give the final weight. It's looking to be about 6-8 ounces, a big disapointment. But we live and we learn! If I were to run them again in this manner I would def up the numbers. Probably run 25 in a 4x4 as side branching isnt an issue.

So I plan on running this grow again one with 12 plants vegged 2/3 weeks. And another at 25 maybe 30 per tray with no veg and no topping. But like I've said before you have to work with your strain over 2-4 grows to really understand it.

Attached Files:

13. Just wanted to give a update that the five plants in the 2 gallon pots were harvested. Eight weeks on the nose. Next round I'll let the plants run one more week, trichs are showing 30-40% amber right now. The Cheese f'n stinks! I'll update in a week once there dried and I cut the one gallons down, I'm using a brown bag method for a slow dry and cure.

Attached Files:

14. A little more..

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sorry to spam the boards, but I can't post all at the same time, more.. :eek:

Attached Files:

16. More... :smoke:

Attached Files:

17. Last of them. Goodnight :wave:

Attached Files:

18. Wow! :eek: Great growing 515! Congrats on that bitchen ass harvest! :hello:

Some of those photos are incredible! Awesome dude!

19. Great little grow journal 515! +rep to you

A few questions about your confidential cheese (I'm currently growing it):

1) Did you ever get a dry weight?

2) When you say that you wasted no time with veg, do you mean you grew from straight 12/12?

Sorry, I'm inexperienced with SOG grows

3) Would say she's a heavier eater during veg or bloom?

4) Did you take any clones? and if you did, would you say this strain clones well?

20. Sorry I haven't been around, holidays.

15 grams average from the two gallon buckets, 10 grams average from the one gallon buckets. Not a big harvest, but I wasn't looking for a large yield, just growing her out for the first time.

Yes, I didn't veg them at all. After the holidays I'm going to start another log with 16 that have been vegged for 2-3 weeks. Leaning more towards three. But I would guess, if one were to want a good pound from her in sog 32 in 6" planters would work, zero veg mind you.

As far as feeding, Monday I'll post my revised bloom nutrient schedule, and a few pics.

I have a Cheese mother, that has been growing since July. Clones took 12 days in a diy areo-cloner to root, nothing fancy (tap water & 2 t8 bulbs). :cool:

Btw: Nice Fn' hempy grow, +rep! :eek:

Happy Holidays to all!:smoke: