Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

1 simple question

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by curtislowe, Oct 5, 2010.

1. im taking prozac will smoking weed effect it in any way

2. I would highly doubt it

3. Prozac is an anti-depressant in the class known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). These drugs affect your brain's ability to absorb serotonin, a neurotransmitter that is involved in the regulation of emotions and mood. Prozac is perhaps the most well known of the many different medications prescribed to help people whose symptoms of depression are caused by an imbalance of chemicals in the brain. Marijuana, in its own drug class, is not a strict depressant. It has different effects based on the user's mood, surroundings, dose, and frequency of use. These can range from sedative to hallucinogenic to stimulant.

One of the most important factors when combining drugs - whether they be prescription or over-the-counter, controlled or illicit - is to be able to measure if and how much each drug is affecting mood and behavior, and what side effects each has. Interestingly, marijuana and Prozac can actually produce many of the same emotional effects.

Some of the most common side effects of Prozac include nervousness, drowsiness, and anxiety. Some people experience insomnia while taking it. On the other hand, marijuana is also known to cause mood sleepiness or sluggishness, and, sometimes, decreased motivation. In higher doses, hallucinogenic effects are possible, which may be expressed through anxiety or rapid changes in mood. Marijuana use can also cause some of the symptoms of depression, particularly in heavy users.

Prozac can also affect motor and decision-making skills, as well as perception. When a person first starts taking an anti-depressant, it's usually advised that activities like driving, climbing ladders, or using power tools are avoided until it's determined that it would be safe to do so. Combining Prozac and marijuana may increase the likelihood of an accident. It may also make it hard to decide if it would be safe to do these things if Prozac were being used alone. In addition, marijuana has been found to decrease the effect of Prozac. Using the two drugs together could make it hard to determine whether Prozac is actually useful for your friends, and if so, appropriate dosing.

It's really important that you talk with your doctor about these issues.

(I'm the copy -n- paste king)

4. No. Go smoke weed now. It wont affect it.

But in reality always visit a doctor instead of asking stoners medical advice. :cool:

5. Ask yer doctor. The only trouble you'd get in is they'd tell yer parents, in which case yer under 18, in which case you shouldn't be posting on these forums.

6. I did that shit for 3 years and it never did anything bad. Well, not that I can tell.

7. Probably did irreversible damage by touching one of them maryhuana ciggaretes! :mad:

8. I hear that SSRI's are one of the only real things you shouldnt mix with weedabis. Funny you should ask. I dont know why but i think it has somthing to do with causing seretonin syndrome. Or not sure if thats from harder pyschedelics. Research that shit and dont ask stoners for medical advice seriously like somebody previously said. DONt trust anybody!!!

9. my doctor knows i toke i asked her about mixing weed with antidepressants she said it wont harm you but it might make the antidepressant less effective i just wanted other opinions thanks for the replies

10. I use dto take a couple different anti-depressants a day, not prozac. weed didn't effect it much just definately made me feel the effects of the speedy antidepressant. I did 2c-i on that shit and it gave me serotonin shock syndrome or whatever you call it and was getting brain zaps throughout the following days of the experience. Just don't do any heavy pshycs on it and you should be straight.

11. Nope. But yeah, your doc is probably right that it would make the antidepressant less effective. Wait a bit after you take that pill before tokin' up.

12. Stop taking that and smoke weed only. For your own good.

13. people have made it fairly hard for me to smoke weed now (drug testing)