1 man perpetual grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Caldwell, Sep 9, 2012.

1. So I'm a medical marijuana patient in the state of Arizona and I would like to grow my own medication. currently i go through 7 grams a week so I would need to grow atleast that. I would like to use the SoG ( Sea of green ) growing method with CFLs if possible. From what I've read the sea of green method only allows about a week to veg from clones, just long enough for the clones to develop strong roots, then you put them into flowering. I would do a closet grow thats atleast 5ft wide 2 ft deep and 5ft high. I also have another closet with identical dimensions.

So for the amount I would need to grow, would this setup work out alright or would I have problems? are there easier methods I should look in to? let me know.

Questions:
    how many cfls would I need and what wattage?
    how many plants would I need to do this successfully?

2. There is a nice CFL guide sticked at the top of this forum, one thing with a SOG grow. Though I would not recommend CFL's for it. I would imagine that you would be using a lot of bulbs. That's a good amount of heat to deal with. You might want to try using long tube florescent bulbs instead. Just mount them above and on the rear wall.

Though honestly for a SOG that yields 7Grams a week you might be better off investing in some LED lights, they might be expensive (and you shouldn't cheap out on them) but in the long run you'll be saving money.

These are just the personal opinions of another newbie grower though. Just food for thought. My guess is that you'd have to use a good amount of CFL's for a SOG grow like that. But I could be completely wrong.

3. well I'm certainly open to other methods. I want to figure everything out before I start so I don't have any regrets. what would a set of led lights run and can you use them through flowering and veg or do you need two different ones for the two stages?

4. My knowledge on LED's goes as far as they produce less heat and can be much easier on your hydro bill. You might want to wait for someone else to come along. I sit in envy of those with LED lights.

But just to give you a good idea green house lights, LED grow lights | low cost | low energy | BC LED Lights they have a 50W grow light for $160. I don't believe that this light would be ideal. You would probably be best looking for a good brand of lights on amazon/ebay. One brand that I've seen brought up often in LED discussion is Solarflare. So you might want to start there, but remember buying these lights might hit your wallet hard.

5. yeah that's one of the reasons the Cfls were looking good, because their cheap lol. I'll do some looking into led lights. for sale 2 plants what wattage should I be looking at?

6. I could not tell you, like I said my knowledge on LED's is limited.

Search around GC I'm sure someone has written a LED guide.

7. I did my whole setup in CFL's, it is very annoying to move them around to maximize lumens penetration. I really recommend getting a 400w / 600w HPS, just to save you from a huge headache(ONE AND DONE). I still use some of my CFLs for the lower canopy whilst I have my HPS on :D

8. czzplnm what would a 600w hps system cost? and how much heat would it give off?