$0 Recycled Stealth grow (First time grow)

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Akkronos, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Hey guys, I'm new to all this and I guess I'm setting up just for shits and gigs.
    Currently I've set up a small grow cabinet out of recycled materials
    We have hard rubbish collection around my area where people put cabinets, t.v's, etc on the side-walk to be collected with rubbish. I also had some really old 30W CFL's with fixtures laying around + computer fans + cables + timers + CO2 tank. So basically this set up so far has cost $0

Here is a picture of what i've done so far. (I'm going to upgrade the lights to stronger tubes soon)
    Just installed lights, which plants will be elevated on racks up to about 2 inches away from the tubes
    [​IMG]

I still need to:
    ~ Install the 4 old computer fans I have in each side (With holes cut and light proofed)
    ~ Plumb a line for the occasional CO2 injection from a soda stream canister (maybe a second every week or two)
    ~ Lastly, I need to wrap the whole inside of the box with foil.
    Then I can look at seeds.
    Can anyone recommend how I might acquire seeds without people I know wanting to give any up and the strain i should look at growing?

Any advice or critisim is welcome on how I've set the box up so far.
    Just remember this is my first attempt at a grow and all materials are recycled so be kind.

(Moved from DIY section)

2. Dont use foil its doesnt handle heat well. Use mylar. YOu can buy it in rolls or buy it on the cheap by buying an emergency blanket which is made of mylar, they are like $5 max

3. Matte white paint is the shit.. get kitchen and bathroom for extra moisture dealing properties... any matte white will do though.

4. Dammit, I thought about doing this first when i thought of using foil.
    however i've already spray glued foil... i'll be able to take it down though.
    as for the matte white. i'll spray that over the floor as well as the cracks/ crevices.

Would using white silicone for bathrooms be good to seal gaps around the box without effecting or contaminating the grow room? and would sealing it really matter?

I'd like it to be ideally light proof which is a problem. Because its recycled the doors weren't in the best condition so i'll have to fix/ replace them.

Silicone, white paint & emergency blanket will still be recylced because i already have them at home :D so its still $0

5. #5 BADL, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2012
    yea teh silicone is your best bet and you can just put the mylar right over the foil, I do not see a poblem there

EDIT Im diggin the 0$ cab so far

6. #6 Akkronos, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2012
    Thanks man, Only thing i'll have to buy is some new higher lumen tubes/Starters.
    but they should be less than $30
    (current CFL's I've got have only got about 900-1300 per tube)
    oh and of course my seeds... which will probably be the hardest part
    I'm thinking of getting some sativas which won't stench out my basement. But I don't know anyone who sells seeds and I'm not a big fan of online seed banks

Already scraped off the old foil because I needed to silicone everything.
    But because the floor is chipboard i'm going to put some waterproofing membrane I've got in the garage down then paint it Matte white. (I think I've got a spray can of gloss white, would this matter)

Also, I've got 50 IR Leds (Not sure how strong) in my room from an old night vision camera project.
    I've heard that if you turn these Infared lights on for the first 15 minutes of the plants night time that the plants go to sleep faster and spend more time growing or something?
    Is these true?
    If so i'll make a circut board with them to link up to the timer, so the IR's are turned on for 15 mins into the darkness time.

7. [quote name='"Akkronos"']

Thanks man, Only thing i'll have to buy is some new higher lumen tubes/Starters.
    but they should be less than $30
    (current CFL's I've got have only got about 900-1300 per tube)
    oh and of course my seeds... which will probably be the hardest part
    I'm thinking of getting some sativas which won't stench out my basement. But I don't know anyone who sells seeds and I'm not a big fan of online seed banks

Already scraped off the old foil because I needed to silicone everything.
    But because the floor is chipboard i'm going to put some waterproofing membrane I've got in the garage down then paint it Matte white.[/quote]

You want some India's bro sativas always stretch. Get some bag seed for the first couple grows to get it down and then buy seeds you will be surprised by how they look when you get it after the bid has touched ten million hands and what comes off yor grow some nice quality bag seed that has only touched your hand

8. From what i've come across in my research on the internet, Indica's tend to give couchlock don't they? (i guess that would only matter if you have to many ambers)

On a side note, Due to my central heating system being down in my basement with the grow, would I be able to use the air that this system makes?
    It seems the good choice as the air would be extremely dry (its gas heating)
    and our house is always kept around 22c-25c
    (71.6 - 77 for people using Imperial) so i could just run a pipe into the grow box

9. OK, so I've just siliconed all the gaps I painted the whole cupboard in waterproofing membrane so the chipboard doesn't swell when water is around.
    Painted the black membrane with an off white paint pot I had.
    Next is to cover the walls with mylar and cut some exhaust holes.
    Then i'm going to look at cutting out some new doors as the old ones had swollen and wouldn't close completely. which i need if its going to be lightproof.
    So that might be tomorrows task before i go to collage.

Still looking around for seeds, found one person that MIGHT be able to get me some bag seeds but nothings certain.

If I'm able to grow this first batch I might look into making a recycled $0 hydroponics system because while i was in my parents basement a while ago i noticed they've got 3-4 different small fish tanks with all bubbling machines and pumps... so i might steal them and take them home haha.
    also they used to grow orchids so they've got hothouses, heating fans, exhaust fans... I'm surprised my parents never actually grew anything adventurous themselves they've got a fair few components for an adequate setup (from my understanding)

10. Ok, so just an update. What do you guys think?
    I've finished waterproofing, siliconing painting and foiling the box.
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately, there was some complications with this as i put the silicone down first.
    the waterproofing and paint that i used to cover everything peeled off and wouldn't take to the silicone.
    Not a big issue as 95% of the box is still covered. it was just the corners which only have waterproof silicone.

Still need to make new doors for it so they shut properly,
    Exhaust fans and Co2 port
    Make a rack for the tile to sit on so the seedlings are raised higher to the light.

Also i have a party UV light and i was told this could be useful for the growth of the plants. Is there any truth behind this?
    If so i was going to make a rig to sit in between the plants.
    A light socket wired up with a triple adapter with 2X 25W CFL bulbs 1X UV CFL bulb.

11. [quote name='"Akkronos"']Ok, so just an update. What do you guys think?
    I've finished waterproofing, siliconing painting and foiling the box.

Unfortunately, there was some complications with this as i put the silicone down first.
    the waterproofing and paint that i used to cover everything peeled off and wouldn't take to the silicone.
    Not a big issue as 95% of the box is still covered. it was just the corners which only have waterproof silicone.

Still need to make new doors for it so they shut properly,
    Exhaust fans and Co2 port
    Make a rack for the tile to sit on so the seedlings are raised higher to the light.

Also i have a party UV light and i was told this could be useful for the growth of the plants. Is there any truth behind this?
    If so i was going to make a rig to sit in between the plants.
    A light socket wired up with a triple adapter with 2X 25W CFL bulbs 1X UV CFL bulb.[/quote]

Uvb will be use full any other UV really isn't and will just add heat to your cab

12. I take it you're gonna be doing a SCRoG?

13. #13 Akkronos, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2012
    Haven't heard of SCRoG
    From the acronym i'm guessing Screen of green?
    Is it a form of sea of green?

I haven't really thought of it. Would it be better for my setup to have a SoG
    or SCRoG?
    I'm after a high yeild. while still keeping relatively high quality.
    Also i see in alot of setups there is a small fan, Should i add one of these to my setup?

*EDIT* Ok, i just researched screen of green (I WAS RIGHT! :D)
    I will definantly be looking into doing this if it increases yeild as much as it says it does
    but I first need to look into getting some seeds! :(
    My endevors into finding a seed vendor offline is proving to be quite hard...

14. I've also heard that using IR light at the start of the sleep cycle will force the plants to sleep quicker giving them more time to.... idk... sleep? :S
    Is this true and would it be recommended?

15. [quote name='"Akkronos"']

I've also heard that using IR light at the start of the sleep cycle will force the plants to sleep quicker giving them more time to.... idk... sleep? :S
    Is this true and would it be recommended?[/quote]

It's like flowering initiator to trick them that they are getting more sleep then they really are?

16. Hmmm, i'm not sure if i can be bothered adding the IR lights then this time round.
    I was hoping to make this system automated so i've somewhat pinched an idea from a fellow on youtube. however i'd put mine on a timer to run slow drippers directly into the pot for 15 minutes a day.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV5wpnQ2NT4]How to Build a Plant Cloner From a 5 Gallon Bucket - YouTube[/ame]
    Now I understand that this may raise the humidity. So to combat that I would put silicone sachets into the box in the masses... when they fill up, microwave moisture out and return to box.
    After figuring out an auto watering system i then just have to figure out an odor control system.

As you can probably tell I don't want to be visiting the basement everyday as it might arouse suspicion from people i live with...

17. since everything has costed you 0$ so far spend like 100$ and get yourself a nice 150-250w HPS for flowering!!

18. #18 Akkronos, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2012
    Only problem with that is because I'm a collage student i have little to no funds.
    that's why I've got a budget of $0... that and I'm more interested in smell reduction at the moment as crops don't mean anything. if they're in the hands of someone else (cops/room mates)

I've tried getting a job to work with my schooling schedules but no takers for an 18 year old...
    That's kind of why I'm trying to start a grow... for shits and gigs and to hopefully get some money to pay for things like gas, car maintenance & registration, schooling materials while also helping out some friends who enjoy "herbal tobacco supplements".
    Hope you guys won't judge on my choices for this grow not to just be personal use...

19. This set up looks sweet. Can you post some dimensions so I can get an idea of what your working with?

20. Well i've got two cabinets but the second one will have a single sativa in it.
    haven't started building up that one yet.
    My measurement are in metric so sorry for anyone that uses imperial.

Stealth grow 1(Indicas) < this is the one that there is pictures of
    Exterior dimensions
    75cms W X 55cms H X 45cms D
    Interior dimensions (growable space)
    71cms W X 42cms H X 44cms D

Stealth Grow 2(Sativa)
    Exterior Dimensions
    56cms W X 95cms H X 42cms D
    Interior Dimensions (Haven't calculated growable space)
    51cms W X 92.5cms H X 40cms D

I got both these wooden cabinets for free but the Stealth grow 2 box was in alot better condition being made from pine and having no physical damage.
    so it was a better place to start.