0.25 cu. ft. / Worlds smallest growbox

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by hippie john, Nov 12, 2003.

1. from a DC adapter... typically a 9 - 12v... go to a 2nd hand store and look in the electronics section... there will usually be a box with a shitload of little black boxes with prongs and a wire coming out... just cut off the end of the wire and hook neg to neg, pos to pos and plug in....

2. about the fans you can just use any old chargers for a cellphone, rc car, electric razor ect. Im sue you have some sitting around your house. you want a 9V if its stealth because the fan runs slower but pushes less air but if it isnt stealth you can use a 12v charger. read the lable they come in diffrent ampreage ratings some are only 200 milli amp so you can only use one fan on it saftley while some are 600+ma and you can use up to 3 fans off them. most fans Aare rated in amps usualy around someting like 1.4 amps so that would be 140ma. So to convert just move the decimal over 2x.

Yea john i know what you mean i keep to my self also except when im with my 2 best friends. But im still a bit social with the few others we normaly chill with. Most people in my area are too involved in there self, esspecialy on long island. I guess its "the new york state of mind" as billy joel puts it. John where are you located?

3. im located 1/2 hour from seattle.. and its mainly your typical gap/old navy type person out this way...

and with the fans... theres 1000ma in 1 amp.... so if you find a charger that says 600ma... and have a bunch of fans that say .13a (or 130ma) you can run 4 fans off that one charger... at a factory surplus store (around here it boeing surplus) you can sometimes find some very high power converters... i picked up on for $10 that runs at 12v but handles 12a... so if i split the power enough ways i could safely run a bit over 90 standard computer fans off it... obviosly ill never have that many, but i got it just incase i need if for something (say some gadget that happens to run off 12v and draws like 5a)......

4. OOps i realizd after logging off and looking at my stuff that the fans are .14 amps not 1.4. Sory my bad, i just got back from work so i want thinking perfectly. So you move the decimal over 3x. Ill change the my last post so it reads correct so its not to confuse any skimming readers.

5. there are fans that draw over 1 amp... but not computer fans...

i beleive most daytons run from .75 - 3 amps... i'll check later..

i just reloaded windows and its still fuckin with me... so i have 3 options...

1) give my harddrive to the kid down the street and see if he can fix it (computer genius)

2) buy a new hardrive..

3) sell this fuckin PC and get a mac...

6. im gonna go to ace hardware today and pick up some 3" dryer hose, and make some homemade fittings from roof flashing... will post completed pics...

7. ahh... even though the comp is barely hangin in there i managed to get pics and post 'em....

Attached Files:

8. this is the attachme i made for on the back of the box... perfectly fits the 3" dryer hose.....

Attached Files:

9. instead of drilling one big hole, i decided to drill a bunch of 1/4" holes instead (and since my steel cutting hole saw has a 1/2" arbor (hand drill has max of 3/8") i didnt have much of a choice :p

Attached Files:

10. this is a duct tape sealed fan unit (DSFU)..... the other one didnt work to well (i dont like them little fans)... this one has no scrubber, but it'll do until i come up with another design...

Attached Files:

11. heres a bit clearer shot of one of my homemade fittings, the same kind thats on the main box (sorry about the main box picture, i know it turned out bad)

btw, thats an old gutted computer power supply.....

Attached Files:

12. this is the tray system im gonna use.... each tray is 5.5" square, and 2" high.... when rested together the total height is 2.5"... i figure i'll run afew wichs into the bottom tray with like 3/8" of water in the bottom (will only have 1/2" of room)...

although im interested in any other suggestions that might be better than drip (no bubblers or anything, pumps are too loud, i want this to be as quite as possible) (fan makes nearly no noise on a 9v adapter)

Attached Files:

13. i also picked up somemore light bulbs (i might be broke, but when is an opportunity like this gonna arise again?)

thats 10 26w CFLs for $10 (9 pictured, 1 is in the box)

Attached Files:

14. Given those three options, the choice is simple... Get a Mac! I base that off of the principal of MMJW, it's kinda' like WWJD, but not quite. MMJW stands for "My Mac Just Works," which is a principal that, with the release of Mac OS X 10.2 (and above), Apple has finally ebrased again.

My recomendation? For a normal user? Get an eMac. For $799 you can do pretty much anything, and for $1099, you can even burn DVD's!

15. my next computer is gonna be a laptop.... so i was thinkin maybe the 12" ibook, or the 14" if i can afford it (definatly not an option now)...

i cant even afford a new HD... so im pretty well fucked

16. I saw this link in your signature for a while, Hippie John, and never really looked into it until now. This is pretty awesome. I'm thinking about starting up something similar to this. I know I'll get a very small yield, but at least it could help me learn some techniques before my first outdoor grow next season. How far along are you right now? Clones in the box yet?

17. no theres nothing in the box yet... and i wouldnt recomend something this small as a first grow.... its gonna require tons of training and pruning on probably a daily or almost daily basis.... the hydro clones have been transplanted into jiffy plugs.... both bubble wands in the bubbler loosened off do they were almost dead after the weekend... damn hydroponics... so im gonna do another soil....

for a first grow id suggest something similar to the 6.7cf one down there ---\/

18. John the wick system will work fine. You need to be sure that there allot of wicks though, its ok to go a bit overboard. I would still water from the top because it wets the roots up top that might be dry otherwise. Just overwater every time so the soluting saturates the soiless mix first then the rest drips into the lower chamber. A spacer (4 marbles?) would be nice to jack up the top tray so you can fit more water i it and water less frequently. the training will only be bad for the first 2 weeks while it's in stretch, probably once every 2 days. has the clone shown roots yet? i wouldnt let the clone get too big you realy dont wnat any veg at all, mabey 3-5 days just to get its roots in the media then bend it over and flower.

19. i swear we have the same genes somehow... i was thinking of marbles also :p.... i found a bunch of custom glass marbles i got from the museum of glass:D

4 of them have roots... but im gonna let them get a bit bigger.... on monday they go into the box...:D:D

20. well, they're in the box... not many roots, but shes moved in... gonna let it veg under the stronger light a bit (maybe about 4 or 5 days, for better roots) then flower her keeping all the branches tied down.... i want the base of all the buds to be no more than 2" off the soil (i need to go over to ace and see if they have in any vermiculite)....

will post a picture once i get the tray setup (shes still in the little clone pot)...