0.25 cu. ft. / Worlds smallest growbox

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by hippie john, Nov 12, 2003.

1. well.....

here it is....

the smallest fkowering box ive ever seen.....

5.5" wide x 7" deep x 11.75" tall.....

is it possible? probably not... but im goin for it anyway...

keep ya updated....

P.s> this is just a grow for the hell of it.... if it even works it will probably only yeild like 3 grams at the most.... its just for fun:D

Attached Files:

2. another closed pic..... with a 12 oz pop can and standard bic lighter for reference.....

Attached Files:

3. Doesn't get any smaller than that HJ! :D It will be interesting to see your results.

4. john jst put a small fan on the back of her, paint it white, find or makea pot, and put a 26 w compact floro up top and your set. Gow from a clone let it root then bend it over to train it and flower a 2-4 days later. Use rubberbands and string to trian it and you should get a few grams out of that lil setup. My guess would be anywhere from 2-6 grams. A soiless 50/50 vermiculite pearlite would be a good idea since they will get rootbound quck in there and soiless it a bit more forgiving because the nutes can get to the outer root bundles.

5. you have basicially decribed my plan already... there gonna be a 2" deep tupperware tray for the vercmiculite/perlite, then has wicks running into another 1" deep nutrient res. below it... then either use a small piece of screen, or just FIM at like 2" tall and use string to hold the branches down during flowering (gonna have like 9 litte hooks around the top of the tray for tying strink to.. its a bitch trying to ancor anything in vermiculite...:p.... or maybe i'll build 2 boxes and try both:D

thats funny you mention a 26w... today i was ate ace to get a light and the biggest they had was a 26w... then the lady restocking the shelf next to me told me that their 50% off, and that the lady at the register had coupons for $3 off the 50% bringing them to $.99 a peice.... i grabbed them all (only 4 of them):D..... and i have already painted it white

and installed the light socket, and the reflector (not that its needed) and am going to test the temperature tonight with the light on to see if a fan is required (not if but what size)

6. nice deal on the lights, its great when everything sems to go your way :D. What kind of reflector did you make, a soda can one? I dotn think wick would be a good idea, I think your better off with just 3-4" of soiless mix and just water daily. Having 2" of verm/pearl isnt good becaus light can penetrate into the white soil and the roots will do horrible. A good idea woul dbe to get some of that black plastic bedliner for flower beds to stop weeds but has holes for the soil to breahe, anysywas get soem of that and either lay it on top or drape it over your container. this will allow the roots to grow to the surface and use up all the area you have for roots.

With my O grow i put a piece of plastic with holes cut in it around the pots because it was going to rain heavy and i just watered. After a week i removed the plastic. There were tons of roots at the top of the soil wich i never saw before and i just threw another 2" of soil on top of that to keep them going.

7. And a bit OT but john you hsoud clean up your work bench or at least just push everything off the end into a box then paint the table white and sweep the floor. It helps a ton when your working in a well lit, clean worktable esspecialy when your trying to find something.

8. yeah i know.. im in the process of getting stuff packed up to move... and while im cleaning one area teh rest of the shop gets all the shit thrown at it... i got the white paint finished, reflector installed, light in, and shes on a heat testto see if a fan is nessisary (just opening daily to water will exchange enough air, if it needs it i have a little 1.5" comp fan that i can install on the back (i beleive its either a CPU fan or off a video card, cant remember) and the reflector is the shitty little reflector from my cheap 150w HPS light (the $45 home depot) just trimmed up one end of it and it fits perfect...

I'll take pictures once i find my camera... havent been very well coordinated all day (like when drilling the holes for the ligth socket, i drilled them on the bottom instead of the top:p)

and im having trouble finding pearlite, so i might just do a 50/50 mix of vermiculite and soil (when i say soil, i dont mean soil im talking about the soiless mix stuff, i beleive its from miracle grow or something, but i have a 50lb bag of it.)

that would be sweet to have like a micro bubbler in there, but then that would be noisey (thus defeating the ultra stealth)

also, with the 26w bubl in such a small box (0.25 sq.ft.) it is the equivilent to 104w per sq. ft., or 6800 lumens per sq. ft.
    thus there is plenty of light...

9. Dam john i got the same numbers before when i was calculating for the wattage :D.

I think the CPU fan would be enough airflow and you will need it because cfls run hot. Even if it dosent overheat Your better off having constant circulation so your plant has the most fresh air. 50/50 soil/vermiculite dosent sound too good. You need some kind of filler thats what the pearlite is for. Your mix will be like a wet sponge all the time and no air will get to the roots. I say if you cant get the pearlite try coco coir and if you cant get that then just use your poting soil and a bit of vermiculite.

John, why dont you throw another clone in that areo-cloner of yours and get this grow going too! All you need is to make or find the container (try tupperware) glue a fan on the back and form then on its just add water :D

just messing about the water, but it is easy since you have a clone mom already.

10. great minds think alike:D

and being temps are running around 80 im gonna need to add a fan anyways... i just gotta find it.... in the shop:eek:.....

and yeah, i always get varmiculite and pearlite mixed up... pearlite is the puffed volcanic glass right? and the other is like asbestos fibers.... and i was thinking the exact same thing with using the coco fibers for airation... i think i'll just search a little harder for some perlite.. how often do ya have to water a mixture of just verm. and perlit? it doesnt seem like it would hold much water...

and those clones in the bubbler are for this grow, and the other (1 for this garden, and 2 for the other 20x18x32 garden) any that survive (all i hope) i'll give away to other potential growers....

by next week the glones should be good and rooted, and then both grows start at the same time:D...

its almost like a way of sharpening your training skills with something so small.... i think pruning will be key..

and whatta ya think... Scrog or just trqain low? i have everything to make a screen, so its just a choice of taste...

11. shit, almost forgot current pics....

this is open next to my computer... its strange having a box that you can lift with your little finger:p

Attached Files:

12. inside... reading 79f.... and bic lighter for reference....

Attached Files:

13. i find that it hangs by the litte side handle (which is now the top) it will hand perfectly level.... could just han dit froma towel rack or anything.... hell, have it hanging from the RV mirror in the car and keep it plugged into the cigarette lighter:D

and i figured a nice stealth way to have a fan and a carbon scrubber... i went to safeway to look for a suitable container.. and found that a cake frosting container would be ideal, plus easy to cut, and generally work with... so i figured hell, ill buy a cake mix as well (they were on sale) and made a cake, used all the frosting on the cake... and now i have the perfect caontainer for a mini scrubber + munchies for at least a week...

i figured id use about a foot of 3" dryer hose (i'd use 2", but i dont think it goes that small) to connect t a homemade adapter on the back of the box, just under the ligth, going into the little scrubber (via another homemade adapter)...

picture.....

Attached Files:

• fans.jpg
      fans.jpg
      File size:
      31.6 KB
      Views:
  14. there isnt much room for scrog, you will only have 3-6 colas tops so your better off individualy controlling each one to where yoy want it durringt he stretch then when ther done stretching just keep them from touching the light. I think you haev more hten enough light in that box judging from the light inensity captured by the camera.

15. i wouldnt go by the camera... this is a shitty, extremly light sensitive 430 camera...... but by the calculations it has more than enough...

and i was laying out a scrog sreen (border made from cardboard as a test unit) and i found that there will only be about 4 complete holes if 2" screen were used... so i guess its just gonna be bend and trim... good call...

i need to go to petsmart or something this weekend and get carbon.... with this tiny little srubber a 1lb jar is gonna last forever...

16. HJ, I must say, you are everything I hope to be one day!

Congrats on the idea, and be very sure to keep giving updates!

17. oh c'mon now... im sure you could amount to more than HJ status...

im just now getting things together towards an AS degree.... and pretty muchdropped out of highschool..... so by all standards i/m pretty much a stoned highschool dropout loser (although i did graduate:D) still cant find a goddamn job... and will be lving under a bridge soon (tapping into county power using stolen street lights to have an outdoor indoor setup of coarse;)) might not be that bad... i can sleep in the same box with me plants... to keep warm...

:p

18. john your just fuckin right? All i know is if i was dirt poor i would scrape up a few grand from friends willing to invest. Then rent a house for $2000 a month, i could move out of long island and rent there for much less but all my boys are here. Then buy a 400w mh for a closet veg/mom/cloning setup and buy 2x 1000w hps for a stadium SOG bubbler setup. Even if it only yeilds .5g/w you'd still get 2 pounds and at ~$3000 a pound youd have $6000. $4000 would go to the rent and youd have $2000 to spend over the 2 months. Then as your yeilds get better after optimizing the setup you should be yeilding in the .7-.9 g/w and have ~$3000 a month spending money. :D

How are teh clones doing? Any roots yet?

19. my soil clones have roots... but i havent checked my aero clones yet.... will do tommorow...

i have thought dealing... but im not really a people person (not your social type... thats why i have been on 0 dates in my life.... lmfao) but yeah... i have a friend up north that knows more about dealing and prices and such... up until recently i didnt even measure my harvests... or know the prices of weed in the area... when your self sufficient you dont need to know that stuff... just look at it and determine weather it was a good or bad harvest... and if it will last ya till the next one...

today i was at the store and wondering... has there ever been hydroponically grown potatos? I'm gonna built an aerobucket and give it a try... have any idea how much light a potato plant needs? ive only grown them outdoors... so im guessing that they need about the same as ganja... just wondering since carrots (even though they dont have much area above ground) seem to only need about 1000 lumens per sq. ft.

where do ya live? near long island?

20. How do you get power to the computer fans?thanks.