¿ What Gives Plants Oxygen ?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by degrassi2, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Okay the simple question that i have is this:

Do plants roots need to be directly on air bubbles in order to breath? Or do the air stones infuse the water with a greater amount of oxygen?

If you dont know or never read a research article on this please do not answer.

The drawn out story & question is this:

I'm now running two reservoirs. Each holds two plants. I have a cheap whisper air pumps. It puts a good amount of air into both rezes but the air stone sits in the middle of the rez between the two plants. It looks fine. However it's not fine if the roots have to sit over the bubbles to keep them from drowning. If air stones infuse the water with oxygen then my setup is fine. If plants only breath the O2 that directly touches then then I'll need to add another airpump.

answer needed ASAP. Thanks for any and all assistance.

2. #2 degrassi2, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2014
    http://www.quickgrow.com/gardening_articles/oxygenation_airpumps.html I can't tell where they got their facts from but the article looks sound. Makes me think that I can have the roots get all of their oxygen from property oxygenated water as opposed to Direct <a>air. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_water_culture Wiki</a> says that roots get the majority of their oxygen from air bubbles. As opposed to oxygenate air. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. u could get a tube air stone that will fill the bucket with more sources for oxygen

4. #4 Dro Smoe, Feb 3, 2014
    The actual oxygen used by the plant will be in a dissolved form within the water. Yet the boiling effect of many bubbles helps to reduce surface tension thereby allowing you to get more oxygen into the water. The old rule of thumb is 1 watt per gallon but I like to be a little above that.

5. Better air pump is better for your grow, end of story.

Unfortunately I could not find any specifics on this. The internet is just so convoluted. It's going to be terrible for  research in another 40 years.

wrong story & wrong thread.

Knowledge is the King that breeds new innovations.

Unfortunately I could not find any specifics on this. The internet is just so convoluted. It's going to be terrible for  research in another 40 years.

wrong story & wrong thread.

Knowledge is the King that breeds new innovations.

8. #8 Dro Smoe, Feb 3, 2014
    Specifics or not, that's the deal bro.. Before posting easily googled questions you should research the properties of water chemistry and you'll have a better understanding of hydroponics. For example:

Aeration of water. A river that flows rapidly will have a turbulent surface, with much more surface area for oxygen to diffuse across than a flat, slow moving river. Thus the atmospheric pressure can drive more oxygen into the water. Also, the turbulence created by churning waters causes air to hit the water at a high pressure, allowing more oxygen to become dissolved.

source: http://peer.tamu.edu/curriculum_modules/water_quality/module_3/lesson2.htm

Edit: Some information about your actual grow would be nice.. Is it dwc (sounds like it) or what? You said you have two plants per res but what is the res size? You'll need twice the amount of o2 per res just keep that in mind.

Okay.

10. #11 dishphead, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2014
    get new airpump if you have even the slightest question like turbo said. I run a 35L/min pump for a single bucket- you can never have too much air. to answer your actual question: both methods work. having bubbles directly underneath the roots would be better than to the side. again, more air the better.

11. colder water holds more oxy also

@ Dro smoe

if we still had rep, Id hit ya with some. good posts

12. @[member="CL4P-TP"] Thanks bro, appreciate it.. but I still have some catching up to do before i'm at your level .. good vibes :smoke: