Solipsism

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by b0bby225, Apr 17, 2015.

1. I do not believe in solipsism but it's just one of those thoughts I just love thinking about this when I'm the right amount of high because I'm no expert on the religion or mindset or whatever it's classified as but from I know is that it is the thought that everything that you know And love is just a figment of your imagination and that nothing exists except for yourself and the cool thing about this is that it is impossible to disprove because let's say you do a science experiment on the end the only way to get knowledge to you is work your brain so the experiment would just be a imagination.this is just really interesting to me And of you think About it although I don't believe this our can't be unproven. A YouTube video that explains this more is https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=zDQwVfXIOsjmoASAx4HoDg&url=http://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DL45Q1_psDqk&ved=0CB0QuAIwAA&usg=AFQjCNGJvFSci6jHXlReVBUYFi90tPaTIw
    Start at About 6 mins in its done crazy stuff to think About.

2. Solipsism sounds like another word for Idealism. [​IMG]

3. I went through a solipsism phase, and then I stubbed my toe ...

4. Solipsism kinda seems like a narcissistic cop-out of facing reality, but as you said, it can't be disproven and I am not opposed to the idea.

5. Cool video, it is definitely a lot more convenient to not believe it lol.

The phaneron is interesting because we don't see all the light in the spectrum or all frequencies of sound so we already know we're not experiencing reality as it truly is. Who knows what else is "real" but incomprehensible to humans.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a cop out. I think of it more as general awareness and choosing to believe that the self matters most, rather than all the outside noise and vitriol.

7. I was having a friendly debate with an acquaintance a few months back and when we got to the bottom of his premise it pretty much stemmed from solipsism.. Although I had heard it before I had never really considered it. I revisited our conversation after turning the concept over in my head a few times during a late night smoke and while the idea and the fact that it is difficult to disprove us quite interesting, I couldn't help but find it nearly irrelevant.

I'm all for testing and doing whatever we can to confirm that this is the ultimate and real reality... But until we find evidence that the reality we live in isn't real, we still have to deal with our day to day lives.

Still, fun concept to consider. Brain in a jar.. Or perhaps some spark of consciousness running in the background of an alien supercomputer. Who knows..

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. #8 b0bby225, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2015
    I personally think it is humbling to how much our bodies can sense like there is only a small about we even comprehend because a lot of of is just in like ultra violet that we can not see see only have a small view of what is actually occurring. Like the universe is said to be made up of. Like three fourths dark matter which can't even be seen this stuff Hella trippy