Any PC Gamers? Everyone is a console gamer now:(

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by ForestLomn, Mar 28, 2011.

1. So... just wondering. Does anyone else play games on the pc besides me? Seems like every new game that comes out is meant for some sort of console... And then gets ported over to pc with a really shitty port... Anyone else feel my frustration?

2. I feel ya'

I do not own a console, and can't quite see myself getting one either, as currently PC gaming is leaps and bounds better.

But sadly yes, most current titles with mass-appeal are at best mediocre console ports. And some are pure disasters, such as the latest two CoD games (technical issues and silly restrictions) and BFBC2 (gameplay/control).

Besides the obvious that console ports don't really utilize modern PCs resources to any other extent than allowing sloppy inefficient binaries from some cross-plattform compiler.

We had 64 player FPS fun on quite big maps back with BF42. Hell, there were even 64 slot CoD2 servers, which was, umm, chaotic but fun :p

What have we gotten recently? 32 players max on BFBC2, no prone or lean, with chokepoint filled tiny maps compared to any other proper BF title. And in the CoD universe it is even worse. MW2 I did not bother with due to no dedicated servers, and BO is limited to 16 players! It is beyond silly. It is downright stupid.

On the brighter side, there are some good PC only games around and in the pipeline. ARMA2(+OA) is great for the hardcore mil-simmer. Starcraft2 for those that enjoy RTS and HoI3(+SF) for those more into deep strategy. World of Tanks is soon out. And later this year, Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad for those of us longing for a proper PC only FPS.

And not to forget, Storm of War: Battle of Britain is coming when it is ready. The proper sequel to the venerable IL2 WW2 flight sim.

Still a few goodies in the PC gamers candy-bag. But it isn't as full as back in the days...

3. #3 exile54, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2011
    i play a few PC games actually, if your talking free i play fiesta online, allods online, project blackout, need for speed world, and as for PC games in general, well im a HUGE rts fan so i got Age of empires (all), age of mythology <3, battle for middle earth 2(i wish i could get #1, classic), command and conquer, rise of nations, dragon age origins (not an RTS but im just listing now lol) and some others, oh yeah sims 3 lmao oh yeah i forgot to add yeah i know your frustration, it ticks me off to see so many good games that i wish i could play on my PC becuse honestly i really do love the interface of a PC way more than a console, i've never been much of a fighter game guy, im always point and click or drag and drop lol, simple tasks ! XD

4. I do all my gaming on the PC now. I occasionally play a game on my PS2, but that's it. It just feels better using a keyboard and mouse.

5. Yeah I only play games on PC. I do have a broken 360 though.

My current computer is my second build. I kinda wish I had went with a console though. Computers are expensive though and it's annoying having to continually parts too keep up. At least with a console you only have to buy a new one every few or several years. If there were many more pc only games, or at least pc games/ports that were made specifically for pcs maybe things would be better.

6. PC upkeep is pretty simple. Every few years you purchase a new graphics card, maybe some RAM, etc... It's about as simple as buying a new console. Every couple years you sink another couple hundred dollars in. You just have to think that with a PC you get much more out of it than you do a console. Full browser, download whatever you want, gaming, movies, programming, etc... You can do so much more on a PC than a console. Much more worth it in my opinion.

7. It's always seemed to me that if you don't upgrade your computer once a year at least, you can't get good fps for each new game that is released. And it seems like a card that costs only $200 won't cut it for the latest games, unless it's an ATI, then maybe.

I guess I've just been doing it all wrong. :eek:

I still wish I had bought console so I could play some of the console exclusives.

8. Thank you for all the responses!

There is a great article that talks about the hidden costs of console gaming and why pc gaming is actually cheaper. Everyone thinks pc gaming is more expensive because it cost more to upgrade your computer then to just buy a console. But when you think about it, think of all the accessories you have to buy for a console. The tv for a console is always more expensive than a monitor. If you want to play multiplayer, you have to shell out $50 or more dollars for a controller every time, up to 4. And if you want to play online, you have to pay every month.

PC is free online and to play with some friends, all you need is a half decent router and a place to go. And there are plenty of other accessories that consoles have to buy that pc's dont.

As for games that I play on pc... Any and all pretty much. If you suggest it, I'll play it. At the moment, I'm really into Starcraft 2, Crysis 2, played some COD Black Ops, Battlefield BC2, I've gone back and started playing Oblivion again... Just got in on the Black Prophecy beta testing... Anything and everything.

9. But I agree that all that COD games lately have been horribly put together for PC. And I agree that BC2 has terrible limitations. No prone or lean... terrible. Some of the latest maps have not been as bad, but the majority of the maps are terrible and all lead up to 1 single point of battle. Which is retarded. Anyways... now just venting. Thanks again for the comments! Any other thoughts people? Anyone want to start gaming together?

10. SC2 is only on PC. and i imagine it'll stay that way.

11. I agree with the BFBC2 comments. I have high hopes for BF3 though. My biggest concern is that they bring back being able to strafe effectively while moving and insert a prone position. As someone who really enjoys being the Squad Sniper, holding control the whole while I'm crouching is terribly straining and annoying. I would much rather just lay down and help my team out.

12. I'm pumped for BF3.

13. Agreed about BFBC2. And very much looking forward to BF3! SC2 is an amazing game:) But blizzard's next game is going to be on console... they already announced it. Sad day:(

14. What about Diablo 3? That's going to a PC exclusive. So perhaps after that?

15. Yeah. They already have announced that and are almost done with that. This is there newest game.

16. Could you give me the link to that article? It would probably be something good for me to read.

Also, any other articles, or sites, that give you a lot of information about this kind of thing would be helpful to me. When I did my first computer build I made some very stupid mistakes simply because, at the time, I couldn't find any good sites to help me and I was told wrong by some people. My second build was better, but still lacking. I definitely want to build another computer in the future but I would like to be very serious with it and do a very good job with it.

I did find this site months ago which seems to be great.

17. There are a couple of threads in this forum (Silicon (v)Alley) where people have asked help doing builds. There are two or three recent ones that are probably still on the first page. Anyway, look into those or when you have the money, make a thread asking help on building a new rig. Many people will help out. If you want a forum that is jammed pack with computer nerds: Futuremark / YouGamers Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Those guys are definitely up on their knowledge. They could easily help you out with a build if someone here can't.

18. My only console is Nintendo 64, love that shit when I'm high.

I play WoW on and off, CS:S and BF2. I got into BF42 just before its death.

I'm pumped for BF3 and considering BFBC2.. dunno though. :wave:

19. Agreed about the BF3 again.

And i cant seem to find the article anymore... i think it got deleted from the place where i found out. You could just google it though.

I would say to just create a post about help building a rig. Many people will help. If you need any help, I'll be around too. I am more than willing to help.

As for more games... anyone else have comments?

20. Starcraft is my only PC game.

Console games are less problematic. They have less technical issues, and although the gap is narrowing they still have fewer updates.

Consoles also have better unified online gaming environments (cross-game chat, etc.).

I swear to fucking god, Blizzard makes me install another patch EVERY SINGLE MOTHERFUCKING TIME I lauch Starcraft 2. And it takes a while every time. I thought that was why there was a damned beta test; to get it working properly before release!