plants may be burning but unsure please help ! with pics

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by DurtySwede, Nov 6, 2011.

1. hey guys so I built a grow box from scratch which im very proud of, and I thought everything would work perfect but it seems the light is burning my little plants. I'm using a 150 watt hps lamp and keep the plants at a distance where it's safe. I also mist water on them whenever I take the cover off to check on them. I have an intake and exhaust system and a little fan blowing on them. the temperature fluctuates between 74-82 F and I don't know the humidity... but I keep a container of water in there for water to evaporate. I'm wondering maybe it is to dry underneath the stairs in the basement where I keep the box ? this is also my first grow so any other tips or suggestions are appreciated :)

theres pictures in the attachments, thanks for your time everyone !

Attached Files:

2. Im sorry about the lines in the pictures of the box, I'm using my phone camera. and I can also take better pictures I was just in a rush to post this.

3. you need more adequate ventilation...like a bigger oscilliating fan or somthing. get those leaves moving. it probablly wouldnt hurt to keep it a little cooler in there also.

they look like theyve recieved some nute burn. careful of how many nutrients you add, and make sure your pHes are in range (6.4-6.8) before watering anything.

4. Are the leaves supposed to be moving a lot like kind of violently ? I have them moving right now as if they were in a breeze I'm scared to have them moving anymore because it looks like it would be too much and I could harm them...

I only started adding nutes for the first time yesterday and the yellow (burnt) looking parts of the leaves started showing around a week ago. The nutes I added yesterday I made sure I followed the instructions and even added more water than I was supposed to just so it wouldnt be as strong. but I have seen pictures of nute burns and it looks quite similar :S thanks for the help :)

5. Similar because it's nute burn you are looking at. Your soil was too hot for the degree of developement at the time, hypernitrification...nute burn.

Generally, if you see nute burn, you don't feed them nutes...just water.

What's it planted it in?

6. The nute burn started around 9 days ago, I've been watering them without nutes once every 3 days. I've only given them nutes once and that was yesterday and I haven't watered since. I'm using Dutch Formula A and B for seedlings and growth

they're in potting soil, it's a mixture with compost and other stuff like perlite

I was thinking maybe it could be a deficiency ?

7. Thanks vostok the chart look very handy, which one would you say it looks like ?

8. Hmmmmmm.... Your behavior suggests this..
    http://forum.grasscity.com/blogs/vostok/28541-heat-stress.html

possibly this
    http://forum.grasscity.com/blogs/vostok/28542-nutrient-solution-burn.html

or this

http://forum.grasscity.com/blogs/vostok/28546-nitrogen-deficiencies.html

You have done well to include a fan with the small HPS, but don't forget that not all light of the required frequency is available to these vegging plants.
    Growers are only too familiar with the requirement to feed the vegging plants in the 6500 kelvin range,(cool white) whilst you are vegging in the red, or 2700 kelvin range,
    this may not be apparently obvious and perhaps not you current problem, red(2700k) is great for stalky growth, the blue (6500k) for bushy growth

I'd assume the latter, get a spray bottle, 1 pint, half a teaspoon on seaweed fert, mix with good water and spray the leaves 2 x a day, for a week

peace
    "V"

9. Compost can be made of any number of available substances and can be very hot...I think that it is nute burn that you are looking at, and I stated that, but so did buckeye...you seem to want to feed them more nutes to fix a 'deficiency', I guess if you do and it looks better it was one. If it turns out to be nute burn that we are looking at in the pictures, you will know after you feed them. Sometimes we just have to learn by doing, not listening...and ya never know, it might really like that nutrient mix...keep us posted.

10. im gonna lean more towards skunks side concerning this issue....theyre too young to have deff. to any significant degree. theyre never too old or young to burn.

also, when your plants are on the younger side < 3 weeks old you have to be carefull w/ misting them and how close to the light you put them....and just how close to the light you put them alone, this can and will do what is shown in your pics.

is it it just this plant, or all 3? it may be a delicate 'bitch'

read into what skunk mentioned(nitrification), letting your soil dry out completely and then dousing it(not slowly) allows for the relase of N in the ammonium form rapidly, which will burn your tender young roots(and some times older plants too).

good luck man

something to remember: you can always add more nutes, but trying to "take away" what youve already put on them will prove to be a HUGE pain in the ass.

11. Yeah it turns out you guys were correct it was nute burn, I watered again without nutes this time and it seems to have stopped and they actually look very healthy :) Ill post pics later today when my phone is charged.

and it was all three plants that got nute burn but it was strange because it looked different on each plant.

anyways Im gonna only give them nutes when I see signs of deficiencies.

Thanks a bunch for the input, I appreciate it !

12. heres the pics, Im gonna start LST tomorrow I think !

Attached Files:

13. looking better DS! that plain water kept your plants alive.

yah, and as youll see when theyre hungry and show signs...and you feed them...those signs typically go away/adjust. when theyre not hungry and you feed them anyways(overfert), those signs rarely fade....i know this from much exp...at failing.
    but anyways your ontrack, keep us posted.

14. I stand corrected, I apologize and agree that plants so young should not be suffering any deficiencies, unless the soil was well fertilized from a previous grow.
    Re feeding nutes to a over nuted plant is just ridiculous, but does have it's advantage in the foiler feeding technique, in which a dilute spray may be absorbed directly into the plant for a brief return to normality before once again it chokes stutters and eventually dies, it is that 'moment' that the plant recovers that the grower can DO something before the plant is lost, immediately washing the roots, repotting to fresh mix, or in extreme cases, chopping the plant up for clones, all have dire consequences for the plant.
    many thanks
    "V"