Stunted Growth, not growing very fast

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by iambuterdtoast, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Hey guys, i have some issues going on with my plants. they are 15 days old, and still are not 2 inchs tall. they are working on the second leaf set, and are in 6" pots.(they being 3). Now i had them in some shitty walmart soil, huge mistake, so i was able to get some ffof equiv. at the hydroshop, and did my transplant this afternoon.
    The plants are shaping up fine, the stem is purple where the nodes forming are green. They are just growing so slowly and don't seem to be up to par with any grow journal i see.

Now while transplanting them the roots were very stringy, and very long, not spread out in a ball. i figured this was 1. because of the shitty soil, and 2. possibly over watering. Now on one of them while trying to get it out i ended up ripping a very small portion of some of the ends of the extremely long roots, will that damage it enough to kill it? the other one transplanted just fine, and the 3rd one(the best looking one) im going to wait until tomorrow possibly when the roots are a little more dry.

Details:
    This is a lot in one so im trying to condense it for now. Running 6 CFL's, 4 6500k and 2 2700k for the time being, ina 20x24x42 box. They have been growing extremely slowly, and i cant imagine its the lights, they are 4 inchs from tops. The temps are a little high, stays around 80 for about 12 hours, then hits about 85 for the last few hours while i have closet closed. about 65 off.

Could the soil i got be so shitty that the roots just didnt take well? I also believe part of this could be from over watering, and fuck i probably became another victim.

Any help is great guys, and let me know what else you need to know.

2. Any pictures?

Could have been root bound, if the temps are getting pretty high that i believe causes the stomina to close up. (Off the top of my head here.) Which always slows the growth to a minimum.

Any signs of nute def's? Whats the PH of your water/food ?

It shouldnt be enough to kill that plant, It should recover - it will however be stressed for a couple of days.

If it was root bound, give it some time to recover from any stress it may have incurred.

I find overwatering to be somewhat difficult to do. Wait till the pot feels near nothing(weight-less) then water till i get a little bit of runoff(I might put in 1 litre into each of my plants(about 2 mins to do) then see if the first one has any run off, if not add another 500ml's till i hit that -starting to drip point. This helps me learnt roughly how much i need to give it till she's full. Then i let her sit for a good few days (4-5).

Because i dont use the 30% run off method, i flush+feed every 2 weeks :)

3. only using bottled water right now, the pH of the water is at 6.2-6.5 on the reader. There are signs on one of possible nute def. as the very tip is yellow and starting to brown, but the leaves are very green. will add some pics and more info later tonight when lights go on. Root bound sounds a lot like what is happening, and will have to deal with them being stressed out for the next few days.

thanks for the reply and maybe you can sub to this if i can turn this into a success story

4. Hey bud, sounds like you might have a Nute lockout - perhaps due to a toxic salt build up - perhaps ferts in the medium you are using are burning the plants.

Perhaps you have over fed them?

If any of the above - you might require to flush the medium.

Perhaps its time to feed them and you have not started yet?
    Is it the lower growth thats turning yellow first? if so, this could be the plant consuming itself in order to grow.

If this is the case - dont stress, just get your vegging nutes and feed it 1/4 the dosage(some tell you how much to use for young plants<-half this to be safe)

The following week up it to 1/2 strength nutes, -> following Full.

5. I have yet to feed, which is why they might have been eating themselves in the bad soil, repotting them in the new soil really helped, and i can see some new growth, which is good.
    On monday i plan on getting some FF Big Bloom, and will start 1/4 strength, and follow that regime until full strength. Is Big Bloom considered a good enough stand alone nute? I plan on getting some Tiger Bloom after i begin flowering, do you think these will be good enough for nutes through out the life cycle?
    Also I seem to be having a little bit of some heat issues. Now running 4 6500k and 4 2500k at 208watts, and my temps can get up to 88 at night. I have a 4 inch passive intake hole on the bottom, and a 4 inch exhaust fan connected to a hole in the back top of the box. There is another 4 inch fan on the inside blowing air around.
    Would it be more effective to place the exhaust fan on the inside of the box, and attach maybe 2' of ducting from the fan to the exhaust hole? I really dont want to cut any more holes if i dont have to.

6. #6 iambuterdtoast, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2011
    Would temps at like 88-91 degrees cause plants to grow slowly? At 150 watts i sit at like 85, but when i get to 200 watts i start getting to 90 at night with closet closed. I do water them a little more often (not over watering). would i be fine to stay with 200 watts at 90, or should i drop to 150 watts to sit at 85?