Buds drying out and I didnt cut them yet.

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Hello420, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Dear Grasscity,

I need some help I know what happened but the last 2 days my buds have begun to dry and I dont know why. Below is a list of my specs. Also included are pics. I LST this and all was growing great no burn no lock out. Then last week I noticed a branch with 4-5 colas on it was torn where it connects to the main stalk (No pics if you think they would help I can post them tonight) I have no idea how it got torn. Could this be causing my buds to dry it. Over the last week I've watered twice once with nutes and other without. I usally water 1 every 6-7 days but it seemed to dry out quicker since I've noticed my problem. So this time it went 3 days between watering.

What type of medium; soil Fox Farm Ocean Forest
    Indoors
    What strain? Not sure
    How old are the plants? Day 52 since 12/12 switch
    What type of lights and how many watts? 600watt HPS and 6 23W 2700K CFLs
    How far from the lights? 600 watt HPS 15 inches away in a cool tube clfs inches away
    What is your watering frequency and source of water?
    What, how much and when was it fed? Fox Farm Tiger Bloom Big Bloom Kangaroots Microbrew Sledge Hammer Black strap molasses and Harvest Moon PH up
    What is the medium/runoff pH 6.5
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? Temp 55-80 Humidity 30-40
    What size pots? 5 gallon smart pot
    Any bugs? No

Please tell me if I can save her and how.

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Why did you cut off all your fan leaves? It looks like sense you cut them all off your plant is using the smaller leaves for energy and thats why they are dying like that. Never cut the fan leaves. Looks super frosty and purple though :) props

3. #3 vodkanerd, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2011
    Thats one fiiiiine looking plant you got there man. Props =]

Im not sure why it would be drying out, unless you might be close to the finish line?

Your plant is really looking amazing and it looks like its just absorbing all the sugar restores(roots, leaves, storage cells) and sending it all to the buds (they usually do this near the end of flowering as one last push to try and pass on the genepool).

Since you say one stem actually TORE off it leads me to believe from your LTS a) your plants stems aren't very thick and b) the bud actually grew so fat it snapped off a branch.

Since everything looks cool, I cant really spot a problem

Edit: I was gonna say something about the fan leaves but I've seen and heard both ways regarding having them there or promoting direct light absorbtion to the budsites by having them gone. Potatoe. Potato

P.S can you give any tips on your LST method? It looks pretty good

4. It looks like a major case of nute burn.
    You have lots of nutes listed, what ppm's have you been feeding?
    how often?

You could try to get another week out of them in 12/12, and just give them plain water - no nutes. There's not much you can do at this point, since the leaves are pretty much dried up and gone.

Good luck! :smoke:
    Doin'

5. Have your buds stopped growing??? Are they airy as hell??? All the leaves dying and dry- crispy???I just had 50+ plants go through that, 3 consecutive harvests and now I am growing organic. You should be flushing by now, it looks like nute overkill. Are you adding nutrients to the sledgehammer? Seems like that's a contradiction. I would try and flush with pure water pH'd at 6.0 to 6.3 and only give it water. Looks stressed and it may take a while for it to come out of it, looks like it'll die before then. Did you remove the leaves? From experience that can be the cause of death. I have grown about 300 or so plants to harvest, not saying I'm pro, but from having high numbers like that I have seen a lot of things go wrong, sometimes for no real reason at all EXCEPT stress. The temp goes from 55 to 80 is going to be my first guess at something fixable. keep the night temp as close to the day temp for now to reduce stress. At most you want a 15 degree swing indoors. Add a heater at night and drop your daytime to low 70's. If your buds are airy, you might as well as flush and cut them down as I tried numerous things to save the 50 I had problems with. Nothing worked for me and the longer I left them in there the more dead they became until all I had was hash making material. Just my honest opinion. You'll have to be the judge and executioner.
    BTW I searched for hours and couldn't find help online if it's temp stress in late flower.

6. Why did you cut off all your fan leaves?

I cut a few that blocking light to lower buds 15-20 max any other fan leaves I removed were already 1/2 dead And they were just drying out and turning brown. The other thing is some of the roots are exposed could that be problematic?

Attached are pics of the tear and the thickness of the stalk.

Please tell what did this.

PS. Tips for LST this is my 1st try I pinched out new growth like crazy and keep 6 -7 side branchs and train them around Then it was about a week maybe 2 before I switched to 12/12 I quit pinching and trained that growth. Also since it stretched so long and the limbs were flexable I bent a few over to incearse light penatration. But I did that at day 20 and this is 54. Also she is nowhere near close to finishing I have another on day 89

Thank you for your help.

Attached Files:

7. did ya notice this....
    you burned them up...
    what is your ph?....Change to clean water only...now...
    You may get some smoke out of her but she is severly nute burned

8. Hey guys,
    So i'm growing cannabis outside and my one plant has started drying out leaves buds and everything. I'm living i South Africa, Western Cape so its a Mediterranean climate and i only give them water once daily i'm not sure whats happening could you guys please help me. I've attached some photos for you to see.

Attached Files:

9. 600w hps 15 inch from canopy may be to close even in a cool tube. I can't get my 600w hps closer than 22 inch in a aircooled reflector without leaf damage. Maybe because I'm using 400v. I'd flush that plant and be done asap.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 15 isnt too close for most plants. I run my 600s closer. He would of had issues before now if it was

11. That plant is trying to veg and flower... How long are your days... Exactly?

Today's Forcast... Partly Cloudy With A Chance Of Amber.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Post was from 2011

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Bud rot, cut it out and trash it or it's a broken branch

14. About 14 hours

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. That would be the problem. In flower you want 12 hours of darkness and twelve hours of light.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ok thanks

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Friendly Friendly x 1