small seedlings with discoloration

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by badmountain, Sep 26, 2010.

1. What type of medium; soil or hydro? soil
    What brand and type of soil? miracle grow organic non-time release, but planning to transplant into ffof
    Indoors or outdoors? indoors
    What strain? red dragon, papaya, royal haze, blue widow
    How old are the plants? 6-10 days
    What type of lights and how many watts? 5 23 watt cfl 6500k
    How far from the lights? 1-3 inches
    What is your watering frequency and source of water?every four days with distilled water
    What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? none
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro? n/a
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? 79 f
    What size pots? styrofoam party cups
    Any bugs? Look real close. saw one fly and killed it

so i've seen several posts on this topic but i thought i'd go ahead and post mine anyways because i've seen different answers for each post and i'd appreciate the advice of the masters here.

i've got various discoloration, ranging from brown to yellow to white. also, the some of the leafs are drooping and the growth seems stunted. i've been keeping the lights at 18/6.

i've read that this could be from nitrogen deficiency, nute burn, miracle grow soil, ph, lights, or water on the leaves. i am planning on transplanting into better soil when i transfer them to 3 gallon pots, so that should fix the soil. i haven't added any nutes. original soil has an NPK 10.5.5. unfortunately, no money for a p.h. test kit so no idea on that one, but i have been using distilled water from the store. the lights are about 1-3 inches away from the plants. the ones that are more brown, i moved further away, but i've got a fan right on them so the heat is not an issue i think. i last watered them last night with a tiny bit of water, for the first time in four days bc i don't want to overwater, and i left some water droplets on the leaves.

what can i do about these colors and what can i do to speed up growth? other pictures i've seen of seedling at about two weeks look like 2 - 4 times the size of mine, which are from about 6 - 10 days old.

Attached Files:

2. flush with 1/2-1 gallon of ph,ed water distilled waters ph may be to low
    you should get a ph tester so your ph will be right 6.5-6.8

3. thanks for the reply. just picked up a ph tester.

run off was a little low, between 6.4 - 6.6.

you were right about the distilled water, it came to 6.0

i watered thoroughly last night, but only probably an 1/8 of a gallon per plant
    is it alright to flush again today or should i wait a couple of days.

my tap water came out to about 7.4, is this okay, if i let it sit out over night to let the chlorine evaporate?

thanks again