Serious Help! Leaves curling up

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by 2st0ned420, Jun 25, 2010.

1. What type of medium; soil
    What brand and type of soil? native soil
    Indoors or outdoors? outdoors
    What strain? random bagseed
    How old are the plants? 3 months
    What type of lights and how many watts? outdoor temp is around 85-88 at the most
    What is your watering frequency and source of water? well water. Usually water when the dirt is a little dry
    What, how much and when was it fed? 3 part continuous feed part 1...0-4-2
    part 2...0-0-3 part 3...3-0-2 all of them have some sort of mico nutrients
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro? I dont have a way to ph the water
    What are the temps and humidity in the room?85-88 at the hottest time of the day
    Any bugs? pincher bugs, ants

okay well here are some picture of my baby. She was doing great till about 5 days ago when i went to go look at it. I had feed it blood meal a couple days ago before this started happening, but i have no idea if it has to do anything with this. I gave it the amount the back of the blood meal said to do. I put it on the top soil and then watered it. I come back couple days later and a lot of the new growth is curling up like a canoe.

It gets worse though. So im looking around the whole plant and I find out one of the branches slightly snapped off and there was pincher bugs living inside the part it snapped at! Where the branch meets the main stem. I have provided pictures. Its where the red tape is at. So what I did was try to get them out by spraying water then just pushed it back together and taped it up. While i was at it I also put tape on all the other branches just in case.

Next I look at one side of the branches and a certain side of the plant looked really droopy. If I remember right I think it was the one were the bugs were living in. A lot of the bottom leaves are looking a little yellow and some are even dying!

Do you guys have any idea how I can bring my baby back alive? She looks so sad right now :(. I was first thinking it was a MG deficiency. I'm not really an expert, but it was what i was reading.

Well thanks for all your help! I hope I can bring her back with your guys help! If you have any questions I'll be more than happy to answer them. Ill rep anyone that helps me out!:smoke:

Attached Files:

2. Daily bumpp

3. i think your plant might be over fertilized - too much blood meal? i know you said you followed the directions and im sure you did. maybe the soil already had a lot of nutrients in it - who knows.

if it were me, i would get on line and try to find out what kind of bugs you have/had - look for organic natural enemies, they are pretty cool. and i would flush your plant pronto. dont water again until she dries out.

if shes not looking any better is three days or so, hop back on gc and ill try to swing back around and see if i can help any more at all.

buena suerte!

4. Yes, it might not have liked all that blood meal, even if you did what it said on the box, it wasn't meant for growing weed. :p The canoeing can be a sign of Mg deficiency but it doesn't always mean that. Plus all those ferts would have made the soil acidic for a while, which could have affected the leaves. I don't really have nute problems when growing outdoors, but I guess my soil is really good.

The other problem you have is you need a cage or stakes on that plant pronto! You have already had broken branches and split stems, and there aren't even any buds on it yet. You need to make sure every branch is supported in some way, as soon as you can but especially before it starts to bud out, at which point the weight will snap almost every one of your branches if they are left unsupported.

5. #5 2st0ned420, Jun 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2010
    Hey thanks so much for the help! She was looking pretty dry this morning so I gave her some water. One of the branches is almost dead for some reason! Its really droopy and the bottom leaves are yellow and crumble when you touch them. Should I leave this branch on the plant? One of my friends suggested to just cut it down so it doesn't use its energy on that branch since its dying? But hes not an expert like you guys haha. Ill keep you guys updated on how its going.

Forgot to add that one of my friends said that he had neem oil bug spray to get rid of some bugs. But idk if that will get rid of the bugs that I have. Should I spray it with that? If so when is the best time to spray a plant?

Do you guys think I should give her some epsom salt in the next watering? Or cant you spray it on the leaves?

Anyone that can help with this please do!

Thanks in advance!

6. #6 farmerjane, Jun 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2010
    i think your friend is correct. if the branch is badly damaged the plant will spend more energy repairing than its worth.

neem oil works on a number of insects and is not dangerous like a pesticide. im not sure if you can spray it; i only ever used it once and that was 8 years ago so i dont remember now. it should say on the box or bottle label how to use it. dont spray the plant anymore once the buds have started to form. too much moisture encourages bud rot which can destroy your buds in a hurry. bad stuff.

i usually give my plants a shot of epsom salt right before flowering so id say if your girl is just starting to flower it would be a good time.

thats a big plant youve got there. i hope it does well for you - let us know how its going.

7. Alright so I cut that branch off. It was pretty bad so I think it will spend more time repairing everything else. So I was wondering If I should go but a ph tester and check the ph of the water? But since I cant test the run off water from the soil, what can I do? If you can help with this I would greatly appreciate it :)

8. im not sure how you check your ph on an outdoor grow. you can buy a kit a lowes or home depot to check your water ph and at least you would know what that is.

i think id water her really well with neutral or slight acidic water and then let her dry out for a couple of days and see what she looks like.

i hope she perks up!

9. I think Im going to go buy on right now haha. Even though I already watered it, Im just going to do what you said with the ph. Thanks for the help again.
    Try to stay on this thread to help :D
    I really appreciate it

10. You shouldn't need to check your soil pH if you're growing outdoors, I don't even adjust my water pH for my outside plants, they get what comes out of the hose and they do just fine. It is always good to have a way to check your water's pH though, and I agree with farmerjane's idea.

Don't forget about supporting all those branches somehow, it will become a problem sooner than you think!

11. Looks like the ph of the water is around 7.2

I still need to think of a way to support the plant up. Im going to work on that today

If anyone has any other suggestions feel free to help :D

12. Some of the leaves are still curling a bit though. :confused:
    Ill post a more thorough explanation tomorrow because im getting tired :smoking:
    but please help if you can!
    Thanks in advance

13. is it the newer growth or the older growth? cuz it may be that the leaves might just stay that way cuz they were damaged too much if its older growth and its only a few leaves

14. Leaves usually fold up like a taco shell like that because of heat stress. They do it because the cup that it forms prevents air from moving around across the surface of the leaf. In this case you said the bugs had broken the branches in the affected region of the plant and that would lead me to believe the leaves are cupping to try and prevent water loss.

If an entire branch is clearly not going to make it you should prune it. You should tie the broken branches to a stake so a strong wind doesn't break them while they heal. Give it some water. Spray it down with neem oil and keep checking to make sure you got all of the bugs.

If it was an over fert problem from the blood meal it would be nitrogen which makes the leaves turn dark green and curl downward like claws so you can rule that out for sure. The yellowing leaves on the bottom of the plant may just be leaves that are shaded by higher leaves so they don't get as much light and as a result they're sacrificed. You see the same thing when you over root prune a bonsai and it can't take up water fast enough to support all the leaves. Don't remove these leaves until after the wilting and tacoing stops. The plant has already stopped sending water to these leaves and a cut is just another opening for water to evaporate out of.

After it has recovered from the bugs you should remove all the dead leaves and check for signs of a nutrient deficiency. Treating for a deficiency after the stress of those branches breaking could do more harm than good imo.

15. hey thanks for the help guys +rep

Its looking pretty good right now. Here are some pictures of her :p

Do you guys think I should start it on nutrients again?
    When can I start giving molasses?
    Thanks for your help
    If you have an extra comments please feel free to post!

Attached Files:

16. wow - thats a lot of mj! she looks pretty good to me. let me know if you need help trimming;)

i dont think a shot of molasses could hurt, tho i think usually folks wait until a little later to use it.

good job +rep -- if i havent already - i can never remember.....

17. I know she is getting too big its scary haha. Shes not even budding yet!
    How much bigger do you think it will get?
    I'll hit you up for sure lol

I need to research more about the molasses or if anyone has any comments about it fell free to help :smoke:

18. Ah, those are looking nice! :D

They will grow even more before they bud, and do their whole 'stretch phase' before budding thing. I've seen outdoor plants that were 8-9 feet tall! :)

It's hard to tell from the pics, did you get some stakes in there to support all her branches? I know I sound like a broken record, but trust me, you won't be happy the day after a big rain or something and all your branches fell over onto the ground. :(

Sorry I don't know anything about the molasses, I have never tried using it.

19. Yo man those girls look pretty big already, how long have you had alternating branches for from the main stalk? How many hours of light/dark are the getting outdoor soon, and when did you start them? Looksl like heat stress, the leaves taco like that under heat stress. Try foliar feeding until it starts to flower, this can help.Best time to foliar feed is in the morning. Stop foliar feeding once flowerin begins. Marijuana when hot and dry secretes resin as its natural secretion of elements. They secrete this resiny insulation to naturally keep the plant cool;hence why you 'taco' leaves should go away once your plant is induced into flowering (treating the heat stress by producing the resin to cool the plant). Let me know if this helps! Also, as far as molasses goes. I use 1oz/gal the 5th and 6th week of flowering, then i flush and such 7th week then deprive for a while.

20. Well I hate to say it but this plant was a male :(.
    I took it down yesterday:(