sick leaves!!!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by TheDridge, Aug 23, 2008.

1. My plants are in compost soil which i transplanted in the ground 5 days ago (outdoors) since i was worried about them going root bound. I have 5 girls who are about 2 1/2 months old that range from 3'-6'. Ive been using all purpose miracle grow but stopped when i saw the tips of the leaves turn brown. Haven't used it far about a week. I thought it could be mg deficiency so I mixed 4 tsp of Epsom salt in 4gal of water yesterday. Haven't got much better, any advice would be great here are some pics.

The leaves tips are brown or yellow and or the entire leaf is brown and limp and in some pics the tips are also curled.

Attached Files:

2. And some of the lower leaves are yellow..

3. Ive also been trying to speed up flowering due to early frost in my area by putting black trash begs over at night which i remove around 9:30am. so they are on a 12/12 - 10/14 cycle. So ya Im stumped any info would be great.... thanks

4. someone has to know something about my problem, please help my poor girls from withering away. Here some more pics sorry for any glare. i thought it was mg deficiency but now i dono should i put them back on the miracle grow or flush again..?

Attached Files:

5. Ok heres my best diagnosis. It looks as though the leaves are getting wet and then the sun is magnifying the water drops and burn the shit outta the plants. Most of the time this happens when you mist the plants while your grow lights are on or during the day outdoors. Now I have a feeling you aren't misting, but I think when you are taking the trash bags off in the morning, the plant are still wet from condensation over night.Since the dew can't evaporate because of the bags, it would def burn the shit outta the leaves like that. If this is the case you want to make sure you take the bags off much earlier in the morning and back on respectively that night.

6. i appreciate the response i can def. see how that is highly possible wasn't even thinking about that, i thought it was the nutes.

7. i got that same problem but without the trash can,

do i need feed my plants with plant food?? and i never mist my plants at all
    its outdoor...

8. while this is pheasable its HIGHLY unlikely, ive grown outdoors, where it rains all over the plant and the sun shines two hours later. some plants are picky more so than others, but thats not your case. you have some pretty bad nute burn. could be a mix of something else, who knows. what you need to do is.

if this plant is in the ground, get 10 gallons or so of fresh water and flood the plants roots, on the last gallon, add half strength nutes to it. (and since you have already burnt them with regular nutes, half might really be a 1/4 if that makes sense.

what kind of mixture were you using of nutes. take half of that, then take take half of that, and add it to the last gallon.

btw get something aside from MG are you in VEG or flower?

9. Remember though, the sun isn't getting to slowly warm up and evaporate like in your instance. He is removing the bags when the sun is almost fully out. It definitely is not nute burn. Nute burn would have yellowing leaves Bordering the necrotic parts and there is barely any yellowing of the plant. The only yellowing I see is a few lower leaves which is natural, nute burn would be yellowing the whole plant. Oh and absolutely anything to do with Miracle Grow products is pure trash for Cannabis, Just FYI.

10. ya i started covering 8pm-8am so any moisture on the leaves can dry before getting direct sunlight. Today was the first day i did this and there is no new burning or yellowing but my 6' plant is a lot lighter then the others so i might flush them all anyways just to start a clean slate.

But some of the plants are not responding to good to the beg cycle, bud wise, but some really are.

11. Remember like 75% of the weight gets put on in the last 30 days. Be patient.

12. should i clip infected leaves if they are more that 50% dead or just leave them?

13. 50% dead or over and they should be outta there, at that point it takes more energy to keep them alive.

14. #14 doindia, Aug 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2008
    well for one we have what are called heat rains, where it will be 105 degrees then it will POUR down rain for an hour, and cool it off, then the sun comes back out and is burning down again, all in a days work. two-Nute burn is not yellow, it's brown. if your looking at a plant that is turning yellow, more than likely your getting nute burn mixed up with a nitrogen def. You can see a wide variety of "fertilizer burn" in the link in my sig, but nute burn is brown and crunching leaves (depending on how bad it is) as for clipping your leaves. my diagnosis is (mainly because it could be a mixture of of many things) mainly nute burn. and when you have nute burn you dont want to clip any leaves, because those dead leaves help dilute the nute burn across the plant. if you cut them off, then all the extra nutes will go to another fan and burn it etc... if i were you i would flush the plant like i said earlier. the ONLY time i pull leaves off my plant is if i can blow them off with my mouth.

my diagnosis is only my opinion of course, take it as you will.

also for your plants that "arent responding well" each strain has a different flowering period. some quicker than others.

15. i flushed it just like you recommended but since i didn't read this today before i did it all, i also clipped a lot of the dead stuff off, but im hoping the flushing did the job so it dosen't spread. And i am still on the 8-8 cycle and it seems like they aren't dieing anymore so i think that helped too.

Thanks for both of your advice!

16. I hate to burst this guys bubble but I am posting what happens when you also have TO MUCH NITROGEN from over fertilizing AKA nute burn.There are several different types of nute burn. You get the classic yellowing of leaves as well as the cracking and necrotic foliage. The leaves have to die and go yellow before they start to become necrotic, it just doesn't go from green to crunchy like that. I have plenty more pics and resarch to back this up if ya feel ya need to double check my diagnosis.

Attached Files:

17. #17 doindia, Aug 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2008
    first to asnwer your question you didnt hurt the plant by cutting the dead leave s off and many people do. its not that big of a deal

well for one those pictures are TINY however, the ones i can see arent even nute burns, its easy for an untrained eye to think that it is, and its very common for people on the internet to lean tward nute burn anytime they see something brown, nute burn ALWAYS starts at the tips of the leaves. not in the center of the leaves, the 2nd picture you posted is a magnesium deficiency you can tell because the leaf margins are losing their color yet the vein system of the plant keeps its color. i cant see the rest, but the 3rd looks like a potassium def.

LOL, you dont have to explain yourself to me. but either way you still arent making a lot of sense,just because you over fertilize does NOT give you JUST a nitrogen toxicity. over fertilizing could be Magnesium, sulfur, iron, nitro and ton of others. you never specified. no the leaves dont have to turn yellow before they turn brown. if they do, chances are you have a nitrogen deficiency or they are strong nutes but not BURNT. if you have ever burnt any plants the very very tips the size of a pencil led will be brown. chances are if you saw yellow, then what you thought was nute burn was something else. if its yellow its a POSSIBILITY you have used to many nutes but dont get that and nute BURN mixed up, keyword is burn, burnt, cripsy,brown etc... also many things play into factor, such as ph, at certain ph's, different nutrients get locked out, therefore he could have had an extremely low ph and nitrogen got locked out. if thats the case it dosent matter HOW much nute you give it, it wont uptake nitrogen so what you said about too much nitrogen is nothing but a stab in the dark. thats why i recommended a flush, which is the best thing you can do for ANY plant your having problems with. and get your soil/ph back to where it belongs, then deal with toxicities or deficiencies. i dont need your research because ive done my own hands on research for the past 23 years. none the less if your plants turn out how you like them, and my plants turn out how i like them, thats all that matters, his problem as he said earlier is going away. so our job here is done.

dridge since we have helped you you are now required by grasscity law to keep us updated on your grow... with pics ;)

18. http://www.ganjaguerrilla.net/Album3.htm ..... Everything I know is from my own experience and the thousands of hours of research on reputable research sites, not forums. I rarely ever go to a forum to ask a question, because I rarely ever need to, everything I need to get answered comes from research done and recorded,not a growers opinion on a forum. i am mostly just trying to help people that are just getting started growing, and point them in the right direction, not a grower that feels they are well established and has plants they are happy with, and yes the point is the problem is solved.

19. thats whats up, agree to disagree. +rep

20. sure will =)