Advice -what do they need? pics

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Marshall9, Apr 21, 2013.

1. What type of medium? soilless - MetroMix + perlite (its like promix)
    Indoors or outdoors? indoors
    What strain? unknown bagseed
    How old are the plants? 4 weeks into flowering
    What type of lights and how many watts? Hortilux 1000w in cooltube
    How far from the lights? about 8inches
    What is your watering frequency and source of water? RO water about twice a week
    What, how much and when was it fed? Advanced Nutrients Sensi Bloom A&B plus Big Bud. Noticed some nitrogen deficiency but it got got better after last feeding 4 days ago. PPM of feeding was 1200ppm
    What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM? Irrigation pH 6.5; runoff 5.8-6.1; I did not take an EC reading of the runoff.
    What are the temps and humidity in the room? temps 76-79 at top of canopy RH 50-60%
    What size pots? 5 gallon

I have searched the forum but haven't had luck diagnosing. I've read online and some books I have a guess as to what I think but don't know. I notice I have some yellowing of some leaves. In the first 2 pictures it appears as if the yellowing is near the top of the plant. On most of the plants it seems that yellowing is beginning at the tips and progressing down the leaves (3rd pic). I have also noticed some purpling of the petioles and veins (4th pic). When I read through books and other posts these symptoms seems to resemble Sulfur deficiency. However I have never had S deficiency in any of my plants (cannabis and non-cannabis) so it seems rare that it occurs.
    Like I said above, I am using Advanced Nutrients Sensi Bloom plus some additives. I was going to grow hydroponically but I decided, after I bought the nutes, I would stick with soil. I feed about every other watering so this equates to about once a week.

Attached Files:

2. Here are some more pictures. Notice there is some purpling of the petioles and parts of stem. Also there is some purple blotching on the leaf. I could use some help with this one

Attached Files:

3. those shots from far away seem like a perfectly normal plant into full flower. those leaves will die off because the buds take nutrients from the leaves as they fill out. the up close shots do cause a little concern. i'm sure someone will have another opinion for you

4. looks great btw. frosty nugs

5. I am just concerned because its the new growth that is showing yellowing and some purpling. I have 4 plants and its mainly this one that its happening to. Thank you for the input

6. I think the purpling petioles is related to phosphorous deficiency but in some strains apparently its also a genetic trait. Hope you figure out what the problem is!

7. Marshall9:

Been away for a while, noticed that the post you sent was two weeks old. How's she doing now?

8. Im confused...might have sent the wrong link. This is the thread I am curious about. I created it yesterday. Notice the photos. The second 2 show some yellow but also the purpling petioles, leaf, and maybe some of the stem.

9. Your girls look good. Most times when plants yellow in flower it's because they still need a bit of N. That's why I use 2/7/7 when I'm flowering cannabis, and only cut all nutrients to the plants about three weeks before chop.

10. That makes sense. I use advanced nutrients 2-part. Since they're in flower I'm using the SensiBloom 2-part. Part A is 3-0-0 and PartB is 2-4-8. So it looks like this equates to 5-4-8. I also have some "bloom" additives that have P & K. I am at about 5 weeks into flower so I'm guessing I have about 3-4 weeks remaining. I just saw some of that yellowing near the top and purpling and got a little concerned. They are about due for a feeding this week and it will probably be the last one they get.
    I appreciate the input and will keep you updated.

11. they honestly look great IMO. whats ur watering schedule? make sure u have fresh water feedings regularly when using a part nut line

stay medicated

12. I water about every 5 days. They're in 5 gallon pots. Feed every other watering. Input water is about 6.4-6.5 runoff has been about 5.8-6.0. Since runoff was a little low I raised input to 6.6 and it put runoff right at 6.0.
    Water is RO at about 15ppm. When I feed its usually about 800-1200 ppm depending what I am thinking it needs. Last feeding was last night with 1000ppm and runoff was 1400ppm.

13. I trust you're getting Ca and Mn into the mix?

14. I trust my nutrients are getting Ca and Mn into the mix....haha. I can't say I have read anywhere on the labels that it includes Manganese. I know it says there's some calcium and magnesium I've been adding but not too sure about manganese. Unfortunately the full nutrient analysis is not on the bottles but rather only online. I'll have to see which of my nutes has Mn in it and see how much I've been adding. My RO is literally never higher than 10ppm so any Ca and Mg will have to come from nutes.
    Why do you ask?...is it looking like they could possibly use some?

15. Not really, it's just that you said your run-off PH was at 6. In soil-less you'd barely be missing out on Ca, which would not be an issue for you, I'm sure, but Mn would be lock out minutely if you're not including it. That's why I asked, because the one pic was showing a minuscule issue with Mn, but doesn't appear to be troublesome. You don't have long to go, so I wouldn't worry about it, just make sure it's included. Lots of growers don't include it then wind up here wondering why.

16. Makes sense. I have been a little unorthodox in the fact that I'm kinda treating my soilless mix as soil. I water with a pH around 6.4-6.6 (depending on previous runoff pH). I am skeptical about using the hydro methods with this mix and irrigating with pH of 5.5-6.3. It just doesn't seem like it would take well to it. We use this same mix for the crops (ornamentals and some edibles) up at my work and treat it more like soil mix. We irrigate with 6.5-7 and our once a week fertilizer treatment helps lower runoff pH to about 6-6.3.

I will look online at my products' analyses and see exactly what I've been adding.

What do you think about my runoff EC?...like I said above I gave it a light feeding last night of about 800ppm and the runoff was about 1200ppm

17. I don't work with EC, nor do I work with PPM's, I simply use paper PH strips and finish all by interior grows in 6" pots. What kind of mix is this? I'd like to take a look at it and maybe give it some consideration. I've done several experiments in Coco and soil-less mixes. My next experiment will be with Gibberellic Acid, soon. The bulk of my stash comes from organic grows outdoors, so what I grow indoors is basically a charitable give away program for folks I know can use the medication, and no one knows where their medicine comes from. I have a well trusted associate who does it for me. I'm a cannabis philanthropist. I hope I don't sound as though I'm boasting because I'm not, just buzzing a bit.

18. No not at all! I like to hear people's stories and info about their grows. I too actually give away most of my crop. I don't smoke much but have family and friends who do so I give prob 80% of it away. I come from a horticulture background and went to school for horticulture so I just enjoy growing it...that's my addiction.
    My mix is MetroMix 360. Go to Sungro.com and look at their products. You'll see a tab for MetroMix. What I use is the MetroMix 360. I really like it and have been using it for some time.

That's rough for me to use pH test strips. I can't seem to pin it down when using those. Guess since I grew up in the digital age I'm spoiled with the electronic versions haha.

I guess that you plan to play around with GA just before flowering to induce flower primordia and increase density and number of flowers? That sounds like it could be fun.

So your indoors plants are all kinda small plants that you pack in there tight and flower quickly? Kinda like a sea of green but since there's not much vegetative parts its kinda like sea of buds or something! It's kinda like micro-grows but with a larger area....I'm guessing

19. Yea, but it nothing for me to yield two pounds from this cabinet. And, funny that you should mention it, my method I have coined SOB (sea of buds), with "defoliation" and "forcing" for rock solid buds.

20. Haha nice term. I like it. Interesting you use defoliation. It looks like something fun and interesting that I'd be curious to try. Do you have any pictures on the forum of your sob?