Spider Mites and Mighty Wash

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by WaxPayne, Sep 26, 2012.

1. #1 WaxPayne, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2012
    DAY 1:
    Well , I recently purchased some mighty wash after I had to remove multiple infestations from my two plants . Unfortunately I did not stop to think and take pics, I was soo concentrated on getting rid of bad leaves and buds I didn't think to which I apologize for to anyone who doesn't know what a mite or infestation look like.

Anyway I read raving reviews from numerous sites, although I was hesitant, I took the plunge and ordered a gallon of the stuff. I couldn't get to the store to get an atomizer but i remembered having a spray bottle that was never used. I am writing this 10 minutes after applying the mighty wash so yes you will have to check back.

What I have to say so far is that this stuff is not "just water" like all the skeptics say. I think a lot of people are too afraid to give something new a chance and stick so much to their old traditions that they will deny anything new. With that said, I am always willing to try and learn new things to help me improve my grow (I'm only on my third grow and the first two were each 1 plant, that I killed..newb mistakes and pests) so this being new is definitely a turn off to old schoolers which is fine because there are many alternatives and whatever works for YOU should be all that matters. Another HUGE turnoff about this product is the fact that virtually 99% of it is water. I thought it would be clear, like regular water, since the bottle contains "99.8335% water" and "0.1665%" of some other "inert ingredients". Well when I poured this stuff into a clear glass to see what it looks like, it is very light pinkish with a very milky, opaque look. If you look at it in the light , the surface contains small spots when light reflects on it, similar to if you looked at chicken broth from the same angle. Not sure what is in here but all I can say so far is. IT ISN'T JUST WATER. Don't ask me what the secret ingredients are because I have no clue nor am I going to try to find out. Someone, in another Mighty Wash related thread from either here or RIU, said you could drink it but idk about that since I now can clearly see its not just water! Lastly the price (round $46-$60 a gallon) is the third most revered thing about the product and since it is NOT A CONCENTRATE , you will be going through it quickly (get an atomizer to get max results I'm getting mine Thursday when I get my car back) with those three factors in mind this product loses its appeal. But like I said I am only on day one. If this stuff DOES work, none of that will even matter as I will buy 5 gallon jugs of it IF it starts working.

I have tried using soaps during veg, which worked for 3 days then they came back. Two weeks ago I followed a popular thread on this board and made some hot pepper spray. Now this pepper stuff worked for about 5 days I even added chopped garlic cloves on the second application, but fell short after exactly 5 days. Plus, this stuff is a total BITCH if you don't wear : a vapor mask (dust mask didnt work) and googles (not safety glasses GOGGLES) and you have to simmer it a while and you'll know it's ready when your eyes burn. I have yet to try any Avid since its REALLY expensive and contains TOXIC chemicals. Neem oil is a little messy from
    what Ive read and not gonna try alcohol solutions or rubbing my plants when they are already getting trichomes. I also bought a no pest strip for further preventive measure ($7 super cheap) but have not opened it yet because I want to test the MW (mighty wash) first.

Here some pics of the product:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are some pics of the plants during veg. Where you can see yellowing was mostly where I found the mites. Some places had tiny webs but i didnt get snap shots of them. This is the plants before they got REALLY bad (very begining of flowering is when the yellowing and foliar damage started occuring frequently) and before i did the alot of pruning.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. #2 WaxPayne, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2012
    Day 2

Well I examined my plants earlier today and I can say I haven't seen a single mite yet. They all seem to be gone. This doesn't mean they are truly gone because I know eggs can reside somewhere in or around the plants . Just last night I finished setting up my grow room. I will transfer my plants to the room this evening and will give update tomorrow. I extensively cleaned the room and then sprayed a fair amount of mighty wash in there and left everything off until it evaporated then I will put the plants in there. Anyway it seems to work although this could also be the fact that they washed off the leaves and have migrated elsewhere but either way. I spray the topsoil and the buckets too because u never know where those persistent pests can be. All in all it seems to work. Tonight I will check and update.

Heres some pics of the plants after application #2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Near the center and to the left you can see a white web. This was from the mites (thought it was from actual spider before close examination) but it washed off. [​IMG]

3. Day 3
    Well GC-er's I have some great news. After using this stuff for 3 days I have not seen a single Mite or web of any kind. My plants are now resting comfortably INDOORS and it definitelty helped with other pests. (F-ing GRASSHOPPERS!) The Mighty Wash is legit. I dont care about the negative reviews anymore because I have tested and have had proven results. Now that they are in the tent, I also hung up a Hot Shot No Pest strip and that is like the finishing blow to any mites that may have been lingering. The Strip also killed 2 hidden grasshoppers. I loved walking in the room to see them lying dead on the floor, i know it sounds twisted to you PETA peeps but I HATE the damage they were doing to my leaves and stem. As for the mites...well.. what mites? lol . Im going to come back here in about 4 days as time goes on because im still worried about eggs (can take 2-5 days to hatch) . But i gotta say even when they were outside, my mite problem was nonexistent.

Check back pics will be up on this post either tomorrow or later.

4. Mighty Wash works, but if you want to make bho I would advise against using it. Same with vaping. Unless you are partial to the taste of Mighty Wash. Maybe the Power Wash works, I never tried it?

Also beware of the No Pest Strip, those things will fuck you up..I don't want em anywhere near something I'll be smoking.

5. Mighty Wash washes off the plants with a small amount of water (I spray water after 24hrs of application of the product ) I've never heard of it having any sort of taste . The NoPest strip doesn't seem to effect me when I'm in the grow tent and when the tent is in my bedroom. I do not doubt it is putting off some chemical vapor though since it killed the grasshoppers in just one day. If you can get some more info on both of these subjects it would be much appreciated.

So far from GC and RUI there are numerous people who use all the way to day of harvest. A friend i have, who is a successful Nor-Cal grower, said he used some post harvest to get rid of some the first time he heard of MW. He said it works even after everything with NO side effects.( I'm assuming he included taste in that factor too) I'll give an update when this grow is complete.

6. WaxP i went thru a def-con 1 situation with fungus gnats...i do hydro and i live in the same room as my garden..studio apt. Had to dump the couch, have the rug professionally cleaned, repaint the cab using paint with germicide, take the whole system apart,vaccum top to bottom, ....move out for 3 days while the bldg was tented and gassed. Def con 1 kills everything i haven't even seen a ant in my bldg this year.Now I follow SG1's advice . I use RAID with the green cap every two weeks as a preventitive measure up to the last three weeks of flowering...the plants and the cab..does not hurt the plnts and doesn't stink the place up for very long...$60a gal ain't happening and i SLEEP above my gurls so odor is important. I do have a sulfur burner i made but after testing it outside i'd go with the raid before the burner

7. Hey Dr. Mengle! Ive seen you around the board quite a bit, thanks for joining my thread! :)

I haven't tried Raid. We have some at work and it kills everything (pink canister and cap) but I wasnt about to use it in my tent because of the vapors it puts off. Now these GREEN cap raid cans sound interesting. I've never tried them before. I will have to test them out on a separate grow. I hear knats thrive in hydro setups due to all the moisture and water involved. (not sure if true but I know that the day after my lawn has been watered, if I re apply water , or just walm on the lawn, i can see tons of them flying out of the grass) yes this MW is expensive but with a fine mist sprayer or an atomizer , you can make it last for a long time.

But now that you have brought up the RAID , I am very interested to see results and use. Who knows it could be the answer that many were looking for. I assume it controls all pests including mites (arachnids , not insects) . If this stuff doesn't smell I might have to switch over.

Also , who is SG1 and where is the thread to his/her method? I am interested in researching this.

8. SG1 cheap old bastard is his thread and he is absolutely the guy when it comes to dirt. .he does not do hydro...but i've learned much from him that i apply...his thread is around 400pages? I think its been made into stickies you can reference...his pics and work i can only aspire to

9. Lol at the title of the thread. Cool I will look him up thanks Dr.

10. Opps I meant old school grow advice member cheap old bastard club is really the thread name i double checked

11. I was reading up on "Raid House and Garden" it's the one in the green can. It says in the product description "use only on ornamental garden plants only, never on edible crops" . Idk if this is the right kind of Raid but if it is then I'm not too sure about using it but I'll still look into it on the thread.

12. Why the hell would you use raid on something you're going to smoke?

There is plenty of warning info out there on No Pest Strips, search around..

And Mighty Wash does not just simply wash off with water, I used the product 2 cycles ago. I don't combust anymore so I can't comment on the flavor of the buds, I had no complaints from others...but from the trim I used to make oil it completely ruined it.

I wasn't willing to turn any buds into oil from the experience I had with the trim..never again in my garden.

13. [quote name='"Marley15"']Why the hell would you use raid on something you're going to smoke?

There is plenty of warning info out there on No Pest Strips, search around..

And Mighty Wash does not just simply wash off with water, I used the product 2 cycles ago. I don't combust anymore so I can't comment on the flavor of the buds, I had no complaints from others...but from the trim I used to make oil it completely ruined it.

I wasn't willing to turn any buds into oil from the experience I had with the trim..never again in my garden.[/quote]

Raid seems to work for SG1's grow. I didn't want to use it because the product says not to use it in anything edible but if a method works for a grower, it works .

I did research the NoPest strips and I haven't seen ANY negative information regarding their effectiveness and level of safety. Have u tried them?

Mighty Wash , well this is my first experience with the stuff and it worked , and quite well. My grow isn't finished yet so I can't comment on how it affects my trim. Did the trim not have any potency ? Idk how it was "ruined" when the buds seemed to be fine. Marley, from your experience, tell me what do u use to keep pests out of your garden? Azamax? Avid? Pyrethrum bombs?

I figured now that I'm indoors pests won't pose as much of a problem as they used to. I had more problems with grasshoppers and locusts as I did mites. They would absolutely obliterate my leaves and were working their way through the stalk, just munching away my hard work. Anyways suggestions are always open and try not to be soo hard on people that are politely offering information and/or asking for it. I am
    just here to learn and give my $0.02

14. SAPP - Plant Database

Is what I use for mites.

And yes I used to use the NO Pest Strips. After reading around I decided it was best to keep it out of my garden (and virtually everywhere else as well).

15. Awesome I've heard of this neem recipe it's different from the oil though .

16. Wax, when you used the other methods did you spray every day or every 3 days or just once?
    My objection to mighty wash is not that it doesn't work, but that they won't disclose what's in it. The drops floating on the surface of the solution are oil droplets, which confirms what I've heard-that MW contains cinnamon oil. On their website they say that it contains "frequency adjusted water specific to the intended purpose" (which we know isn't doing anything) and "natural plant extracts". The "natural plant extracts" are what kills the mites, but they won't tell us what they are.

It could be pyrethrin, which is a "natural plant extract" derived from chrysanthemums and absolutely effective as a pesticide, but not something I want near a plant that I'm going to ingest. That's why I don't like it. Any time a company makes grand claims about how effective their product is but won't disclose what's in it my scam alert goes off (not that it's a scam because it doesn't work, but rather because it might contain pesticides that you really wouldn't want near your grow). But thanks for doing this experiment and I'm very glad that your mite problem is under control!

17. Yea I used it the first two days. Haven't needed to use since but might reapply tuesday so I can get any hatchlings.

Idk what is in it and idk what it will do to my plants but I'm hoping they will be ok. If it is mostly water , I'm not to worried. Also still safer than Avid . I'll let everyone know in a month or do though. So far, im liking the results . Will update with next application

I've heard of the pyrethrin based products but never have used them.

18. #18 mobitsfa, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2012
    I can say mighty wash got rid of my spider mite problem too. I sprayed on day 1, day 3, and day 5.
    In between those days I sprayed water to wash out the dead mites and the MW.

I'll always keep a bottle of this stuff on hand. I got the mites from new clones that I brought in... I always spray new cuts before putting them in any of my grow rooms now.

I've been mite free for 3 weeks.

I also bought a no pest strip first and it didn't do shit. I'm in southern cali, so mites must be resistant to it here.

Before I tried mighty wash I also used rubbing alcohol. Diluted to 1:1 with water. I used the 91% iso. It did keep the population of mites down, but they were still there. Once i stopped spraying with that, the mites multiplied like crazy.

19. [quote name='"mobitsfa"']I can say mighty wash got rid of my spider mite problem too. I sprayed on day 1, day 3, and day 5.
    In between those days I sprayed water to wash out the dead mites and the MW.

I'll always keep a bottle of this stuff on hand. I got the mites from new clones that I brought in... I always spray new cuts before putting them in any of my grow rooms now.

I've been mite free for 3 weeks.

I also bought a no pest strip first and it didn't do shit. I'm in southern cali, so mites must be resistant to it here.[/quote]

Excellent news mobitsfa ! I really think this stuff works wonders as well.

I am taking my NP (NoPest) strip out tonight since i have no more bugs to worry about except the mites. Upon further research of the NP I found it does produce harmful chemical vapors and I can't have that since my tent is located in the same room I sleep in so thankyou to marley1 for the advice. I think the strip doesn't need to be in the tent for over 48 hrs before removal because it kills the bigger insects quick another nice thing is you can put it in a ziplock to save for later use in case bugs come back .

Now back onto Mighty Wash. I hear you can actually dip your cuttings in MW and it kills every potential threat that you may have. Dip them right after you take your cuttings off the plant then use whatever method you use for your cloning process. I would do this but I think spraying would be as effective and also it conserves the Mighty Wash. At $60 a gallon of a non-concentrated solution, you would want to use every bit u can.

I have some questions for you mobitsfa:
    How did the buds turn out and how did the trim turn out? Were both smokable?
    Was there any residue left over from the MW?
    Did it leave a certain taste?

All of these seem like important questions for a more experienced MW user like yourself .

20. #20 WaxPayne, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2012
    Well its Day 5 and i just sprayed them down after not having sprayed for a couple days. I have no more mites. I have no more pests at all now (i put the hotshot away a couple days ago after everything looked dead)

I think I can conclude this thread in terms Mighty Wash's effectiveness, however, I cannot say anything for now about the finished product. Will it affect the taste? Will the trim be useable for BHO or butter? What the hell is in this stuff?? Hoping the answers to these questions will soon be revealed. Here some pictures. SORRY FOR THE EXTRA GIGANTIC PICS I cant resize right now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They look yellow due to the color temp of my bulbs but they are actually greener than I have ever seen them. This is my first grow and it was almost ruined by pests. I really wish I had pictures from how terrible they looked compared to now! I'm getting no holes in my leaves, no webs, and all the green is coming back!