Stem problems (first grow)

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Chinchar, Aug 10, 2012.

1. I have 5 seedlings on their 2nd set of leaves, and 2 of these have broken stems (still alive) and of the other 3 only 1 can stand independently. What can I do to strengthen their stems? I originally had little paper clip trellises around them, then I realized that was a bad idea so I removed them, also the light source is like 3 feet away from them so I realize stretching is a problem, but I can't really fix that. So what else can I do to help my babies?

2. How long are the stems? Can you upload a pic?

3. I can't figure out how to upload a pic from my phone, but the independently standing one is about 3 inches tall the others are lower to the ground, if I stretched them all out to where they were standing straight up probably 5 or 6 inches.

4. Sounds like a light deficiency, they are stretching beyond the weight they can hold up and are bending. What is your light setup, how close are the lights to the seedlings, type of lights, wattage, etc?

5. Well they're not in their normal home now, but normally it's a 100 watt halogen floodlight, in a aluminum foiled secret grow cabinet (4 cardboard boxes hallowed out) and I would say about 3 feet away from the seedlings, I know that is bad but the cord only goes that far down into the box.

6. If Mohammad can't go to the mountain, the mountain must go to Mohammad, lift them to the light, and dump that halogen light for 3-4 cfl's
    See my blog on ghetto blaster, use red cfl's until the stem has repaired itself, then replace with 50% blue cool white 23w cf's

See my library learn some more

peace
    "V"

7. Where do I get colored CFLs?

8. When you buy your bulbs/tubes, look carefully at the packaging it will say either warm white, 2700 kelvins(red) or cool white, 6500 kelvins(blue), your plants NEED both to grow correctly, right now! you NEED some red in their.

good luck
    "V"

9. Yes sir! lol, I'll go get them the necessary supplies, dude I cannot stress the value of the knowledge you have given me. (Seriously, not even being sarcastic, thanks man) :smoke:

10. I like 100w CFL's (blue) but u need a FAN (wind) to make stem strong & if your leaves are not slightly moving they are using all the co2 around them.
    Add dirt around stem till just top is out about 1 inch and fan. They will get strong