best strains according to EVERYONE

Discussion in 'Marijuana Seeds Banks' started by pokernaut, Nov 11, 2006.

1. a while back, i decided to take an informal statistical analysis of everyone's "top 10" lists for various marijuana strains. there were about 30 replies to go by when i created this list about a year ago. it wasn't exactly easy to do as MANY PEOPLE listed only strains no-one else did and many people didn't number their lists either. the results i compiled were mostly just counting the number of repeat results but weighting them with lists that were numbered. it is in no way a scientific survey, but it should be a handy guideline to anyone looking to add a top strain to their collection. i'll also post a link to the cannabis cup results for a second opinion. if nothing else, hopefully this post will provide a decent shortlist for anyone in the market for new beans in the most unbiased manner possible.

i decided to try and sift through everyone's votes to get a more meaningful "top list" out of it all. it wasn't easy, and there may be some errors in my data. i didn't keep track of who said what really, so if someone kept weighing in with just a new strain or two, i counted each as one vote for a #1.

i color coded the candidates in everyone's top 5 votes to try and see which strains have the highest number of votes as #1 etc. if a list was posted with no numbering, i counted the list as a "no particular order" list and counted every vote as a #6 or lower rated strain. in the case where there was a list of just 3 votes, then i counted each vote in the list as a #3 and so on. this is just so you know how i tried to sort the strains as to what's best.

i figured the more times a strain makes lists, considering that many lists were "no particular order" lists, the better it must be. there were a couple of other notes to be made... whenever someone said "any haze", i gave their vote to neville's haze and took northern lights to mean NL #5 unless otherwise noted.

considering the random way many replied, this was the best system i could think of. without further ado... here's the results:

Blueberry 19 votes: 1 #2, 2 #3s, 2 #4s & 2 #5s
    Neville's Haze 16 votes: 3 #1s, 2 #3s & 1 #5
    has the most #1 votes at 3
    AK-47 13 votes: 2 #1s, 3 #2s, 1 #3 & 1 #5.
    this strain has the most top 5s in the most popular strains, and was the first strain mentioned in at least 1 "no particular order" list.
    Northern Lights #5 13 votes: 1 #1, 1 #2, 1 #4 & 1 #5
    Skunk #1 12 votes & 2 #1s
    White Widow 12 votes: 1 ea, #1, 3 & 5
    Super Silver Haze 12 votes & 2 3#s
    Trainwreck 10 votes: 1 #3 & 1 #5
    Kali Mist 9 votes: 1 #1 & 3 #2s
    wasn't the most popular, but it was never rated below #2 when it was numbered
    Mauie Wowie 7 votes: 2 #2s & 1 #3
    Jack Herer 7 votes: 1 #1 & 1 #2
    Hash Plant 7 votes: 1 #1 & 1 #3
    Panama Red 5 votes: 2 #2s & 1 #3
    Bubblegum 5 votes & 1 #1
    Romulan 5 votes & 1 #3
    Chocolate Thai (aka Thaitanic) 4 votes & 1 #3
    Durban Poison 4 votes & 1 #3
    Big Bud 3 votes: 1 #1 & 1 #2
    White Rhino 3 votes: 1 #1, 1 #4 & 1 #5
    Vietnamese Black 3 votes & 1 #1
    Mazar 3 votes & 1 #2
    Bubbleberry 3 votes: 1 #3 & 1 #5
    Mother's Finest & Pure Power Plant 3 votes & 1 #4 each
    strains that got 3 unrated votes each:
    C99
    Flo
    Apollo 11
    Amnesia Haze

strains that recieved 2 votes:
    Lifesaver 1 #2
    White Russian 1 #3 & 1 #4
    Afghan 1 #3
    2 unrated votes:
    SAGE
    Manantuska Mist
    Williams Wonder
    Ultimate Indica
    Puna Budder
    California Orange

strains that recieved only 1 voted, but were rated #1:
    Blue Cheese
    Jack Frost
    Kawaii
    Blockhead
    Manantuska Thunderfuck
    Purple Urkel
    Headlock
    Elvis

one vote #2s:
    AWW X SSH
    The DNA
    Purple Passion
    Skunk #2
    Skunk #1 X Haze

finally, these family crosses were hugely popular, so i created a category just for strains that appeared in alot of variations:
    diesel family:
    ---Sour Diesel
    7v, 1225 (7 votes 1 #1, 2 #2s & 1 #5)
    ---NYC Diesel 8v, 223455
    ---Diesel 2v, 35
    ---Blue Diesel 1v
    ---Lemon Diesel 1v
    ---Elvis Diesel 1v
    ---Double Sour Diesel 1v

kush family:
    ---OG Kush
    6v, 25
    ---Bubba Kush 5v, 3
    ---Purple Kush 3v, 5
    ---Master Kush 2v, 34
    ---Hindu Kush 2v, 23
    ---Cush a.k.a. Green Crack 2v, 25
    ---Woody Kush 1v, 3
    ---Lemon Kush 1v, 5
    ---Lemon Lime Kush 1v
    ---Lavender Kush 1v
    ---Kush 1v

G13 family:
    ---G13 X Hash Plant
    3v, 2
    ---G13 3v
    ---Medi Man (G13 hybrid) 1v, 1
    ---G13/Haze X Sour Diesel 1v, 3
    ---G13 X Hash Plant X Vietnamese Black 1v, 5
    ---G13 Haze 1v

the rest of the northern lights family:
    ---Northern Light X Haze
    3v
    ---Northern Pride 1v, 1
    ---NL X Blueberry 1v, 2
    ---Northern Lights X Hashplant 1v
    ---Northern Lights X Goo 1v
    ---Northern Lights #7 1v

anything else that i didn't list only recieved one vote and was rated #3 to unrated.

(p.s. the ONLY way i could paste this list was by hunting and pecking for the "switch editor mode" button. hello grasscity... copying and pasting should be a STANDARD feature. this thread would NEVER have happened if i didn't go looking for the feature which should have been here where it belongs with the usual right click!) why on earth isn't copying and pasting a universal standard??? you know... you absolutely can't do that at all in yahoo.com's email?

at least i had the tenacity to find the feature where it shouldn't be and can continue posting the link to the cannabis cup reults...
    http://www.marijuana-cannabis-seeds.co.uk/cannabis-cup-results.asp?y=1989

nothing beats easy to understand info and comparisons in one spot huh? hope this helps somebody here.

2. all these people visiting this thread and no-one has anything to say? why not add YOUR favorites to the mix to make the info even more useful? for what it's worth... my votes were for
    1. "pinecone" thai
    2. kali mist
    3. durban poison
    4. mexican commercial brick

because i despise indicas and those are the only sativas i've ever smoked. i WISH i could name 10 strains i've actually liked to merely tolerated. LOL i will have more to say after i harvest all of my sativa dominant strains though.

3. lol sorry man im not experienced enough to tell you my favorite, ive only smoked a few and out of those it's G13... but i havnt even smoked much of that.

4. The fact is, the majority of people don't really know with any certainty what they are smoking. You get a bag, your dealer says it's something, so you go with it.

Even most hobby growers will only have experience with a few strains, and just name those.

Now, living in a place like Amsterdam or BC or even Frisco, and being a connoisseur, you can really get to try a lot of vaieties and really compare.

But kudos on taking the time and effort to compile the list. I have to say, no surprise there- "Blueberry" is both a commonly grown strain, and a common name to throw around 'cause it sounds good.

5. i don't have much interest in blueberry myself as i hate the taste of berries and especially hate anything that isn't sativa dominant, but i liked posting the results as they're much more impartial than i am. LOL still, i AM happy to see that neville's haze placed 2nd at least.

shopping for strains is really tough. i TOTALLY don't trust sales hype. acording to EVERY seedbank, every strain they have is the best in the world. even worse, many descriptions spew adjectives and prose like a volcano but never actually say anything useful.

sorry, but "weed that transports you to the outermost realms of experience while staying firmly rooted to the ground" doesn't tell me a dang thing about what you're actually freakin' peddling. LOL more than one bank uses descriptions just like that too. oh it sucks!

it's still true too that the results are a bit of a popularity contest too. one strain wins a cannabis cup and then gets a big buzz (as in people talking about it) going on then everyone tries it and it becomes well known. the true best in the world strains just might be the more obscure ones that only a few people have tried like blue dot which i never even heard of until i saw the top 10 lists.

just for a 3rd opinion, i'll post a link to what's left of the original overgrow strainbase, but MANY of the links are dead. still, it's more info to go by in a concentrated location
    http://www.onlinepot.org/OGStrainGuide/Strainguide/OGSeedStrainsIndex.html

personally, i think the results are a bit skewed towards indicas because that's what most people growing for general consumtion are doing and most smokers these days have never actually tried a single sativa in their lives. heck... i haven't bought a real sativa bud longer than a few of you reading this have freakin' been alive! if anything, neville's haze placing second only 3 votes behind blueberry says alot to me as i bet far fewer people have actually tried it compared to blueberry.

if you know anyone selling haze... ask them if they deliver!

hey... for more opinions on strains... check the smoker's guide out. this person has tested a heck of alot of smoke shop strains as well as hash. i found his review of cheese which i'd only heard mentioned before to be most illuminating. you'll notice too that the same strain will get a different review at a different smokeshop which can give a reader an idea of the range of results possible with a given strain. i REALLY like the way he gets into the details of the taste and effects of each strain. THAT is how ya do it!
    http://www.smokersguide.com/sg/index.html

6. Bubbleberry :smoking: grown only by one, same strain for over 12 years now and ONLY HIS/HER everyone elses bubble berry is shit and doesn't even compare to it, I even tried the medical grade from a local disp. and it was shit too.

After the bubble my second favorite right now is white russian.

7. Pok- Great info! Insight about sativa vs indica is probably right on. Thanks for the hard work.

8. hey... what's the point of knowing something if you keep it to yourself right? man, there was this major dorkhead at another forum who jumped all over some noob for having the nerve to ask them to share their experience with "the best" software was for specific tasks and he gets a major attitude and tells them to learn everything the hard way.

oh that whizzed me off! the whole freakin' point of forums is the exchange of information! search engines SUCK when you have specific questions.

as to the sativas vs. indicas debate. i don't know how "right" i am. i just know how opinionated i am and how i NEVER get HIGH when i buy weed anymore since the mid freakin' 80s. that's why i never have a dealer. as soon as one gets the slightest bit uppity with me or jerks me around, i tell them to go frog themselves. as far as i'm concerned, they aren't doing me any favors overcharging me for couchlock.

it really saddens me that an entire generation of smokers have never tried a true sativa.

the next best thing i can think of is popping $20 for a syringe of shroom spores and a grow guide and doing that. shrooms are totally alert and euphoric... alot like kali mist but aren't trippy like i thought they'd be. i only had a small handful to munch though. i bet a second dose would have been even funner. what surprised me was that they tasted just like regular mushrooms (someone told me they'd be bitter once) and they weren't at all nauseating which i was told too. i've never had so much fun walking home in the rain!

i really should look for a small fishtank or something. i have a couple of syringes of spores that i couldn't get to grow the 1st time i tried. i think it was because the vermiculite i used had water in it and it threw the recipe off.

i just procrastinate too much.

9. wow poker, that's a piece of work you've done there, +rep!!! i'll throw some strains into the mix. dr. greenthumb has some extremely good genetics. his "endless sky, grenadine and golden haze" are just top notch. you'd love the golden haze. it's acapulco gold crossed with a haze. it's a pure sativa. a friend of mine gave me some last christmas. two hits and i was out working on my truck for 2 hours. a pure sativa is a wonderful thing. so different from the indicas. i really like master kush too, wonderful taste. dutch passion has a very nice blueberry too. i read you didn't care for it. (i think that was you.) don't get the femmed though. blueberry is a bit of a picky grow to begin with. great thread!

10. i can't honestly say if i like blueberry or not as i've never tried it. i don't want to because it sounds too indy for me. i'm not keen on the taste of blueberries either, so it's got 2 strikes going against it for me. if someone put a BB bud in front of me right now though, i would definately try it. blaze (blueberry haze) sounds alot more like my kinda blueberry.

wow, golden haze does sound interesting, ESPECIALLY if it grows quicker than fussy old haze, but it ISN'T a pure sativa. haze has just a tiny bit of northern lights in it. it was probably used to pollinate a haze cutting then they kept back crossing to the haze mother i imagine.

i imagine ANY strain crossed with haze would be better or at least no worse. there are a few other pure sativa strains out there like vietnamese black & kerala that are supposed to be right up there too. i've read one review that swears by burmese at the OG guide and malawi gold sounds interesting at least. i bet a dollar (usually i say nickel) that my haze skunk beans wind up alot better than the pure skunk #1 i smoked once. it wasn't exactly couchlocking, but it was a little spacy. you might not fall asleep on what i smoked, but you might forget what it was you intended to do. LOL BTW,

along similar lines, C99 X panama red sounds like it could be plenty of fun to try if nothing else.

thanks for stopping by and adding your 2 cents. maybe i can prod you into giving a little more detail about all the strains you mentioned. i'm ALWAYS interested in reading comparisons of one strain against another. THAT'S my favorite type of research.

"strain A tastes better, but B has a better high, A is stony while B is trippy" etc.

sadly, i've only smoked 2 named strains... kali mist & durban poison. thai is supposed to be sweet and fruity, but the thai that i loved so much had a distinctive pinecone odor like some of the other sativa hybrids i've seen descriptions for. blueberry actually gets most of it's flavor from tutti fruity flavored higland thai according to DJ short himself. here... check this out if you want to learn more about blueberry or breeding...
    http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/1511.html

11. High Ho pokernaut :)

This is Chris K. the webmaster of "OnlinePot" you provide a link in a previous post on this thread the the old "Overgrow Strain Guide" that I now am giving hosting space for to keep this "Valuable Resource Online"

Now 2 things, I have some more links posted on my Seed Bank Page, That might help clarify things for you on this topic.
    Seed Banks Marijuana & Cannabis Buy Online International
    http://www.onlinepot.org/grow/seedbanks.htm

2nd thing is on your last post here on this thread that you said

"C99 X panama red sounds like it could be plenty of fun to try if nothing else."

Now C99 is an "Exelent Well Bred Strain" to smoke. "But"

"Panama Red" part of you post is for a "Lost Strain" Panama Red was lost 20 Years ago, before the seed banks, Started to Catalog & Save all the Different Marijauna Strains that are out there today. "The Real Panama Red Strain" No longer exsists :(

Its been "Over 20 Years" since it was last seen, & Well Years before "ANY" seed bank had started to save the Seed Strains, So just so you know, Bewarery od Seed Banks That Offer these "Long Lost Dead Strains" Panama RED, Arcopoco Gold, & most of the strains Names that "us Oldtimers Rember from the 70's" Don't really exsist anymore. & These seed Banks have "Just Added" these Famous Much Beloved Strain Names. To another Marijauna Strain. "As Just Hype" to help sell their seeds

Stay Well Me Dear :wave:
    Chris/OLP

12. my strain,lol,. well, its still in the making, have not came up w/ a name yet, as soon as i'm happy, w/ being stable, i'll name it:D

13. hmmm... i can't say. i've heard several growers claiming they still have cuttings of "the ancient strains". i had always wondered why if so many people do have the original IBLs, why no-one is backcrossing to them and offering them to seedbanks.

yes... it is a shame you can't buy true panama red, acopulco gold, michiocan & highland thai beans. i have popped some mexican brick seeds that were totally awesome before though. i wouldn't be surprised if some of them didn't have alot of prime IBL genes. the one i called red (as in panama) was great even in brick form. it wasn't as potent as thai, but it sure as heck was alot better than any indoor bud i've EVER bought... zero couchlock and a little trippy with tons of clarity and energy. it brought back memories. it's leaves were razor thin and it stretched like crazy too. it definately wasn't a hybrid. sadly NONE of my old stock is viable anymore.

definately share any info you have here people.

man do i ever wish i could get my hands on some 100% sativa
    mr. greengenes cherrybomb!!!!

if you want suggestions, i love coming up with names. i'm POSITIVE that the breeders who went with edelweiss & bubblefunk were people asking for recommendations that never so much as said thank you in another forum. one had a highland IBL so i suggested edelweiss after that goofy late 80s song about yodeler's risking their lives climbing mountains for that rare flower and bubblegum X skunk = bubblefunk.

i'd just like someone to say "great name! thanks!" just once! LOL

14. Bubblefunk is a great name. Thanks!

I'm gonna call my crazy half-breed-half-bagseed sativa cross "Stroombali".

-mu

15. i have to say... my favs are..(SO FAR>>>)
    shiskaberry
    original CHEMO
    and i would say HASH PLANT mmmmm tasty

16. nice gesture -mu, but it'd mean alot more to me coming from the rat bastids that used it without so much as a thank you! LOL i NEVER knew the names were even being used until i saw them listed at a seedbank which really does frost one's nads!

when i get into naming mode, i don't just give one and leave it at that either... i wrack my brain for 20 or so "clever" names just because i have so much fun trying to connect one thing to another in an unexpected way. that's how my non linear brain works afterall. LOL

please... ANYONE that looking for a really cool name... tell me what's important or relevant about the strain, or what you'd like the name to represent, and i'll go to work on it. i don't want ANYTHING except to know i found the perfect name for your baby.

heck... invent an IMAGINARY strain and i'll name that for fun.

some people like playing crossword puzzles while others like offering "band names" like
    j. edgar hoover's edible panties

17. [quote name='pokernaut']i don't have much interest in blueberry myself as i hate the taste of berries and especially hate anything that isn't sativa dominant, but i liked posting the results as they're much more impartial than i am. LOL still, i AM happy to see that neville's haze placed 2nd at least.

shopping for strains is really tough. i TOTALLY don't trust sales hype. acording to EVERY seedbank, every strain they have is the best in the world. even worse, many descriptions spew adjectives and prose like a volcano but never actually say anything useful.

sorry, but "weed that transports you to the outermost realms of experience while staying firmly rooted to the ground" doesn't tell me a dang thing about what you're actually freakin' peddling. LOL more than one bank uses descriptions just like that too. oh it sucks!

it's still true too that the results are a bit of a popularity contest too. one strain wins a cannabis cup and then gets a big buzz (as in people talking about it) going on then everyone tries it and it becomes well known. the true best in the world strains just might be the more obscure ones that only a few people have tried like blue dot which i never even heard of until i saw the top 10 lists.

just for a 3rd opinion, i'll post a link to what's left of the original overgrow strainbase, but MANY of the links are dead. still, it's more info to go by in a concentrated location

Pokernaut

Thanks for posting the link that I have to my section that has "The Entire Overgrow Seed Strain Guide. But I "beg to differ" on 1 point, All the links to "This Massive Seed Strain Report, "Do Work" All The Links!

Now Being just 1 person running this massive website. I still am slowly getting "All The "OnlinePot" Backgrounds" Switched Over Onto, This is a Very Massive Report. Over 3000+ Pages Worth, & Me getting the "OnlinePot Background" installed on "All These Many Pages." With Each Page Have To Be Done "By Hand" Writing The HTML Code" By Hand" on Each & Every Page Of This Massive OverGrow Seed Strain Guide.

The World Famous OverGrow
    Marijuana Cannabis Seed Strains Guide

Stay Well Everyone :wave:

Chris/OLP

18. hmmm....

favs... i like white widow. i wouldn't say bubbleberry is a fave - but it's easier (and as cheap) to come by as mids here. (close to umass amherst, and hampshire college - must be the bubbleberry capitol) i LOVE any haze, but can never find it - anybody in mass who can - DROP ME A LINE!!!!!!!

19. Thanks for spotting the "2 Missing growers reports pages", I checked the growers report, & YES for some reason they are missing :( But I will go & Start the work on converting the "Reeferman Seed Strain Bank Section" Next On to Onlinepot.org. I have been working from the top A to Z on getting the Overgrow Seed Strain Guide "Converted Over" On all 3000+ Pages of the OverGrow Seed Strain Guide & I will find the 2 missing pages that you are looking for, & I will get them back posted up online ASAP, So that they are "Viewable Online" & So You can find out what "Information" that you are/were looking for?

Stay Well :D
    Chris/OLP

20. Morning Everyone

I just last night manged to find the 2 brokem links that were on the main ines page for the Overgrow Marijuana Seed Banks Seed Strain Reviews. & Fixed the 2 messed up links that was on the Main Idex Page for the Overgrow Marijuana Seed Banks Seed Strain Reviews. So they are now all wolrking on the main inbdex page, If anyone spots any other broken links Please Just drop me an email, & put in it the "Complete Web page link" for the page that isn't working properly, & I will fix the link ASAP!

email me at emailonlinepot"AT"hush.ai

Peace & love to everyone,

Except Scammers & Predators of the sick medical patients

Viva The Revolution!

"Over Grow BUSH! :hello: