Apartment Growing.

Discussion in 'Security' started by ThatOther, Apr 5, 2011.

1. In a relatively large complex, small apartment.

I'm dubious enough about posting here as it is, but I would like the opinions-- growing in an apartment. How great is the risk? Is it that much greater then growing in some other location?

On one hand- I would hypothetically take a risk by buying a lot, which I would eliminate by growing. On the other hand- much more worried about discovery.

I'm thinking growbox, with carbon filters etc, small project. I am most worried about waste disposal (and the smell of that waste disposal).

2. Leave cutting in a cardboard box and let them dry to the point where you can crumble them into dust.

Check your contract and see what kind of inspections you should expect. Just grow in a closet at the very back of the appt.

The smell isn't any worse than smoking a bowl in your appt.

3. I agree with gone mad, and as long as you keep your mouth shut about you grow op your fine. I have 6 plants going im my bedroom and i live in apts so you'll be ok. just make sure you follow rule 1 DON'T TELL NOBODY. and if you wanna smoke with freinds just tell them you know a guy.

4. Cool. The knowledge that others have successfully done it makes me feel better.

No worries about the golden rule. I've seen what happens when people talk about a grow op. Not something I want to happen to me. One other person will know; they live with me. I told them if they so much as breathe a word to anyone, I shut everything down. They are trustworthy.

On that note- does having a roommate present a problem?

Also, receiving shipments. Local hydro store is expensive and hard to get to. Much easier to accept packages-- I get things shipped here all the time. That said, I'm worried it would be incriminating. Go with expensive hydro store, in that case?

I also intend to grow legal things, too. Maybe some tomatoes in view of the window, and some spices.

5. as far as ordering supplies look at it like this: yes you can use certain supplies to grow MJ but you use those same things to grow tomatoes, herbs ect.... so there is no real worry in ordering supplies and you would be surprised what you can get at home depot or lowes i ordered HPS and MH light online cost me about 100 buck lights + shipping and went to home depot the next day and they have them there i could have gotten both for around 50 bucks.

Now the roommate if he/she is cool and a real good friend then i wouldn't worry but you know that person better than any of us so you gotta use your own judgment on that one

6. Its super easy.

Grow box
    Carbon Filter

Your growing is now invisible.

Harvest time, turn all byproducts into hash, no waste, nothing to find.

7. I was under the impression that hash still creates waste? You soak everything, but that only draws out the THC; you've still got residual THC and a bunch of green stuff laying around. Is there some other method that actually uses up all the plant-matter?

8. If there is no THC on the plant then it can't be illegal. Its basically dried leaves.

I've been growing for 3 years in low income housing. Its very easy to do and I have county officials that inspect my place.

9. its safe in a grow box or a stealth box...like maybe something like looks like a dresser or night stand on the outside but its a grow box on the inside. this was as long as the smell is covered with carbon filters your wont have anything to worry about during inspections as they wont go through your drawers.

10. THC isnt illegal CANNABIS is.

11. True, but the methods used to identify the plant require testing for THC. If there is none present, then it can't be used against you.

To OP:

If I'm correct, most apartments have shared dumpsters, you're pretty safe.

12. You'd be surprised at what goes on in apartment complexes.

13. my apartment has shared dumpsters. no problem. i just recently started a grow in my closet. im not worried. ive been living here for about seven months already and i havent been visited by my landlord. roommates found out i am growing though... not a big deal for me though.

14. #14 sweetlilbushes, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2011
    Really great advice on this thread so far, about don't tell smokin buds and keep it totally on down low, if your roomate is cool, or not you will be about to find out, hopefully cool tho....people, smokers, family, friends whatever, usually always turn out to be the prob before anyone else tho, if they just would keep their mouths shut it would help.

I haven't own a house in many moons, been livin in apts. and growing for last 10yrs...i've gone thru a few fast cover up issues, apt work being done and surprise guests coming over to stay over nite, BUT if you can manage to keep smell issue at bay, you will have no probs, i grow 6-9 girls in all stages all the time. If you don't have a lot of people coming in to your place, i think you will be fine, trust the few that do, and if you don't have to expect a surprise inspection at any time for any reason from landlord or electric company.....you will be enjoying your own sweet weed soon!
    Good luck! ;)

15. I find apartment growing advantageous because the bathroom ventilation system runs through the closet which I hijacked for the ventilation/cooling system. I pump all the air to the outside 9th (ish) floor.

16. Treat your rootballs with homemade EM inoculant and throw 'em back into your soil mix. Mo more waste to worry about. Plus, recycling your soil gives your slower amendments time to work.
    As for random visitors, add another lock on your door. My locks have been changed for years now, and management has said nothing.

17. The main thing I'd be worried about if I was growing in an apartment would be management coming into my apartment. When you sign a contract with a complex you're giving management express written consent to enter your apartment whenever they want - no warrant or police necessary. This includes maintenance crews.

You can still pull it off though. Keep it on the DL, and make sure you have good ventilation (depending on how big your setup is).

I've seen shadier shit going down in apartment complexes though, so I guess it really depends where you are.

18. i agree. keep it quiet and you'll be set. some shady shit DOES go down in apartments...just the other day i was down at these apartments and they were out there selling a black market pharmacy of shit out there...it was unreal...so i think it comes down to keeping your nose clean...dont do shit to stand out...keep your grow stealth enough that it can be hidden in seconds (like a stealth box with a masterlock on it) & never leave it unlocked/open when you're not there (in case they much randomly come for an emergency while you're away). USE a carbon filter (no exceptions)! ona wouldnt hurt either.

best of luck

19. I know in my state they have to give you at least 24hr notice. I ran 3 or 4 grows in my apt bedroom closet before. No filter or anything... but I'd say smell pre/post harvest is the biggest issue. Know the law(s) and your rights. I changed the locks as well just to be safe, should be able to come up with an excuse.. I made sure to dispose at night or not at my building. gluck!

20. Disposing is easy, just tie it off in a trash bag and toss it in the public dumpster. Also if you decide to change your locks just say you lost one of the keys and thought it would be safer to change the lock. Also as a general courtesy, apartment staff will leave a notice on your door 24-48 hours before they do maintenance.