Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Lots of stems? Want keif? Try this!

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by RfLx_Wrecked, Mar 31, 2010.

1. So I have been on vacation and have had to ration my bud (and have somehow :D) but there is one little trick that helped me so much. I had lots-o-stems, you know the situation. I usually save them for cooking, but being on vacation had to think of something more rational!

I took all the stems I had, threw them in a seperate baggy, and put it in the freezer. Every 15-30 minutes, I shake it up and crunch the stems together (carefully as to not puncture the bag) and set it back it the freezer. repeat a few times then look at the bottom of the baggy and smile:D you have a very good amount of keif to place on a few pinches of bud:smoking:

Stems are coated with crystals if you look closely, the same cyrstals we all love to see on our flowers. When you freeze the stems, the crystals become VERY brital and will fall off if handled roughly. To seperate there are a few options. Dumping the bag out on a flat table, shaking the bag out, use a credit card or laminated anything to use as a scrapper to pile the keif up. then PICK UP the stems and replace them in the bag. Don't just slide the stems off the table or you will drag lots of precious keif with it:( This method is more time consuming, but allows for a more thorough sweep.

Second you can always use a fine screen, dump the bag on top of it, and slide the stems slowy over it, collecting the keif beneath. Scoop it up and smoke it!

I have had this bag of stems for about 2 weeks, and am STILL getting keif out of it. I usually will allow 1 day of keif to collect, then smoke it at night:smoking:

Hope this helps if you are oversupplied with stems!!

2. if you put your stems in the grinder, and just grind them up softly as to not have them break up enough to fall thru, then shake, then grind a bit, then shake, all tha keif comes of in a jiffy. And if you have a kief catching grinder, the super fine keif falls thru and you have 2 different qualities....its awesome...i spelled keif 2 different ways...too high

3. See I have done this too, I think the whole freezing thing really improves the amount that will come off, not one broken stem, and still getting keif after 2 weeks!

4. thanks for the tip, will defiantly try this if I have really stemy buds.

5. yeah when i get some weed i will definatly save the stem and make me some keif = D

6. Thanks for the tip, i will have to try this.

7. Thanks bro, I gotta start saving my stems!

8. How many stems are you talking?

9. I've tried this and don't find it to work all to well imo. Looked at under magnification what you end up with is a bunch of small stem particles with a few trichomes mixed in.

Don't grind stems either that just makes it even worse. Pointless as well being any trics are on the outside. You're mainly smoking ground stem.

Qwiso I think is the best option when dealing with stems. That or cooking.

10. QWISO, Cooking or freezing/silk screening are the best way to handle good stems.

And those are only stems with visible trichromes. Don't always get those.

11. Pic of stem to keif ratio?

12. damn i gotta try that
    i have a ton of stems right now
    low on bud
    actually im pretty sure its all gone
    damn...

13. Gonna try this. Have a lot of stems just building up - maybe I'll get some of the good.

14. I have about 5.5 grams of stems right now in a baggie chillin my freezer, hoping to get a lot of keif from this. All the stems came from a pretty nice dank batch which was had quite a few more stems then I would've liked, but hey this method I'll be sure to have a SHITLOAD, visible trichomes all over the stems.

Was a little curious of how long I should keep them sitting in there for optimal keifage :smoking:

15. You can also use a surgical blade and just scrape it off