Why does everything spin?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by adambommb, Nov 20, 2010.

1. I've been pondering this for a long time now, i just could never find anything on it, and im sure im not the only one who's thought about it.

Do planets spin to sustain the gravity they have?
    Is it possible that if earth stopped spinning, we would lose our atmosphere and all gravity we have now?
    And whats up with orbit?
    im sure im just overlooking basic principles of science, but could someone shed some light on this?

2. well if the earth stopped spinning then we would rocket one way at 16804 mph cause we have the same momentum that earth does.

3. irrelevant, cool fact but thats not what im asking

4. #4 The Botanist, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2010
    Gravity is dependent on mass, not spin. I don't think we would lose our atmosphere but one side of the planet would fry while the other freezes.

I'm not a physicist so bear with me while i try to describe orbit.

The gravity pulls on an object that is already moving(if it wasn't moving then both objects would crash into each other), the smaller object would attempt to keep going but superior gravity eventually gets the best of it. At this point, the smaller object will begin to curve into the large object. If the gravity is strong enough, then an elliptical orbit will be apparent.

Have a look at this drawing i made. It sucks, i know.
    Let's say a moon sized object was just passing by...

[​IMG]

Edit: lol for mistaking effect and affect

This may do a better job of explaining it.
    http://phet.colorado.edu/sims/my-solar-system/my-solar-system_en.html

5. fuckin atoms too. We don't know where exactly electrons are, but guess the high probability where the electron predominately "orbits"
    excited states, ground states. My mind :eek:

6. #6 fatkat, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2010
    How little particles turn into large rotating masses
    1. Imagine two points on a 2d plane pulling on one another with the same force.
    2. It's trivial to see that the point where their forces are equal would be in the center between them.
    3. Now imagine a third equal force acting on those two for a split second.
    4. The two points will be pulled towards the third object and since one of the effect of gravity is stronger on one of the two original points thus making it move faster than the other inducing rotation about 2 axis - the axis local to the two original points as well as rotation around where the 3rd object force evens out (even though it disappeared)
    5. This crude shoop should help

[​IMG]
    Resulting motion has 2 rotational axis, between yellow and the group yellow around where green was. Extend this to any number of points and you get rotation around an axis at center of mass.

7. Inertia and gravity.

/thread

8. Wouldn't spinning quickly enough add a lot of mass as the molecules move closer and closer to light speed? Spinning could have an important role. Maybe that's why spinning magnetic objects seem to float.

9. I thought this was only in the presence of really low temperatures or something. idk, this vape is getting me thinking haha:smoke:

10. Do you know how hard it is to throw a perfect knuckleball? That's why everything in space spins.

11. #12 mushroomsatsuji, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2010
    Seriously. Watch this movie. Its exactly about this and I promise you your mind will be blown

[​IMG]

12. Woah. You remind me of sacred geometry. Here is something I find interesting about it. http://www.floweroflife.org/rh-convergence2012.pdf

I haven't finished it but it blew my mind a couple times already. The golden mean spiral is prominent in the article.

13. Pi was a fucking badass movie

good read on the angular momentum :)

14. Commence Cool Story Bro

Here is some computer pseudo code logic from a 2d gravity simulation I wrote, enjoy

Let P be a particle with gravity constant Pg and position ordered pair P(x,y) and momentum vector Pv
    Let Pgvd be gravity force vector dampened by the inverse square law
    Let [0...n] be the set of particles, P in the system

Step Forward In Time
    For each P in [0...n], sum Pv with Pgvd in [0...n]
    Add Pv to P(x,y)

15. Thats funny...the golden spiral is prominent in the movie as well.

Im gonna read that article then watch to movie again

16. #17 tHe LoNLy StOnR, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2010
    Man I thought about this too. What I think is:
    - Gravity is created by Earth revolving around it's own axis and simultaneously orbiting the Sun, which in turn occurs due to The Big Bang. Seeing as The Big Bang was just a big explosion of infinite energy, thus thrusting planets outward, expanding space infinetely. But all this is just fucked, coz planets were formed after The Big Bang or so we think.
    - Now that I think about it, gravity could be caused by black holes ... Maybe ... In some alternate universe, which I believe doesn't exist.
    - I believe Earth and all spacial bodies are slowly, if at all, losing momentum, thus gravity is getting weaker, but this is nullified when taking in the next point
    - Space is nothing, it exerts no forces, it can only be deformed by other objects' force of gravity.
    - This claim seems bogus but, I think space is 2d. Don't ask me why.

All the above are just those random thoughts running through my mind when blazed, so please don't go blasting me for stating my opinion. Don't even worry I'll be watching some shows on Discovery, espescially Through The Wormhole very soon.

17. #18 Sovereign Psyche, Nov 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2010
    IDK if this is relevant but spin adds the opposite force of gravity. Gravity pulls inward while spin(centrifugal force) pushes outwards. This is why when a planet is orbiting it isn't propelled out into space nor pulled into the object, it is held between the two forces.

18. yes spin gives a centrifugal force but it's not the reason for the orbit of anything. An orbit is the total between the gravitational pull of a body and forward momentum of the second body.

Rotational velocity has 2 components to it (like all forces do) a "normal" and a "tangential" force. the normal force is always towards the center of the radius of the turn (turn or circle) and the tangential force is the force in the direction of travel (if it were going in a straight line, or the force along the tangential). At least at my school there is a class called "Statics and Dynamics", I'm sure there are some video's on youtube that MIT or someone has for the same class. Those would give you a much better understanding of how it works.

To answer the OP's question, we don't know why. Planets have spin because the atoms they are made up of are also rotating. A planet or body in space stops spinning because another body hits it giving it enough rotational energy to stop it's spin (or sometimes reverse it). What we don't know is why some parts of an atom have some spin, which give the atom a spin, etc. etc.

If the earth stopped spinning we wouldn't lose our atmosphere (from gravity at least). We would lose it because the core stops spinning and thus we lose the magnetic field around the planet which would lead to the sun blowing off our atmosphere slowly (there are other planets that this has/is happening to). As well as the side nearest the sun would get baked while the other side would turn cold.

19. I suppose you didn't understand.

Yes, an orbit is caused by one objects motion in a direction and the gravity of another object, but the spin around the planet should send the object flying away from the planet. Or the gravity should pull the object closer and closer towards the planet. This is if you don't account for centrifugal force.
    Centrifugal force is not the cause of the orbit, it is part of the structure that holds it together.