FUKASHIMA RADIATION REACHES WEST COAST SHORES

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by EarthWindWaterFire, Jan 3, 2014.

1. #1 EarthWindWaterFire, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2014
    March 11th, 2011- FUKUSHIMA power plant explodes releasing over 300 tons of radiation into the Pacific Ocean. There are signs all over west coast North America of the toxic fluid's presentsReaches San Francisco - ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1388735956.156285.jpg http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=elnuXmG5hBcEffects of radiation on humans-Although a dose of just 25 rems causes some detectable changes in blood, doses to near 100 rems usually have no immediate harmful effects. Doses above 100 rems cause the first signs of radiation sickness including:nauseavomitingheadachesome loss of white blood cellsDoses of 300 rems or more cause temporary hair loss, but also more significant internal harm, including damage to nerve cells and the cells that line the digestive tract. Severe loss of white blood cells, which are the body's main defense against infection, makes radiation victims highly vulnerable to disease. Radiation also reduces production of blood platelets, which aid blood clotting, so victims of radiation sickness are also vulnerable to hemorrhaging. Half of all people exposed to 450 rems die, and doses of 800 rems or more are always fatal. Besides the symptoms mentioned above, these people also suffer from fever and diarrhea. As of yet, there is no effective treatment--so death occurs within two to fourteen days.In time, for survivors, diseases such as leukemia (cancer of the blood), lung cancer, thyroid cancer, breast cancer, and cancers of other organs can appear due to the radiation received.Effects on marine life-1. Polar bears, seals and walruses along the Alaska coastline are suffering from fur loss and open sores.2. There is an epidemic of sea lion deaths along the California coastline.3. Along the Pacific coast of Canada and the Alaska coastline, the population of sockeye salmon is at a historic low. Many are blaming Fukushima.4. Something is causing fish all along the west coast of Canada to bleed from their gills, bellies and eyeballs.5. A vast field of radioactive debris from Fukushima that is approximately the size of California has crossed the Pacific Ocean and is starting to collide with the west coast.6. It is being projected that the radioactivity of coastal waters off the U.S. west coast could doubleover the next five to six years.7. Experts have found very high levels of cesium-137 in plankton living in the waters of the Pacific Ocean between Hawaii and the west coast.8. One test in California found that 15 out of 15 bluefin tuna were contaminated with radiation from Fukushima.9. Back in 2012, the Vancouver Sun reported that cesium-137 was being found in a very high percentage of the fish that Japan was selling to Canada.10. Canadian authorities are finding extremely high levels of nuclear radiation in certain fish samples.11. Some experts believe that we could see very high levels of cancer along the west coast just from people eating contaminated fish.12. BBC News recently reported that radiation levels around Fukushima are “18 times higher” than previously believed.13. An EU-funded study concluded that Fukushima released up to 210 quadrillion becquerels of cesium-137 into the atmosphere.14. Atmospheric radiation from Fukushima reached the west coast of the United States within a few days back in 2011.15. At this point, 300 tons of contaminated water is pouring into the Pacific Ocean from Fukushima every single day.16. A senior researcher of marine chemistry at the Japan Meteorological Agency's Meteorological Research Institute says that “30 billion becquerels of radioactive cesium and 30 billion becquerels of radioactive strontium” are being released into the Pacific Ocean from Fukushima every single day.17. According to Tepco, a total of somewhere between 20 trillion and 40 trillion becquerels of radioactive tritium have gotten into the Pacific Ocean since the Fukushima disaster first began.18. According to a professor at Tokyo University, 3 gigabecquerels of cesium-137 are flowing into the port at Fukushima Daiichi every single day.19. It has been estimated that up to 100 times as much nuclear radiation has been released into the ocean from Fukushima than was released during the entire Chernobyl disaster.20. One recent study concluded that a very large plume of cesium-137 from the Fukushima disaster will start flowing into U.S. coastal waters early next year.21. It is being projected that significant levels of cesium-137 will reach every corner of the Pacific Ocean by the year 2020.22. It is being projected that the entire Pacific Ocean will soon “have cesium levels 5 to 10 times higher” than what we witnessed during the era of heavy atomic bomb testing in the Pacific many decades ago.23. The immense amounts of nuclear radiation getting into the water in the Pacific Ocean has caused environmental activist Joe Martino to issue the following warning: Your days of eating Pacific Ocean fish are over.24. The Iodine-131, Cesium-137 and Strontium-90 that are constantly coming from Fukushima are going to affect the health of those living the the northern hemisphere for a very, very long time.25. According to a recent Planet Infowars report, the California coastline is being transformed into “a dead zone”.26. A study conducted last year came to the conclusion that radiation from the Fukushima nuclear disaster could negatively affect human life along the west coast of North America from Mexico to Alaska “for decades”.27. According to the Wall Street Journal, it is being projected that the cleanup of Fukushima could take up to 40 years to complete.28. Yale Professor Charles Perrow is warning that if the cleanup of Fukushima is not handled with 100% precision that humanity could be threatened “for thousands of years”.Sources- http://nuclear-news.net/2013/11/05/28-reasons-to-worry-about-fukushima-radiation-reaching-usa-west-coast/http://library.thinkquest.org/3471/radiation_effects_body.html

2. Brutal devastation.

3. What can be done? Is there a real effort being put towards trying to fix this? It seems like it is being ignored more than anything. Such calamity, humans will be the bane of the world and them selves if they cannot learn to work in cohesion with nature. I am sure there is a lot better technology for energy than anything that can cause this.

4. Looks like I'm going to die never being able to try sushi, salmon steak or any other type of sea food. No more tuna salads or shrimp cocktails for me. Will it be dangerous to go in the water in west coast beaches soon?

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Sorry, but this is not true.  Thanks for trying to scare the shit out of everyone, though.  Maybe you should go apply for a job at fox or ABC!

6. Just 25 rems?

25 REMS is a HUGE amount of radiation.  No one on the west coast is going to come anywhere close to being exposed to that much radiation from Fukushima.

7. #9 EarthWindWaterFire, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2014
    [quote name="smokehound" post="19272826" timestamp="1388741433"]Sorry, but this is not true. Thanks for trying to scare the shit out of everyone, though. Maybe you should go apply for a job at fox or ABC![/quote]Think what you want, but do your research first.

8. #10 MelT, Jan 3, 2014
    I did my research. The good news is:

True facts about Ocean Radiation and the Fukushima Disaster
    On March 11th, 2011 the Tōhoku earthquake and resulting tsunami wreaked havoc on Japan. It also resulted in the largest nuclear disaster since Chernobyl when the tsunami damaged the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant. Radioactive particles were released into the atmosphere and ocean, contaminating groundwater, soil and seawater which effectively closed local Japanese fisheries.
    Rather unfortunately, it has also led to some wild speculation on the widespread dangers of Fukushima radiation on the internet. Posts with titles like “Holy Fukushima – Radiation From Japan Is Already Killing North Americans” and â€28 Signs That The West Coast Is Being Absolutely Fried With Nuclear Radiation From Fukushima” (which Southern Fried Science has already throughly debunked ) keep popping up on my facebook feed from well-meaning friends.

I'm here to tell you that these posts are just plain garbage. While there are terrible things that happened around the Fukushima Power Plant in Japan; Alaska, Hawaii and the West Coast aren't in any danger.  These posts were meant to scare people (and possibly written by terrified authors). They did just that, but there is a severe lack of facts in these posts. Which is why I am here to give you the facts, and nothing but the facts.....

Read the facts at the link below.

http://deepseanews.com/2013/11/true-facts-about-ocean-radiation-and-the-fukushima-disaster/

The bad news at the Greenpeace site:
    Fukushima Nuclear Crisis Update for 13 August to 15 August 2013<span>Blogpost by Christine McCann - August 16, 2013 at 11:28</span> 6 comments

State of the Fukushima Reactors
    TEPCO and the United States Department of Energy (DOE) are reportedly discussing the feasibility of entombing the Fukushima reactors in concrete for a period of 75 years, which would allow the company to focus on the massive cleanup which will be required near the plant. Efforts to repopulate the area have been slow as a result of stalled decontamination efforts.
    In the meantime, the Nuclear Regulation Authority (NRA) has granted approval for the “implementation plan” of TEPCO's efforts to decommission the crippled Fukushima reactors, a process expected to take at least 40 years. Approval of the plan was originally expected in March, but numerous issues at the plant, including leaks and power outages, led to a delay. Experts are cautioning that the process of removing 1,330 spent fuel assemblies (as well as 202 unused assemblies) from cooling pools is likely to be fraught with danger, especially at reactor #4, where the spent fuel pool is located on the top floor of a building that was heavily damaged in a hydrogen explosion in the days immediately following the disaster. The NRA has ordered TEPCO to deal with leaks at the plant and speed up use of its Advanced Liquid Processing System (ALPS). An NRA official said, “The move will enable us to conduct regulations under a legally based authority, so I believe we can regulate the site more properly.”
    This week, TEPCO began to pump groundwater from the area near reactor #2 at the Fukushima Daiichi plant, in order to reduce the 300 tons of highly radioactive water that are pouring into the Pacific Ocean each day. Experts suspect that water is flowing from a trench designed to hold pipes and cables there, and is seeping over a barrier formed when waterproof chemicals were injected into soil. Currently, officials estimate that the trench is holding approximately 210 tons of extremely contaminated water, which contains 2.35 billion Bq/liter of cesium; 750 million Bq/liter of radioactive substances, including strontium; and 8.7 million Bq/liter of tritium. Cesium and strontium have both been linked to cancer. Workers hope to remove 70 tons of groundwater per day, although experts caution that because the exact cause of the leaks has not yet been determined, the flow to the sea will not necessarily abate.
    Meanwhile, the NRA has ordered the utility to inspect a trench connected to reactor #1, to determine whether it is now connected to the trench for reactor #2, as a result of earthquake or tsunami damage. Last week, levels of radioactive tritium in samples collected near reactor #1 spiked sharply, measuring 34,000 Bq/liter-far higher than that of samples collected near reactors #3 and #4, which measured between 210 and 1,500 Bq/liter. The NRA plans to conduct an onsite inspection on August 23, and has ordered TEPCO to find the cause of the leaks swiftly.
    http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/news/Blogs/nuclear-reaction/fukushima-nuclear-crisis-update-for-13-august/blog/46277/

MelT

9.  I always do my research when it comes to alarmist crap like this.  

10. #12 greatoutdoorsguru, Jan 3, 2014
    [quote name="smokehound" post="19273506" timestamp="1388763201"] I always do my research when it comes to alarmist crap like this. [/quote]Hahha might want to have supporting facts first before you say others Is BS.. Earthwindwaterfire has some very solid points, also just because it's not all over the news DOES NOT mean it's untrue. It is proven that most of the marine life around the pacific is contaminated with this toxin, overexposure to this over time may cause cancer.

11. so i live right by the beach in cali. should i be worrying or nah? should i stop going to the beach?

12. Damn starfish are melting man... How the fuck does that even happen?

13. #15 smokehound, Jan 4, 2014
    lol and your proof?

I like how you moan about my lack of facts while providing absolutely nothing to support your claim.

14. [quote name="smokehound" post="19277525" timestamp="1388813026"]lol and your proof? I like how you moan about my lack of facts while providing absolutely nothing to support your claim.[/quote]Why would I need facts when they are directly stated on the top of the thread, if you would like some more supporting my evidence for your stubborn mind, feel free to check it out. ----> http://freedomoutpost.com/2014/01/36-signs-media-lying-fukushima-radiation-affecting-west-coast/

15. #17 EarthWindWaterFire, Jan 4, 2014
    [quote name="nesw" post="19274104" timestamp="1388770322"]so i live right by the beach in cali. should i be worrying or nah? should i stop going to the beach?[/quote]Honestly, I would stay away from 100% of seafood from the pacific. The tuna being pulled from the ocean all has traces of radiation, same goes for salmon as they are at an all time low, same as other marine animals. Sea lions found dead along the coast, along with fish bleeding from they're eyes, mouths and bellies is not a good sign... As for swimming in the ocean, overexposure to 100-150 REMS is the first signs of nausea, loss of white blood cells, headaches etc. 50-160 REMS is the current coastline average of radiation.Exposure to 300 REMS over time may cause loss of hair and internal harm, commonly the first signs of cancer. Some predict as the radiation is still dumping into the ocean, 4-6 years from now it may double.Sources- http://www.tworiverstribune.com/2013/03/health-front-radioactive-fish-caught-off-california-coast/

16. It is absolutely heart breaking that our government is brushing this topic off like its no big deal. As much as we would like to think this is fake, the reality is that this is a global pandemic. Many may think that the radioactive levels are low, but this is only the start. Be sure to research the marine life washing ashore. Mainstream media is hiding this from the public.

17. This is where we the US needs to be spending our current defense fund. It would probably take all of a year if we dedicated that kind of funding but nah lets just see how it plays out. I have read in multiple articles that it is far worse than Chernobyl. So why would some of you act as if nothing is happening?