ROOR carbon filter review...

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Mr. Jane, Nov 1, 2008.

1. #1 Mr. Jane, Nov 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2008
    I recently purchased a ROOR carbon filter for my new Big Brother ROOR GonG bong. My ROOR has a beaker bottom with an extended tube, a custom black labeled diffuser, and ice notches. It is overall ~19" tall and has a 18.8 mm size joint.

[​IMG]

I purchased it mostly to get some of my buddies to hush up about the dangers of smoking and carcinogens associated with smoking.

I was able to try the new filter last night. It is pretty amazing.

Benefits:

1. Significantly cleans the smoke, without filtering out THC. It took me exactly two rips, just like it always does, out of my bong to send me into the stratosphere.

2. Keeps the bong and down stem clean. I had virtually no resin, ash, or anything in the downstem or the tube. This made cleaning this morning so easy.

3. I was able to take longer rips, because the smoke was so much easier on the lungs.

4. I also noticed a reduction in the smell of the smoke, which can always be useful if you are trying to stay low key.

5. When cleaning this afterwards, it was very interesting to see how much junk the filter acutually nabbed. There was a little pile of accumulated ash on the top of the carbon.

Costs:

1. Increases drag slightly. I had to pull a little harder to burn. It wasn't annoying or significant though.

2. I had to remember to slide the bowl AND the filter with the carbon to clear the tube properly. I didn't the first time, and it was impossible to clear through the carbn filter.

Other comments:

1. It was only $30 dollars for the 18.8 size joint, which is not very much. I think it is $27 for the 14.5.

2. Activated carbon is very inexpensive, and a little goes a long ways; it only costs about $8 per pound. Did you know that 5 grams of activated carbon has the same surface area as a football field? This is why activate carbon is so effective.

3. The glass piece itself is extremely well made and exemplifies ROOR's workmenship/reputation.

4. I did not use ice last night, but I believe it inproved the smoke just as much as an ashcatcher does. Ashcatchers do cool the smoke, unlike the filter, but it was still very smooth.

Verdict:

The ROOR carbon filter is a nice little investment. It significantly improves the smoke and experience. I would reccommend it to any ROOR owner that wants something a little different for filtering out the smoke or just likes collecting odd bits of glass. It is inexpensive, but extremely effective.

2. Very nice. Ive been interested in these for awile, perhaps ill be on the look out for them more closly. +rep my friend

3. never heard of those, that's sick. Do you buy bulk carbon and put it in there or what? I'm kinda confused on how you change the carbon.

4. Ive been interested in them for some time as well... So I love to read reviews like this about them.. Im hacking up black in everything I cough up now, and I dont even smoke ciggs anymore.. I definitely need to look in to one of these.

Thanks for the review man :smoking:

5. Very nice review man. +rep for sure. Any idea how long one carbon pack would be good for before you have to change it?

6. #6 Mr. Jane, Nov 1, 2008
    Activated carbon is in granular form, so it is like very fine pebbles, but not as round as pebbles (rougher in texture).

In order for the carbon to actually stay in the adapter, you need to get a gauze of some sort that will keep the carbon from falling out. I bought 3 glass weedstar round gauzes with little bumps on them ($7-8 for three). Their appearance reminds me of WWII era water mines for u-boats and ships.

All you do is drop the gauze in the filter. It will catch on the opening of the neck of the adapter. Carefully drop the carbon into the filter. I filled mine about 2/3s full, which equals about 3-4 grams of carbon; too much carbon will prevent the bowl from fitting into the filter.

I bought some basic activated carbon online for $8 a pound, which is about 450 grams of carbon.

7. does the carbon filter work in any gong or just roor?

8. I use a Roor 18mm carbon filter on my bong as well.

In addition to what you had listed, the carbon filter also seems to provide a more clean, less couch lock type high because the smoke itself is actually missing large traces of certain chemicals after they bond to the carbon.

Also as I read that you figured out, the tube will clear 2x as easy when you pull the bowl out, immediately followed by the carbon filter.

Personally I only put about 75% of the carbon capacity into the filter so that way it creates about 50% of the total drag that it does when it is completely full to the bottom of the GonG joint.

[​IMG]

9. Thanks for the pic wootas. That will help illustrate exactly how the filter works.

Nice ladies you have their too...

+ rep

EDIT: I guess I repped you recently. It won't let me. Lame.

10. I am positive that it would work in any GonG as long as it fits into the downstem and bowl. I can't see why it wouldn't.

11. I bet you could use 3-4 grams of carbon for 3-4 average smoking sessions.

12. Thanks homie :wave: Those are the girls that are now in my tent about a month into 12/12 :smoking:

Personally I change the carbon after every bowl I smoke through it. Bowl meaning crammed, not a hit or two. It can effectively filter the smoke for longer but a big container of it is dirt cheap, and it tastes smoothest fresh and clean every bowl.

And yes it will work in any GonG bong, it's about the size of the joint, not the brand :D

13. Nice review, I've been thinking about trying one. You can get carbon at pool or fish tank supply shops.

14. Thanks! I guess a good way to measure is 1 gram of carbon per gram of bud run through it.

15. That is about right. Except that activated carbon is 100 times cheaper than bud... :(

16. Are you positive it doesn't filter out any THC or cannaboids?

17. #17 Mr. Jane, Nov 1, 2008
    I could tell no difference in the high with or without the filter. It may filter some THC and cannaboids, but it is negligible.

Activated carbon mostly filters out "large" particles. "Large" like soot and smoke particles. You can actually see soot and smoke particles with the naked eye.

Activated carbon is not capable of filtering out most objects at the molecular level. It simply just can't.

In summary, activated carbon filters out smoke, soot, and other unwanted particles, but allows THC and cannaboids to pass through because they simply are too small.

18. "Particles" as you state are nothing more than macromolecules. The carbon works because of its chemical properties which allow it to effectively bond to many of the carcinogenic and organic waste molecules which pass by the surface of the activated carbon rocks themselves.

:smoking:

19. I've been interested in one of theese for a while, might have to check them out next time I'm up at a shop.

Nice review.

20. Great guide! I might have to invest in one of these due to the everlasting sore throats I'm getting.