Straight up, fuck tobacco

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by DankMedical, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Anyone who hasn't touched this cancerous, deadly substance stay the fuck away from it. Its way to fucking addicting to do for a month for the "buzz". I made the mistake along with millions of others, stay the fuck away from this shit unless you wanna lose your lungs or your jaw.

2. Legal tobacco and illegal marijuana are historical accidents costing billions

by Kohar Jones, MD | in Policy | 5 responses

Tweet
    inShare.11

“What do you think of medical marijuana?” my mother, who has never smoked a thing in her life, of the tobacco or cannabis variety, asked me one day as we drove through beautiful upstate New York woods. We had just passed a sign saying “We will destroy your crops,” with a marijuana leaf beneath. “It has its place,” I said. “No reason to be against it.” “But isn’t marijuana a terrible substance?” she asked. “No worse than tobacco or alcohol,” I told her my honest opinion.

When I started on the wards and saw how many people who smoked or drank were really sick from it–advanced cancer, emphysema, advanced liver disease–I was shocked these substances were legal. Take nicotine–the most addictive substance, harder to quit than heroin or cocaine. It’s just that tobacco has a historical monopoly on legal inhalation.

“So why is marijuana illegal?” she asked. “Historical accident,” I said. As a senior in college, I took a history class called “Drugs and Alcohol in American Culture.” I wrote my term paper on shifting medical perceptions of marijuana, from the thirties to the seventies. I was intrigued by the association between social perceptions and scientific conclusions.

There was one scientist in particular whose conclusions about the effects of marijuana radically shifted as cultural perceptions shifted from the 1930s to the 1970s. In the 1930s, he offered scientific evidence to reflect the social understanding of marijuana as a substance that provoked crazed violent reactions, when the drug was associated with Mexican immigrants and crime. In the 1970s, his research showed marijuana provoked a slackadaisical laziness with loss of motivation when it was used by the nation’s youth. No crime, no trouble.

“It was almost legalized,” I added, “until Nixon squashed that idea.” “Why are they legalizing it now?” she asked. “They probably need the tax money. If you turn it into a legitimate business, you get to collect legitimate taxes.”

Newsweek addressed the issue a week later in an interesting sidebar by R. M Schneiderman, entitled “legal weed gets a reality check in California.” Advocates of legalized marijuana say it will increase state tax revenue, and also undercut Mexican drug cartels. He argues that taxing locally grown marijuana will price it out of the street market, leaving the market wide open for Mexican-grown marijuana, and no real change in the dangerous Mexican criminal activity that marijuana use bolsters.

Suddenly, we’re back in the 1930s again, with marijuana associated with crazed Mexican criminal activity.

I don’t use marijuana. I don’t prescribe it. Nor do I smoke tobacco, or advise patients to smoke it. One is illegal. One is legal. In suburban Cook County, there are an estimated 391,273 tobacco smokers. In Illinois in 2008, smoking caused an estimated health cost of $4.1 billion. Legal tobacco and illegal marijuana are historical accidents that cost America billions of dollars.

Kohar Jones is a family physician who blogs at Progress Notes.

Submit a guest post and be heard on social media’s leading physician voice.

3. I hate tobacco, I just smoked a blunt (only because I wanted to try rolling one) and I don't know how anyone could like it. I cant get the taste out of my mouth, it burns my lungs like a motherfucker, and it makes me feel sick to my stomach.. shit I'm not gonna mix tobacco with my weed again

4. I Vouch This.

5. I love blunts. Even though there is tobacco in the leaf or whatever... blunts have the best high.

But this isn't about blunt wraps..

Cancer sticks suck. My whole childhood I preached that I wouldn't be taken by this addictive.. and then it happend. Admittingly, Marijuana was my gateway drug. On my T-Break I started, and haven't looked back.

Reading this thread made me light one. :\

6. Yeah, my dumb immaturity in middle school has gained me cravings for (seemingly) life. :(

Fuck the people who say marijuana is as addictive. I get over marijuana in a few days and don't crave it, even when I'm around other people smoking, but I jones like a fucking mad man around cigs. :mad:

7. I agree tabacco is nasty but smoking a cig when your rolling on some unmentionables is the best feeling ever.

8. i can smoke hookah
    i cant smoke cigs, too nasty

9. [quote name='"livelaughlearn"']i can smoke hookah
    i cant smoke cigs, too nasty[/quote]

Same here, but I still keep the hookah to a bare minimum.

10. for me i didn't like blunts until i picked up smoking cigarettes 4 years back.. fucking worst and most addicting mistake ive done.. and ive done a lot of hard drugs.:( at least i quit smoking L's and started smoking doobs..

11. a smoke here and there when im wasted. Maybe a cigar. Never have I smoked tobacco sober.

12. oh my god i know a newport after a bowl an hour in:eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

13. aww... look who can't handle a few cigarettes. :cry:

14. Pretty much, it's totally a trap....but I do rather enjoy my cancer. I also don't think it should be illegal, because I don't believe in controlling peoples' choices. I don't really see why it has to be a parallel for weed to be legal tobacco must be illegal. I'm actually in favor of legalizing most of the more harmless drugs; heroin, crank, and probably cocaine no way, but everything else, what the hell.

15. I'm not addicted. I smoked every day in september and haven't smoked in about a week because I don't have enough spare money to buy more cigarettes at the moment. I feel fine.

Be stronger than the substance.

16. After a class about caring for patients with cancer, I became scared enough to quit smoking cigs. There are literally no good treatments for that disease, in any of its forms, and I don't want to do something that increases my chances like smoking does.

Yeah, I'll probably always eat shitty food and never wear sunscreen, but I've taken care of enough people with breathing problems to realize how miserable that is.

I quit a month ago, with the exception of two that I bummed when I was drunk. Took a hit of a big black dude's newport last weekend...omfg it was horrible. I coughed like I'd just hit a blunt fulla the dankest shit ever.

Quitting was easy, though, cuz I typically only smoked 1-2 menthol lights on a normal day. I still sometimes crave it and I'm kinda worried about gaining weight from quitting, but whatever. People have been saying that I look a lot healthier, too.

17. I'm not sure why but I don't seem to get addicted to stouges. I have smoked around 10 Parliament Full Flavors a day for quite some time, and I was able to stop almost effortlessly. Admittedly I started up again not too long ago but I don't smoke nearly as much as I used to nor do I feel like I'm gunna die if I don't have one. It's not just me either, my sister is the same way except she stopped smoking completely. Maybe it just runs in my family.

18. Yeah I know the line im about to say probably sounds like bullshit but I can stop whenever i want to. Honestly it only calms me down, and i am a very stressful person. Would love to see if tobacco has anything to do with my stress level, cause then they got me sucked in

19. I give in to cravings like a bitch.

20. I havent had a dip or a cigarette in over 2 weeks. im feeling pretty good about myself. Now only if i can get my father to quit