My Facebook Account Was Memorialized...I Died?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by BryanDaniel, Jun 3, 2010.

1. #1 BryanDaniel, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2010
    DISCLAIMER: I absolutely did not write this to whine and complain about Facebook, but rather to tell a story and the way it affected me. Any "anger" I seem to express is merely a bit of frustration surrounded by a thick coat of sarcasm. I am not angry at the friend involved in the story, and in fact think what he did is hilarious. While I believe that only the best of the best posts are deserving of positive rep, I also think that negative rep should be reserved for the worst of the worst. If you really truly think that this is the scummiest, worst, most terrible thing on GC then I will try and understand that. Just let me know why you think so so I can try to fix it! :D
    Thank you:smoke:

So today I attempt to log in to my Facebook account, only to find out that I am in fact dead, and therefore not allowed to log in anymore. I soon find out that apparently, one of my friends thought it would be funny to report my Facebook profile as being that of a deceased person. Now you'd think that Facebook, being the huge and esteemed company that it is, would have an intelligent, dedicated, and resourceful team who is responsible for confirming the validity of these claims, and they wouldn't be pronouncing people dead all willy nilly. However, I couldn't be any more wrong.

As I soon found out, submitting a memorialization request on Facebook isn't all too difficult. All it requires is the email account used to register the deceased person's profile, their URL, and some other simple information. The only difficult part is finding proof that the person is in fact dead. But again, I stand corrected, as this must have not been too difficult because here I am, Facebookless and "dead."

I am 18 years old and live in SoCal in both real life and on Facebook. As my friend's proof that I was dead, he used the obituary of a man with the same last name as me but first name was spelled "Brian" when I spell mine "Bryan." So right off the bat, that's two different people. I don't care how close the names are because as far as anyone is concerned "Brian" and "Bryan" are not the same, period. If that wasn't enough, "Brian" is 36 and from Chicago, and even has his picture included. So I'm sure you all can see why I fail to understand how Facebook could have fucked up so bad.

So besides all the blatant evidence that screams I am in fact NOT dead, why the fuck would facebook not make any attempt whatsoever to contact me at the email account I used to register to confirm any validity to this cleverly crafter rumor? Yes it is only Facebook and it's definitely not the end of the world if they can't reverse this, but I feel like I have reasons to be as annoyed as I am. First of all, how stupid can you be Facebook? I'm not so mad at my friend as I am at Facebook for handling what should be considered delicate subject matter so inconsiderately and carelessly. Secondly, I may not have thousands and thousands of friends, but I'd rather not have to go through the trouble of adding the hundred or so closer friends I had it narrowed down to. I was amidst a few conversations and messages which is a bit frustrating just as it would be to be unable to finish a conversation in real life because SOME IDIOT (*ahem* Facebook) interrupted you. And also I can't access my Facebook pictures which sucks because they all came from a hard drive that recently crashed, and I never bothered dragging them from Facebook to my iPhoto library because I figured Facebook was a mobile photo library of sorts. My fault there? Sure. Should this have happened though? Absolutely not!

Anyways I think that shall be the end of my rant. I filed a deceased person's report on my already memorialized account since I know that someone will actually have to read it since there is no way that can be handled 100% automated. In the "additional information" box they fortunately provide in that form, I tried to explain that there has been a mistake and requested that they reverse the memorialization of my profile. I chose not to go off on them just yet, hoping that they will be able to do this for me. However I'll be pretty pissed if they can't help me because quite frankly the whole thing is retarded. I DO NOT want to make a new account because that is such a pain in the ass.

Now I must wait for a response from one of the monkeys over at Facebook that deleted my account in the first place....great :rolleyes:
    Wish me luck!

EDIT: Facebook got back to me today and told me they could help me out if I could verify my identity. I had to send them a picture of my driver's license which I thought was kind of lame but it looks like I'll be getting my account back soon (I hope!)
    Hooray for happy endings :smoke:

2. You got owned!

3. Sorry man but that's pretty funny :hello: I mean it sucks, and I totally get why you're pissed but if my friend did that I'd probably A) give up and not make a new facebook (I feel like a douche for having one anyway) and B) give credit where it's due :D

Hope you can get your account back though, what a pain

4. haha ur friend played an awesome prank...dont get so mad about it...

and what would their email to you say? "Hi, Bryan, were just emailing here to confirm that your dead?" haha i mean they probably dont have people faking deaths very often on facebook so they prob dont look into it that hard

5. R.I.P. BryanDaniel... :cry:

6. Thanks for prefacing the thread with that Mike, now I'm definitely not getting any sympathy hahaha.
    But seriously, no kidding.

7. Hahaha... that's awesome.

8. #8 BryanDaniel, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2010

Haha while Facebook may be douchey it definitely helps me connect with certain people that are hard to reach other ways you know? I'm prepared to make a new one if I have to but would like to see if I can fix this since I'd prefer not to have to make another one. Haha but thank you for understanding why I'm annoyed. No lie my friend is fucking funny and I've definitely been laughing this entire time.
    Thanks man, I'll definitely post the resolution whenever that may happen!

Oh for sure man he totally did. I still think what he did is really funny and the fact that it worked is even funnier. The only one I'm a bit angry with is Facebook. I mean come on, how dumb can you be? And while you're right about there (hopefully) not being too many faked deaths on Facebook, you'd think that they would treat a situation as delicate as death with extreme care and a lot of research. I just figured that their first step would be to come to me. No response? Fine I might be dead. And let's say I did die. Maybe my family has my email account information and might want to take care of it. The point I was trying to make is even if I had known my friend was going to do this and asked him not to, he could have still done it successfully because Facebook wouldn't have even attempted to reach out to me just to confirm. I guess in my head I don't see how you can NOT do that:confused:

D':
    Still alive on GC though :D

9. Sorry for the double post:

Yeah so for all of you out there looking to prank your friends who are Facebook users, all you need is a friend with a fairly common name, a link to the obituary of someone with that same name, a Facebook account, and an email account! Woohoo! :hello:

10. Quote - D':
    Still alive on GC though :D

Hmm I wwonder how you memorialize someone on GC.:eek:

JK:smoking:

11. Thanks for this amazing idea good sir. :)

12. Don't be sad man, you're in a better place now. :poke:

13. The only possible recourse is to get your friends facebook memorialized also, or murder...

14. All of the following comments made me laugh so thanks guys!:

Hahaha:smoke:

By all means go for it. I can't reiterate enough how funny this actually is as a prank. It's Facebook who I'm pissed at because of how apparent it should have been that I was not dead, and that they should have at least tried to contact me. So you'd better get on that before they change their memorializing process after I raise hell for them :devious:

Ahaha. Oh how I wish I was in a better place. But rather I am dry and facebookless. I can't even smoke this problem away D:

Great minds think alike :D
    Unfortunately I could not find his name in any obituaries so I'm leaning more towards murder.....................................................................that way when his name shows up in the obituaries I'll have his account memorialized muahaha!:smoking:

15. Thats all there is to say.

That is epic fucking ownage lol

16. Your friend played a pretty funny prank.

Other than that, fuck facebook, i deleted mine months ago and haven't looked back. I hate social network sites.

17. Yeah basically "end thread" status right there:p

That he did.
    I definitely feel you but I find Facebook to be really helpful. I'm definitely not addicted or anything and don't waste a shit ton of time on there, I just use it to reach out and stay connected to certain people with ease. You could definitely argue that as there's a million other ways to stay in touch with/get ahold of anyone, but this happens to be my method of choice as I find it extremely convenient. To each his own though :smoke:

18. The friend that did it, was Colt Cabana, wasn't it?

19. Ahaha. I definitely can see how you would think that Colt Cabana was behind this but I can assure you he was not the culprit.

20. it's a ghost!!! :bolt: