tonight, i watched the sky

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Digit, Aug 9, 2007.

1. i went out with my single skinner of nuthin but crusty old leaf that couldnt get a mouse high, it musta been wet too, cos it wouldnt stay lit for more than the puff to light it.

the day had been the most perfectly clear i've ever seen... well, i say day, i had only gotten up during the early part of the sunset.

so anyways, there i was, staring up at the stars, amazed at their clarity... able to see the glowing streak of all the more distant stars in our branch of the milky way, able to see an occasional satelite, oh, there went another i thought, then it bobbed, and here's where i look at myself telling this story and think, oh no, i've become one of those nutters... it bobbed again, two changes of direction!? i followed it for a while, quite bright as it was, i could follow it across about half of the visible sky, heading from up high in the south east, heading north, but on its way, i saw even more amazing things.... a bright flash just near it. and it made another bob and weave maneuver, i saw a strange slow moving shooting star... shortly followed by another at a different angle, both about the same distance away from the light i was following, along it's path. i kept watching it as it went from due east (mark 72ish- so my neck was pretty sore during this) to northerly, where it started getting too hard to follow as it went near the slowly encroaching clouds, where i swear i saw it jig about more.
    able to take this in with a calm demeanor, i confidently turned my back on it as it was getting harder and harder to follow, to then look back to the area of sky where i had first seen it, looking for more "satellites" (yes, i think i'll be using quotation marks for every time i refer to a "satellite" from now on), but then, the show wasnt over! just around a little more southerly, and perhaps slightly lower in the sky, what started as a shooting star, if only for an instant, then tore up in a bright wide streak, then faded off like a shooting star again for a little bit at its end of being visible to me. it looked like what i assumed it would look like if either some piece of natural (or constructed) debris fell into our atmosphere and exploded, or like some imaginary design of space craft firing its retros to slow its decent into the atmosphere.

k, i know it's usually cloudy here, and we just dont get to see the sky and it's contents so clearly as this, but clearly some kind of advanced craft, an explosion, two unidentified suspicious "meteor-like" (falling into atmosphere) objects, and another more spectacular entry... this report leaving out the half dozen more familiar looking "shooting stars", planets, satellites (no quotations marks) and regular stuff... but i gotta ask you peeps who live in places where you can watch the skies most of the time.... is it normal for there to be this much traffic up there? are the skies always this alive?

most people would never think to stare up at the sky for 10 minutes, half an hour, or a whole evening, so i doubt they'd ever see any of this. heck, i only saw it because i was specifically on the look out for something that was moving, a "satellite" i thought the only thing i was likely to see.

yeah... i know.... i'm one of those nutters now. consider this my "UFO" sighting report. dang. there goes my credibility. start the ridicule now. :rolleyes:

2. Well the U.S. space shuttle endeavor was manuevering into port at the internation space station, so perhaps you were seeing that? And maybe you saw the boosters falling back to earth and all kinds of cool shit.

3. every now and again, ill bring some blankets and pillows out and sleep on my trampoline.

i can easily count over 10 satellites fly overhead on the average night, and thats in only an hour or so of looking up and actually paying attention. and we've got the lights of vancouver city polluting the sky so, out in the country, im sure the sky is totally alive all the time.

4. could be. could have been. ... for all i know. though i dont put much credibility on that explanation from the way it moved. and so on.

5. The meteor storms of august are here, the spaceships have come to watch the stock market crash, they heard it'll be spectacular, so yeah, lots to look at up there.
    Where I live clouds are a seasonal affair, and this is not their season. I love the sky at night, and the meteor showers are wild this time of year. It's serious dark out here too, owls and white oaks, and critters of the night, it's the best feeling ever letting your thoughts go skyward.
    Nothing is as clear as night.

6. im glad you had such a cool experience... nature is truly beautiful when you stop to really appreciate it...

happy tokin!!!

7. stock market crash..... hehe, that'd be fun. if only it were TRULY possible. alas, its all a big show. an ilusion. a manufactured game of bullshit, with all the cheats running the show. factory coupons for the "elite"*.

*not the real elites... cos that's us lot. ;) :D

8. tonight theirs supposed to be meteors so maybe ...

9. yeah we had meteor showers last nite sat outside for a bit then it started raining so u cudnt see shit. and its been sunny all week why did it have to rain that night fucking karma

10. i went out and saw some meteors tonight, there weren't a lot of them, but it was great. i love staring out at the sky and thinking

11. i aint seen shit all in the skies since this.

f,gnows wot it woz. :shades::snoop:

12. Sounds pretty sweet to me, I wish I was there to see it.