Do we still have a Bill of Rights?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tripace, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Amendment I

Freedoms, Petitions, Assembly
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Another Occupy Oakland March Attacked by Police.. Category: Comments from The Berkeley Daily Planet

Marijuana questions dominate White House online chat -- again - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

» Catholic Bishops Stand Up to the Obama Administration - Big Government

Amendment II

Right to bear arms
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

ATF Memo Says Medical Marijuana Users Not Allowed to Buy Firearms
    Amendment III

Quartering of soldiers
    No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Well I can't find any violations of this one, so it looks like our 3rd Ammendment is still intact...:rolleyes:
    Amendment IV

Search and arrest
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Alleged Illegal Searches By NYPD Rarely Challenged in Marijuana Cases - WNYC

TSA violates Constitution while detaining Sen. Rand Paul

Touchy TSA: Airport security showing its absurdity - The Independent Florida Alligator: Editorials

Amendment V

Rights in criminal cases
    No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb, nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

US Federal Judge Orders Woman to Surrender Password - Social Barrel
    Amendment VI

Right to a fair trial
    In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed; which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defence.

Al-Awlaki Killing In Yemen Raises Constitutional Questions

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-10-02/news/30252234_1_president-obama-citizen-protection

Indefinite detention and torture: US already enforcing NDAA

Amendment VII

Rights in civil cases
    In Suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury shall be otherwise re-examined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.
    Amendment VIII

Bail, fines, punishment
    Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Pretty much all three of the above have some sort of violation within the NDAA.

Amendment IX
    Rights retained by the People
    The enumeration in the Constitution of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
    Amendment X

States' rights
    The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Judge: Federal Law Trumps State's Medical Pot Law - News Story - NBCMontana NBC Montana

ObamaCare Makes Medicaid An Offer States Can't Refuse - Forbes

Visitor to 9/11 memorial told police of loaded gun, was arrested - latimes.com

2. TO have rights, we would need our constitution...DC and their masters flushed that after wiping their collective asses with it.

3. All of the above "exceptions" to our bill of rights give me the chills. But the one with the password is just outrageous that is so clearly covered under the 5th amendment its amazing. I would never turn over my password on principle I would sit as a political prisoner in jail.

4. Bill of what?

What's that word on the end there I'm not familiar with it?

5. 2nd amendmant still strong

6. Except in NYC. That place is a muggers paradise, nobody with concealed carry permits= easy pickens!

Sheeples there have to rely way too much on the police state to protect them...

7. Technically you do, but it's moot as far as it mattering in law.

8. What about 16th amendment, not part of the bill of rights but still, fuck it.

9. :confused:

Are you trying to say that since they're ignoring our other amendments, we should ignore the 16th? If it were that simple I'd be all for it. Too bad my bosses at work won't agree to stop taking out my taxes for me:(

Would be great if we could start a movement though, boycott tax payments until they've started to follow the rest of the Constitution!:hello:

10. #10 buller, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2012
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;
    oh really..what if its my religion to run around shoting everyone in the face? this paper was made by man people,old white man people, and while

in theory, much of it sounds alright, everyday new methods of corruption are honed and wielded against it/in its name

11. I just want to take out parts of the constitution that are unconstitutional. And that's the 16th amendment. Don't get me started on the countless number of laws that are unconstitutional. If the government doesn't end the espionage act, then I guess I'll have to end it for them:

[​IMG]

12. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4t6zNZ-b0A]Snakes on a Plane - The TV Edit - The famous line - YouTube[/ame]

13. The problem is that the government is a single individual contained body. Sure, it has checks and balances to make sure one branch is not pissing on the foundations of another, but it is not designed to watch out for the people...with exception to interstate and international trade, national defense and international diplomacy, it is not supposed to. Oh, add in to that list making laws that govern general peace and prosperity.

It is a perfect system as long as it is not used for political gain. And, unfortunately, that is precisely what has happened. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;" No matter what your religion is right now, Christian, Catholic, Mormon, Islam or atheism, there are fewer places you can openly worship in accordance with your beliefs. Why? Because 100 out of 500,000 atheists gets offended when they see a cross. Or, 100 out of 500,000 Muslims are offended when an atheist says there is no God.

What is the "answer?" To have government make a new law that re-interprets "what the founders meant" even though it is pretty fucking plain exactly what they meant.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." How in the fuck is this not clear and completely plain? How many years, how much money and how many lawyers have gotten so fucking rich to try and recreate what that means? It is 4th grade English for crying out loud!!! Really? Seriously...

The problem is the current government sees the Bill of Rights as a document which specifically limits what rights We the People have been "GIVEN" and therefore, limits need to be defined in their own words.

The REAL problem is that the Bill of Rights are a list of regions the government is not allowed to even touch, let alone look at or breathe on. The Constitution is the guidebook of what the government is allowed to do...specifically stating that anything that is NOT listed is off limits.

I bet our Founding Fathers are rolling over in their graves with massive WTF looks on their faces to see how 180 degrees backwards things function right now.

And, as a little note to those of you who love freedom, love America and the way of life we are supposed to have yet get balloon knot butthurt at the mere mention of God, look in the mirror with the finger pointing. It is very plain if you are able to take a small step back.

The freedoms and rights guaranteed byt he Bill of Rights are based on the idea the out rights come from God. Whatever God you want it to be, but a higher power outside the realm of man. Why is that so important? Because if you get your rights from a higher power, no man (or woman) has the ability (let alone the authority) to take them away.

The further we have moved over time from that perspective, the more government has infringed on our rights. But hey, keep giving those in government more power with small venues such as abortion, drugs, unions, etc...every time one of these matters goes to the Supreme Court, it becomes law. That means, you (if you are one that went to the Supreme Court) just took the state's right to decide for itself when it becomes a federal matter. And, don't even get started on Congress...what a damn abortion.

Congress is the only body in America that can have a sub-10% approval rating and still have people rallying behind them. How fucking blind are people?

How do we fix all this? Quit focusing on the stupid insignificant bullshit and come together to change this government out! Instead of getting so ass-hurt when someone offends you and end up running to a lawyer, man the hell up!

The whole racial nonsense...wow...talk about the magic bullet of division. Are there racists? Yup. Are they assholes? Yup. Are most of them inconsequential nebishes that have very little impact on your daily life? Yep. Is it as bad as it was 60 years ago? Well it sure as hell is now! 15 years ago we were on a good positive track of progress in bettering ourselves as a whole. Then what happened? Politicians wanted to get elected and those politicians had friends with big control in media. So, the problem was recreated as if it were the civil-rights all over again.

How are we doing now? Are we any better off now that we have all these controls and laws in place that make the few feel better about themselves?
    Has anyone's quality of life improved with the massive debt our government has incurred in the name of ridding us of poverty and squashing racism?

Considering that we have record breaking debt, massive unemployment, massive foreclosures STILL GOING ON...yeah, man we are so much better off than we were 15-20 years ago. But hey! At least we are getting rid of that religion! Boy, I guess things will get better soon...oh, by the way, I have a bridge I would like to sell too.

I am not sure in who's mind we are moving closer to this imaginary and immeasurable "fairness" Obama and his worshipers are chasing after. If this is what fair is like, I want it to go back to the unfairness of the late 80's and early 90's. Life was pretty damn nice then. Most of us had jobs, few were being kicked out of houses...yep...I guess we are better off now...

And for fuck's sake! Can someone define "fair" from the perspective of those who keep claiming that is the goal? Until someone gives me a measure of what "fair" is, shut the fuck up about it. Life isn't fair. You do what you can to make YOUR own success. If that is too much for you, end it now. Life is not hard...unless you make it had for yourself.

Sorry all, this was a massive rant that has been building up. You can tear it apart if you want, I really don't care. These are my opinions, nothing more. I just can't take much more of this bullshit...getting to my wits end...fuck, I just need to smoke.

14. No I used it to wipe my ass yesterday

15. Good post! so, I came up with this theory, but first, where exactly do you think the government got the room to start taking our rights away from us?

I can't say for sure, but IMO, it could have been when people started abusing the 1st amendment, twisting the "freedom of religion" to their bullshit interpretation of "separation of church and state". So, once you say that you're taking "god" or, a higher power as it were, out of the equation, that means, the government gave us our rights, and therefore, they have the ability to take it away, because a separation of church and state nullifies the Declaration of Independence saying that all men have the same god-given rights.

It makes sense to me, and I'm not even a religious person, but I do know our founding fathers were, and intended the country to remain religious, as you said, because if god gave us these rights, no tyrannical dictator can take them away. And that, I can agree with!

16. I know right why do they only follow the parts of the Constitution that fuck us in the ass?

17. Exactly. It does not matter whether you follow a certain belief or not. It is just the way it has to be. Otherwise, the whole system doesn't work. Which is why the Founders were so emphatic about God being the source of our rights.

What shocks me is all the people who are so in a twist about whether they hear the name God and suddenly it is worth the trade of freedom to remove God from everything. I mean, really? Other than isolated incidents that occur across every spectrum of belief (atheism included) who has been hurt by having God as our source of rights?

On the other hand...how much has our country been hurt by the overly expansive and ever-encroaching power of government. But, I guess they are better off now than before right?

18. Because that is the only part of the Constitution that favors government and not the people.

Hell, 2nd Amendment...take that away and you have no concern of any form of uprising from the people. Kind of makes you wonder what they have planned that such protection for government is needed. I sure as shit know it isn't from crackheads with 9mm's or the small pocket groups of radicals. They are small and inconsequential. Yet, look at the types of groups that are on government watch lists. Groups from every demographic are on that thing and how much would it take to make a person look like they are part of an extreme group...and take away their right's in the name of national security?

Oh...wait...they are already doing that. Fuck..it was a good conspiracy theory. Too bad it turned out to be true.

19. You say that and I read this:
    AP Exclusive: US No-Fly List Doubles In 1 Year | Fox News

20. #20 lilro, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2012
    The reason our rights are being shit on is because not enough people are exercising them, so they can easily take them away. And nobody will fight them. Create an education system where it's weird to have your own opinions, and poof, there goes the first. Highlight a few gun nuts on the mainstream news from time to time, and poof, there goes the second. And so on. People are scared to exercise their rights because there are other brainwashed people who will throw them in a cage for corporate interest. Don't want the rights taken away? Exercise them. Every day. And get the people around you to feel stupid if they don't exercise theirs. That's the only way we can fight back without a massive blood bath. Say what's on your mind. Keep a firearm at all times, even if you don't want to use it. Never answer questions you don't feel comfortable answering.