A Closer Look at LST (Picture Guide)

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by KB Grower, Oct 14, 2011.

1. #1 KB Grower, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
    High Everyone :wave:. Here is a little something ive been working on for the blades of grasscity :D:wave:

Seed to flower, you will see a plant's response to LST as I manipulate its branches. The pictures will show you first hand the cause and effects of LST.

A Brief Review:The main idea behind LST is to keep the top growth and side nodes low to the ground. These simple procedures have a profound effect on the plant.

The magical plant hormones at work here are the Auxin.
    "Auxin participates in phototropism, geotropism, hydrotropism and other developmental changes. The uneven distribution of auxin, due to environmental cues such as unidirectional light or gravity force, results in uneven plant tissue growth. And generally auxin governs the form and shape of plant body, direction and strength of growth of all organs and their mutual interaction." (Efflux-Dependent Auxin Gradients as a Common Module for Plant Organ Formation).

In theory, the movement of auxin to the nodes trick the lower branchs or side branches into thinking they are a top cola. Some growers report increased yields of 200%. However, the relationship between LST and increased yields is still debated.

What is certain though, is that LST can create a perfect and even canopy. Therefore, the canopy and buds can receive equal amounts of light, resulting in maturation of buds at the same pace. The equal amount of light a LST'd plant gets is far superior than the "christmas tree" plant (New innovations of vertical lighting challenge this) But The problem of two part harvests or immature popcorn buds are resolved with LST done right.

There are many methods or ways of doing LST (i.e. egg crate method, pipe cleaner, string method, etc...) The LST method shown in the pictures can be found in the LST sticky at the top of the forum (Dierwolf's). This paticular method bends the plant's main stem around the container, until the plant does a full rotation, or fills up the entire pot. (I used paperclips, they work perfectly) Once you have a healthy set of top nodes you can begin flowering (You can really start flowering whenever.) In flowering you must still maintain the now very large bush of weed. (Keeping adequate airflow)

I believe the pictures are pretty self explanatory, look for the bends and notice how the top growth tries to straighten back up. Further along notice the amazing amount of side growth.

If you are, looking to see the results and growth changes of LST, come on in and see first hand the cycle week by week.:wave:

Here we gooo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    First bend.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

\t
    This is when i added a screen and started flower. Once you are done with veg, its up to you what you want to do from there. I had a 3 gal so it was pretty cramped. Decided a screen would be my best bet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And there you go! Hope you guys enjoyed this and maybe helped you better understand LST in a visual interpretation.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Alright i edited this so it seems a lil more informative haha

3. Hi, thats beautiful. What is LST?..& I like growing outdoors, what is your favourite strain?,,like where do u buy ur seeds & what strain

4. Great explanation and pics:)
    SCROG = Basically making several colas grow towards the light instead of one, and to make it more of a bush for smaller areas

^am i wrong?
    very good guide :D

5. whats lst stand for?

6. Low stress training

7. so you just bend & keep the stem low or tied down?

8. Yeah until it grows around until it goes around the pot using all the space that can be used, or atleast i think thats the concept.

9. Oh..I thought you had to top the plant!!...Thanks;)

10. [​IMG]
    This is the jist of it

11. So when u do it can u top the plant & what does the gate do?

12. so not only do you tie down the main stem, but the other little ones as well? Because this whole time i was under the impression that you just tie down the main stem. I guess I should have thought about it a little more.

also, do you keep the plant tied down until the grow is finished?

13. Yeah man, you lst all the nodes. You lst all the nodes.... id explain more but im too high right now so yea you pretty much just lst most of the nodes to direct them and really fill out the pot.

And yeah you have to tie it down for the hole grow, cause all tho it does hold its shape. It doesnt hold it perfectly and the buds will lean towards the center and the buds would all be touching... iill get a pic for ya

14. Holy smoke that looks awesome I have just built a Pc grow box out of an old dell server case I hope I get some bud like that from it, I have a fem cheese seed germinating at the moment that is going in there lol

15. Yep good luck man, its pretty simple but really fun too. Its really hands on with the plant so you can interact with it more, instead of just staring at it lol which is fun also hahaha

16. Lol this is my first ever grow so can't wait to see how it goes, just hope the box is up to it.

17. If topped early, could the new growth tips be LST'd in opposite directions so as to fill the diameter of the pot quicker?

18. Would it not take just as long as the plant is then having to grow in both directions? Just a thought, interesting question though and if it can be done would the same be feasible with a scrog grow?

19. Well with topping you really shouldn't top until the 4th node set, the plant can be pretty tall or short by then. But it is easier to control the plant, and get a better bush by bending/ lst'n it as soon as you can. The stem will also be thicker and more sturdy by then, creating a higher risk of snapping the stem. so you should keep those thing in mind