New car engine gets 100mpg easily.

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Matticus, Apr 9, 2011.

1. New engine shakes up auto industry - Technology & science - Innovation - msnbc.com

This car engine (generator) is 5 times more efficient than regular piston engines and 3.5 times more efficient than hybrids.

The engine in the video is not a working prototype, as it's from 2009, but as of now they have a small scale prototype. A full sized prototype should be finished by the end of the year.

The government gave them 2.5 million in funding do do what they've done so this isn't going to be something that is swept under the rug. Obama's administration would absolutely love something like this to happen before the next election, since reducing dependency on foreign oil has been a topic of discussion politically for over 20-30 years.

Here's the video if you're too lazy to click on the article:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf_-IMgla34&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Norbert Mueller describes his wave disk generator[/ame]

2. Excellent, im looking forward to seeing all the innovation that will happen in the future. This is good news

3. How much will it cost when it hits the market?

4. It will cut the weight of an average car by 20%. It will be significantly cheaper to produce these as they do not require fluids, transmission, radiator, etc.

I am also assuming this will save a TON of space and will create limitless possibilities for new car designs.

5. dude im sorry but WTF is your avatar...

6. Lol? This will never be implemented. Trust me.

Why? Doesn't take a genius to figure out that the wealthy and powerful will do anything and everything they can to stop it from being implemented. Why? It conflicts with their interests. It has happened many times before, just research the subject for yourself.

7. Don't be sorry. Their really is something about his avatar that drives a nail into my nuts for some reason.

8. uh 25KW output is like 30HP. GL getting past 50 mph with this thing. They would be nice for hybrids like the prius because they can run constantly and be highly efficient. Not likely to be good stand-alone power though.

9. That's not the maximum limitations of the technology, it's just the university's goal to create one by the end of the year. After a 25KW model is made, there should be improvements in the future to increase power.

10. The US Dept of Energy is the one funding this research. It won't just disappear.

11. Maybe because its a giant COCK

12. gas and oil companies wont let it happen

13. A wise man I talked to about the energy crisis a while ago said the Nazi's had vehicles that could run on water in WW2. And also that people had modified carburetors that would do close to 70 MPG in the 70's.

14. That is purely speculation however.

They have a small scale working prototype. That's closer than any speculation from the past. This will allow a friggin SUV to get better gas mileage than a 2011 Prius.

Is there a small scale working prototype of a car that runs on water?

15. Might be more efficient, but it probably doesn't have decent HP.

16. I will admit, the first full size prototype will only be 25KW, which is like 30 horsepower.

But think about the first piston engines for cars -- they had a very low horsepower as well.

In time the technology for this type of engine will probably get better and eventually be good enough.

17. How is your avatar allowed?

This is disgusting... wowww

18. I am sleeping with one of the mods.

19. hahaha, it's 3 pigs. Someone hasn't seen this pic before I guess.

20. Hawt! Anyone else get a boner from his avatar?