Do you get impatient when dealing with disturbingly stupid people?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by RawStoner, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Or for that matter, when someone asks a stupid question? Or when someone does something that is so lacking in common sense, that it's literally mind-boggling that someone could be so lacking in intelligence, (while still having an I.Q. above the "mental retardation" level?)

I'm a pretty calm person and I always seek to help people understand something if they can't. I'd like to think I'm a nice guy overall and am always willing to explain in detail how something operates, to those willing to listen. I enjoy passing on knowledge to others, so that they may use it to better themselves, those around them, and the planet. I always try to be compassionate and understanding, because we all come from different backgrounds, different education, and we're all just trying to improve. Nobody is perfect, but everyone is working through the issues in their life to become a bit better, day by day.

But sometimes, people will be so clueless, that I get this "uncontrollable" irritability that someone could be THAT stupid. It's genuinely disconcerting to me that someone who is legally not a retard, can say/ask/do things which make me question their brain function.

Here's a minor example: I'm on spring break now and so I'm visiting my folks. I don't remember the last time I've eaten breakfast (I fast in the morning and my first meal of the day is a late lunch.) It's been like this for a long time. And yet my mom still insists on asking me "what do you want for breakfast?" everyday. It's like she's being willfully stupid, even though by this point she should know that I don't eat breakfast. I don't understand how a logical and rational person can ask this particular question of me, it literally makes no sense.

On the off chance, that I DO want breakfast, surely I would come to her and ask her to whip something up, but as it stands, whatever demon possessed her brain to ask this question must have made that particular region of her brain retarded. My response to her is often times condescending and rhetorical, because of how much value I put on rationality. Her question is irrational and literally has no basis in reality. She makes NO SENSE TO ME.

2. I too get impatient when dealing with seemingly thoughtless people.
    On a side note, your mother is probably just used to her making her guests breakfast. Most mothers are a lot like that, I think she's doing it because she cares a lot about you.

3. I do get irked sometimes when people are egregiously lacking sense. What this really means is that I have an opportunity to become more patient with others and myself.

As for your mother, that is a harsh and rather condescending thing to be considering about her. Just because she doesn't make sense to you does not mean she is illogical. Perhaps she seems to make no sense to you because she sees your actions as illogical and they make no sense to her, and this is her way of trying to get you to reconsider your "illogical" actions.

Or, it could just be out of habit. She has lived a long time and this kind of ritual has become part of what she's used to. While your morning fast may seem so obvious to you, your mother may not think about it the same way you do.

Don't be so quick to judge the motives for others' actions. The actions may not make sense to us but this does not mean the motives for their actions are illogical.

4. The fact that your mother asks you at all just shows she cares about you, is doing what proper mothers are supposed to do. I do the same thing with my daughter who often forgets to eat in the morning. Even if she says she doesn't want something I will sometimes tempt her into eating something by suggesting things she might want. It's a sort of game I play with her now and again, but there's a certain seriousness behind it.

It's easy to take those who are closest to us for granted and expect them to do things, know us, as if we are the centre of the world. Perhaps your mum lives more in the moment than you know and in the moment of breaking fast, she just wants to know what you want without having to remember what went on in the past.

5. If she's like my mom in her mind she has to say it or she'll feel guilty.
    I agree, for me it's when people put no personal thought and are gullible. Than you have a bunch of parrots yawking completely irrelevant things on what are "higher" topics thinking they're smart. I for one realise I am just a monkey so I play with my weed and bikes and stick to what I know.

6. What is really stupid though? Incompetent people are unaware of their own incompetence and ignorance but there's a difference between not knowing and knowing but not choosing the ability to fix it.

7. Yea this long thread is kinda annoying too

8. Long? Best stop reading any further I think.

9. [quote name='"esseff"']

Long? Best stop reading any further I think.[/quote]

You think ?

10. Well, if it's already long now, it's only gonna get longer as we add more things. Wouldn't want you to feel even more annoyed.

11. I have a question: Do you think Deedee is really stupid or is it that Dexter exaggerates his disdain frustration for her ditsy and non-serious nature? She's a ESFP.

12. Of all the things to be irritated by and he chooses to make thread because the woman who gave him life, cares about him and his well being.

That's so fucking annoying.

13. Loud people are disturbing my quiet nature.

14. Is your mom by any chance an "ignorant and spiritually unenlightened" person?

If you're having problems with her go to a family relationship forum or a family therapist.
    Or better yet, have a one on one chat with her.

The philosophy section of a weed forum is hardly the place to vent your anger about your personal life.

15. [quote name='"esseff"']

Well, if it's already long now, it's only gonna get longer as we add more things. Wouldn't want you to feel even more annoyed.[/quote]

No not really

16. I understand his angst because it has happened to me with my mother as well, but that is also what mothers do. (Good mothers at least.)

His larger point is that sometimes "stupid" people are so dumb that even they themselves don't realize how their stupidity impacts other people. But again, what is the difference between stupidity and intelligence?

17. One man's stupid is another man's intelligent.

18. Easy to say, but where is that line in the sand? How do you determine smart from stupid?

19. Well today standing outside the smoke shop I asked my friend to grab honey berry and black sweets. He said grape? Nope no grape don't like it. Than he went in cme out two minutes later with two packs of grape and out of rattled confusion I was like what the fucc there had to been one or the other? He said no, so I ran in and asked. Being 18 the lady grabbed them and I just said never mind and left. He was also getting 10$ for Doing this.

I'd say given it was a little job he couldn't do since he didn't think and somehow couldn't process that in back thought? ( like honestly hahaha) I catch his thoughtlessness a lot makes me think that is stupid.

Lazy maybe a better word so if you want to go there than I'd say it would have to be related to how fast and well you can process things around your related nature. As if your basically a monkey or handicap.

20. All in the eyes of the beholder.