Growing on a mountain advice (pics)

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by jayyyb, Apr 9, 2013.

1. #1 jayyyb, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2013
    Hello everyone.

I am preparing for my first grow (on a mountainside). As I'm an absolute beginner to this, I'm looking for some advice.

First up, below are pictures of the surrounding earth I'll be planting into:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, in terms of location, so far I have identified two areas on the mountain.

The pictures taken below were taken at around 12pm so you can get an idea of where the sun will be.

Option 1: (NW facing side of mountain)

As you can see from the crude picture, the sun comes up over the back of the mountain, and then dips over the other side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Option 2: (SE facing side of mountain)

Again, you can see the direction the sun travels, there is also less tree cover here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think?

How would you prepare the area that I intend to plant into? It may look relatively dry at the moment, but it gets very humid round here during the summer - hopefully the altitude will do me some favors with regard to this.

I will be doing further recon to see whether I can find a better area, however this appears to be the most private option available (even though it is a very remote location, better to be safe than sorry).

I'm slightly worried about the shade caused by the surrounding trees.

Be gentle with me, I'm pretty new at this!

Apologies for the size of the pictures.

Thanks for reading!

2. no mountain growers on here eh?

Ok... well if no-one has an opinion on location, how about prepping the seeds?

Should I start in pots at home? or start on the mountain... I'm worried about how they will react when I take them outside (change of environment and all)

3. Looks like a decent spot. I have no now an experience but my family owns property in the mountains and I've always wanted to try it seems like that's but looks legit. This plant will grow anywhere i think! Id germinate them at home in paper towels first then bring em outside

4. Gonna put in a ticket to move this to outdoors.

You're spot looks choice to me, not sure about soil.....but in right section you'll get more answers I'll bet.

5. i would add some soil to the ground it doesn't look like that great of soil too me.

your bottom picture looks like a decent flat area to get down to business. if you are planning on planting right into the ground dont at first germinate your seeds and put them in solo cups for no less then a 2 weeks i wait for 4 nods before transplanting to the ground. stir up the dirt a little see if theirs a large amount of bugs in the soil some bugs my eat your roots and you my have no idea.
    as for light you dont need much for them to grow, but more is always better.

6. Looks like great soil to me! Plenty of natural mulch, those bushes are already starting to bloom, a good sign. To you own this land, land like that around here sells for $400 down an $200 a month, owner financing an plenty of it around! If you own the land cut a few trees down, dig holes an add admenments if you want. Place protection against critters an you should be good to go. If you don't own the land or public land just put the plants seedlings (?) in the ground with some water crystals, deeper the better, get those roots working down, the crystals goes to the bottom of the hole an a heavy watering of the hole then place your seedling in an add more water an some nutes if you want but not necessary IMHO, ground looks good! Pretty much what I would look for if I was to do something like what you are thinking, of course no one really does this!

7. Oh wow guys... sorry!

I didn't notice that this had been moved - I posted it in beginners because that's exactly what I am, but I guess it's more at home here in the outdoors section..

Thanks for the replies thus far.

You'll see that I posted earlier today about my soil concerns - I think I'll be sinking a pot or bag into the earth with my own mix.

Back to location, if its okay, I have one final spot that I've found on the mountain - and I'd really appreciate your advice on it as it's quite different to the others.. It's a bit more exposed and I have a few options where to plant.

I'll post pictures tomorrow (and hopefully they won't stretch the page as much).

Thanks once again :)

8. how many plants are you doing??

9. Fari Warrior: 5 plants.

Okay, here is my 3rd (and final) spot. Although it is open and exposed, it is hard to get to, and in quite a secluded area up on the mountain.

Panorama

[​IMG]

South area

[​IMG]

N/E area

[​IMG]

Example of soil

[​IMG]

Okay, so dependent on which side of the spot I plant, the plants will get the sunrise or sunset (once the sun comes up and dips back over the surrounding mountains).

They will be shielded somewhat by the surrounding foliage.

My main concern is that the plants will be over-exposed to the sun - it will get very hot from mid May to end of August (average 27C/81F and absolute highs of 38C/100F) and then in early July rainy season will hit until mid August.. Cooling down in September.

If I want a bit more seclusion and shade, nearby this area there are some more shielded areas with low thin foliage (I'm not sure if they will bloom with leaves though):

Nearby spots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and that's it!

Thanks for reading and your replies thus far.

Any feedback and opinion on the spots is very much appreciated.

I can't wait to get started!

10. by the way, all those pictures were taken at 12 midday.

11. watch out for deer/rabbits etc, looks like it could hold a lot of wildlife.

12. duly noted - I have seen what I think are rabbit droppings

13. Irish spring soap shavings to keep the animals away! Or some small chicken wire like fences

14. you wanna grow in a opening in the woods like a pit not just in a open area of the woods thats how they get stumbled apon

15. Don't forget about the eyes in the sky! :/

16. thatz a lot of room for 5 plants.....you should be able to hide them easily

17. Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely try to conceal them as best as I can.

If I were to plant in that opening, would it be best for the plants to get morning/midday sun, or midday/evening sun? (facing S or NW?) - just thinking about planting position.

18. Morning sun is the most important as it contains certain vitamins n benefits only available from the spectrum @ that time

19. Definitely the last spot even though it might get hot the sunlight will make up for it. If the spots aren't to far away from each other I would suggest growing at least one plant in the second or first spot with more trees. just incase your plants get stolen or the weather gets to them. And I would say morning/midday sun is best because its brightest and plants need sun early in the morning. Good luck!