Protecting in ground seedlings from freezing

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Cannabliss88, Apr 21, 2011.

1. #1 Cannabliss88, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2011
    I have two healthy 1 week old seedlings established in the woods. Bringing them inside is not an option. They are in a small clearing in the woods (a 5 minute hike from home) planted directly in the ground for 6 days now.

They have survived 40 mph wind gusts, 2 inches of rain and temperatures in the upper 30's on one night.

But, the forecast for tonight is 32 degrees and they keep lowering their prediction.:eek::(:eek:

What can I do to keep my little ones safe. I don't have many seeds left so this is important. Thank you for your help:D

2. How big? Cut the bottom off a 2 liter bottle and you got yourself a greennhouse. Feed them a little silica to help strengthen their cell walls. Greenhouse is the easier likely more available option as everyone doesn't have a silica supplement and I wouldn't expect immediate results as silica is best applied over time.

3. i put some out too early this year too and it actually snowed on them.. like they were actually under snow for like 2 days... somehow they survived lol.. stunted... like 6 inches... but it's flowering lol..

4. Sadly I'm down to 1 seedling outside now because I really rushed the other one but thats ok cause the other one is thriving in its spot.

That is very comforting to hear but I'm still freaking out a bit. The forecasted low is now down to 31 degrees.:eek:

Earlier today I watered thoroughly because I read that well watered seedlings are better protected from freezing.

Its only and inch tall. The first real pair of leaves looked healthy and the next pair is starting to show. Its a week old,

Do you blades think this little one will survive 31 degrees because theres nothing I can do now but keep my fingers crossed.

Thank you to everyone helping me out with this:wave:

5. What are the chances of it freezing or being severely damaged or stunted? Anyone cause I don't want this to keep me from sleeping lol

But seriously its a very healthy seedling thriving and growing. How safe do you guys think it is because if I absolutely have to I will walk out there with a flashlight but its pitch black and cold out there.

Do I need to make such a treacherous journey or can I sleep soundly?

6. If I put a small plastic dome on it now would it make a difference if it goes below freezing or would it not make much difference.

Anyone:confused_2:

7. I guess what I'm asking is if this "greenhouse" would work in the nighttime or would the subfreezing temp still penetrate it since theres no sun

8. Well I aint hiking out there at 1 am so i'll let you guys know how it goes. Forcast is now 32 degree low but no frost or freezing advisory. I did some research of my own and I know its gonna be fine.

I'll let you guys know how things turn out though

9. Dude for real? The last 5 replies have been by you, if someone has something to say they'll see the thread no need to keep on bumping.

10. Good idea. Just put some black, green, or brown sweatshirts over them to keep em warm :)

11. Yep for real.
    Good idea for the future. Not sure why I said two seedlings. Guess I forgot that I lost 1.

But I have some great news. I just made it out there this morning with my camera and the seedling is alive and healthy as ever.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now I think my biggest challenge is keeping animals away. I already put deer repellant around the perimeter and peed around it but I think its time for another round after all this rain we got.

I am open to any and all suggestions and advice from people with more experience than me.:wave:

12. are you in PA :D this is exactly how its been here

13. Mist her with some plain h2o and start more seeds. This could end up being a male and a waste of time.

14. NJ actually but good guess. Its nice to finally see the sun today.

Misting is a great idea. Gotta get that dirt off the leaves I suppose for the best results and I know seedlings love getting misted in general. I was even thinking of feeding it with some fish and seaweed emulsion.

Very good point about planting more seeds. I do have a few in the tray this one sprouted from that have yet to sprout and I have about 6 more healthy looking seeds which I plan to plant any day now.

I'm just so excited about this one because it adapted to my local climate so well and it will be my most mature plant. I even have this theory that since it "learned" to adapt to near freezing temperatures it has a good chance of withstanding cold in the fall when its flowering.

15. Are you going to use fish and seaweed emulsion as your main ferts? I want to, but i feel like thats not enough. I'm not trying to grow primo bud though so yeah

16. I actually mixed in a few handfuls of Dr. Earth "Life" all purpose organic fertilizer which has an NPK rating of 5-5-5 and also has beneficial soil microbes. It worked great for me last year along with the fish and seaweed.

17. Where did you pick that up at? And also... If i were to get a quart of liquid ferts... how long would that last me for a single plant?

18. Try using coyote urine around the area. it will scare off deer and rabbits

19. I got it at a local garden center. I don't believe its sold at the big chains. As for the liquid ferts it depends on the strength of the fert and the needs of the plant. If its your only fert I really couldn't say cause I like to use something with a bunch of organic shit premixed in addition to the fish and seaweed but it is meant to be diluted so I would guess it would at least last a month or 2
    I'm using this stuff called deer off or deer away or something. It's all natural and I sprayed it around the plants and also peed around the plants. But if I come across coyote urine I might use that next time

Also an update:

My original seedling is still alive and healthy but maybe a little stunted. I hope its growth speeds up as it gets warmer. Updated pics on the way...

Today I planted 5 more seedlings in the ground. The only thing is tonight and tomorrow night the lows are predicted in the upper 30s. At least theres no chance of freezing and its supposed to warm up soon.

I just hope I didn't plant too early. Theres been no more freezing temps but the nights have been dipping into the 40s still and upper 30s as I just explained.

Does anyone have any predictions on how these cold nights will effect the seedlings. Will they just stay smaller. I'd be fine with that as long as they stay strong and flower normally. Any further insight or ideas?

20. As promised here is that original seedling that survived near freezing temps.

[​IMG]

I planted 5 others since then. All spent their first few days indoors before the transplant. Mysteriously 2 of them dried up even though the soil beneath them was still moist I did let the top crust over a bit.

I have 2 theories.

1. The root system wasn't given enough time to establish itself and couldn't keep up with the rate of respiration of the leaves given the sunny windy and dry weather we've been having
    2. I dripped some water, deer repellent to the leaves in the midday sin

I believe its most likely both but I open the question to you guys

Anyway I still have 4 healthy seedlings which are being monitered and lightly watered daily since my 2 losses

Here are my other 3, younger seedlings

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]