soil question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by chrisouth, Apr 25, 2012.

1. I know that they say that there is no such thing as a stupid question but I am sure some of you will consider this a "stupid question". Im actually a little embarrassed to even ask this question considering that I already have a few grows under my built (mostly hydro) and I am pretty sure that I already know the answer but to play it safe because I have spent a substantial amount on seeds for this growing season, I just want to make sure Im correct. So here is my question. When reading different soil mixes such as
    40% composted soil
    30% worm castings
    20% perlite
    10% dolomite

They are talking about percent by volume and not by weight. correct?

I know I sound like a complete newb but as far as outdoor grows go, I have always had a partner who dealt with mixing our soil. Last year I grew Himalayan Gold, Lemon skunk, and Twilight which all turned out good. The H.G. was a really good yielder but the lemon skunk was so much more potent. as for the twilight, it was just soso.
    I plan on starting a grow journal finally for this grow. Below is my order from attitude but they are not all mine since my bro went in half with me but I am definitely looking forward to get em going. got 30 in the paper towels as we speak and every one has popped. I will probably wait another day or two before I throw em in some light warrior with about 1/5 ocean forrest. Same method as last year and had 100% germ rate.

Product: Green House Seeds Big Bang Feminized
    Options: Feminized Seeds Per Pack - 05 Seeds
    Quantity: 1
    Product Code: GH16BFEM/GH16AFEM
    Price: $23.77

Product: Green House Seeds Big Bang Feminized
    Options: Feminized Seeds Per Pack - 10 Seeds
    Product Code: GH16BFEM/GH16BFEM
    Price: $39.62

Product: Green House Seeds The Church Feminized
    Quantity: 3
    Product Code: GH13AFEM - GH13BFEM/GH17AFEM
    Price: $85.57

Product: Nirvana Seeds PPP Feminized
    Quantity: 2
    Product Code: NIRH21/NSF538
    Price: $79.25

Product: KC Brains TNR Feminized
    Quantity: 4
    Product Code: NIRH21/NSF538
    Price: $171.17

Product: G13 Labs Pineapple Express Feminized
    Product Code: G13748/G13-F5-05
    Price: $47.55

Product: FREE Green House Seeds The Doctor Feminized 1 Seed
    Quantity: 6
    Product Code: GH Promo
    Price: $0.00

Product: UFO#5 Ch9 Female Seeds Super Haze
    Product Code: FREE SEEDS

Product: UFO#2 CH9 Female Seeds Blue Lemon Thai
    Product Code: FREE SEED

Product: UFO#4 CH9 Female Seeds Cluster
    Product Code: FREE SEEDS

Product: UFO#1 CH9 Female Seeds Critical Mass 33

Product: UFO#3 CH9 Female Seeds Green Bud

Product: FREE G13 Labs Cheese 3 Feminized Seeds
    Product Code: G13 LABS PROMO

Could someone please respond to my question? I know its a simple one and I have searched for the past 2 hours trying to find the answer so any info would be greatly appreciated. Also, any input on my seed selection is welcome as well as questions in regards to my growing plans.

2. you already have it bro that is exactly what it means the percentages of everything in your mix. 40% the volume will be composted soil, ect..
    don't make it harder than it is either alot of stuff like worm castings and compost is hard to have to much.

3. Thanks for the reply TKO. I was pretty sure about it and it made more since than mixing it by weight. I just picked up 60 lbs of worm castings. Im lucky enough to live close to a supplier. I think I'm going all organic this yr. I have a sh*t load of quality outdoor fem seeds and a nice secluded field by the river that is only accessible by boat (which I'm keeping an eye out for 1 on craigslist). so my only concern is animals but I'm pretty sure I have that covered as well. I'm interested in seeing how the TNR's turn out. They are reported to yield up to 2 lb per plant but I'm realistic and seriously doubt I could pull that much weight off of one plant but hey I'd be cool with half that lol. I tell myself every yr I'm going to do a journal but this yr is going to be the 1. PEACE!

4. I would put a KOW manure/mushroom compost mix on bottom, then maybe a topsoil/mushroom compost mix in the middle, then top it off with straight topsoil, maybe MG.

But yeah, looks like you did you're homework! Your % are spot on. hope your grow goes awesome! If you start a grow journal, hit me with a link.

5. I do plan on mixing in some mg organic choice garden soil. despite all the negative posts everywhere about mg, I have personally had great results by using this with just a mix of peat moss, perlite, and cow manure, also along with the ff trio pack for feeding. so basically after splitting up the beans between my brother and me I will have

8 fem GH seeds the church
    7 fem GH seeds big bang
    10 fem kc brains TNR
    10 fem nirvana pure power plants
    3 fem 13 LABS Pineapple express

now for the freebies:

Green House Seeds The Doctor Fem x3
    Ch9 Female Seeds Super Haze x1
    CH9 Female Seeds Cluster x1
    CH9 Female Seeds Critical Mass 33 x1
    G13 Labs Cheese Fem x1

so.... 45 high quality outdoor strains (some more quality than others) but none the less, im super happy with my selection. this will be my biggest grow as of yet and the only issue that Im a little sketchy on is the soil. last year I planted in 5 gallon buckets and they all got root bound and left me with much less of a yield than i could have got, so this year I think im leaning towards in-ground planting after they are strong enough to survive. I also plan on giving each plant 8-10 gallons of soil for each hole. I live in the midwest so last frost is usually mid may. they will be kept in my grow box until last frost and then I will gradually introduce them to mother nature. my grow box is simply just a giant tote with an intake and exhaust fan with (6) 40wt cfl's. the box has always gave me great results for my seedlings. As I stated, the soil is our main issue because between the 2 of us we have 76 beans. I am not willing to spend the money on top priced soil for a large grow like this and for all the mg haters out there then check this out It's All Bullsh*t > dont know if im allowed to post that link if im not then please inform me and i will delete it. so here is what i do plan on using. bone & blood meal, mg organic choice garden soil, worm castings, perlite, cow shite, and peat moss. how does this sound? any advice on if im using something i shouldnt or if im not including something that i should be including. any info will be greatly appreciated and once I have them in my box I will be starting a detailed journal but I will need the help of my fellow growers. PEACE!

6. Also, i know it may seem a little lazy of me and some of you may not want to reply because u may think that I can easily find the solution by searching enough but I have to share my pc with my girl cause she is studyn for her midterms and also my situation is not exactly the same as everyone else looking for soil info. THANKS!

7. Damn that's quite a lot of seeds. Sounds like you've got a good place for them though. Anyway yeah it's by volume, but I never bother being specific unless I'm adding chemical nutes.

8. Go big or don't go at all lol. I'm basically going big b/c I feel that Ive learned enough from my past mistakes to be completely successful this year. A couple of LBows don't really last me too long and I'm in an area where if you got good grade bud then you are a God amongst the weed heads lol. But what I really need is some advice about the choices of amendments and soil that i stated i will be using such as percentage and if seems to be a good choice of mix. Its gonna get a lil pricey since im wanting to do about 8-10 gallons per hole with around 70 seeds. Im sure my bro will probably lose at least a few during germ and seedling stage b/c he's lacking in experience. I know it sounds like I too am lacking experience because of this simple soil mix question but as I stated, I always had mine mixed for me and before that I was growing with a flood and drain system but due to me relocating I am unable to do full grows because of the smell and close neighbors :D

9. sorry bud i didn't read your entire post but you said you are planning on growing that much using store bought miracle grow soil? you will save yourself alot of money by buying bulk bales of sunshine or promix. adding your choice of organic ferts to it. not only will the soil be better than the miracle grow you will save some loot and be able to tell your friends it's organic something miracle grow is not last i knew. and if you want to be a weed god organic is the only way.

10. That sound like a really good soil mix GO GREEN, don't panic if it's organic, good luck bro . Just make sure your getting sunlight

11. The reason you don't see problems with the MG is because you dilute it. Its not helping your cause considering your adding quality components othan than it. Why not find out if substituting it for a quality soil is worth the relatively small amount of money? On a scale of yours, I sure as hell wouldn't risk MG even if it's diluted.

12. If I could find some remotely close to where I live then I would get me some bales of promix or sunshine. Unfortunately I tried to find some last year with no success and I did try every place that might carry them. maybe they did have some but didnt want to come off of any. I'm in an area that is flooded with MG products. I haven't even been able to locate any cow shite yet. The only thing that I have found is a mix of cow manure and humus produced by Earthgro. Im not sure if I should keep looking or go ahead and get the manure/humus mix. Does anyone know if this product is any good? would I need to cut back on anything in my mix because of the humus? Luckily Ive found some schultz perlite this yr. I remember helping my buddy clean the MG perlite last yr because of the small amount of ferts in it. As far as was goung on with my beans, I placed around 25 of them in the seed starting mix and they are sitting in plastic cups inside of my little grow tote. as soon as they start breaking ground then I will start with the pics and grow journal. any and all advice and input is and has been greatly appreciated.

13. Has anyone had luck with liquid ferts u add to the water instead of the soil?

14. We used MG organic choice garden soil as our base soil along with other amendments and we had no problem. I have pics to back that up. Also you may want to check out this link that I posted above. here it is 1 more time

It's All Bullsh*t

If it was a realistic option for me to obtain some "quality soil" then I definitely would go that route but the relatively small amount of money you are talking about is actually far from relatively small considering that after spending the money on shipping I would almost be spending triple the amount per 1.5 cubic ft of soil and I most definitely wont be driving a few hundred miles to get quality soil when I can just make my own. Most MG soil is not fit for MJ but their organic choice is far from their typical product. Many people can verify that.

15. The Fox Farm trio pack which includes big bloom, grow big & tiger bloom has worked well for me

16. [quote name='"chrisouth"']

We used MG organic choice garden soil as our base soil along with other amendments and we had no problem. I have pics to back that up. Also you may want to check out this link that I posted above. here it is 1 more time

It's All Bullsh*t

If it was a realistic option for me to obtain some "quality soil" then I definitely would go that route but the relatively small amount of money you are talking about is actually far from relatively small considering that after spending the money on shipping I would almost be spending triple the amount per 1.5 cubic ft of soil and I most definitely wont be driving a few hundred miles to get quality soil when I can just make my own. Most MG soil is not fit for MJ but their organic choice is far from their typical product. Many people can verify that.[/quote]

I posted before I read that getting other soils was an impossibility. Good for you to make due with what you've got! :D

17. From what I can tell mix some local dirt 70% peat 20% and perlite 10%

And a liguid fert u mix with ur water. I'm set up for about 50$

18. Lowes carries premier sphagnum peat moss, mushroom compost, and animal manures. Using 10% domolite lime is too much, I use 1-2 cups per cubic ft. You only need 20% wormcastings, I would get you a couple bails of sphagnum peat moss, and mix your wormcastings at 20% manures at 20%, sphagnum peat moss at 40% and perlite at 20%. You dont need any premade soils (foxfarm, mg, ect) just add some ammendments and your good to go (bone meal, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, mycos, ect) if soil ammendments are hard too source lowes also carries espoma plant tone and bio tone I would use both the bio tone has mycos.