Northern Lights outdoor grow

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by MsSensimillia, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Hi guys. This is my first grow ever, so hopefully it turns out alright. I got the seeds from a sack that someone picked up a while ago - I know for a fact that they're Northern Lights, but I'm not sure if they're pure or a mix.

I'm also not expecting high quality buds to come out of this plant...it's more for the experience.

So....I'm in the process of popping three seeds right now. One has already popped out it's tap root - I'm going to transfer it to soil tonight. I'm planning on keeping them in the window sill until they're big enough to move outside. I know that it's not a particularly effcient method, but does anyone have any tips?

Thanks. I'll keep everyone posted in hopes of getting some advice

Attached Files:

2. My baby came up today, so it's healthy. It's still un-sexed. My other two seeds still haven't grown a tap root, so I'm going to try to pop a few more to make sure that I get more than one plant. Don't want to end up with one male plant

Attached Files:

3. Officially a seedling.

The other two seeds haven't germinated, and I doubt they will. In a last effort I'm going to break the seeds with a razor blade in hopes that it will weaken the shell and allow the tap roots to pop out.

However, I started on four other seeds last night. Two are still soaking in water...the other two had sunk to the bottom when I woke up, and I therefore have them germinating on a wet paper towel.

How much direct sunlight should my baby be getting? I have it sitting in the window now, but out of direct sunlight (for fear of burning it) See attached pictures

Attached Files:

4. Sprouted and doing well. The embryonic leaves have opened up, and it's first set of leaves have grown as well. It's growing up towards the sun, and is able to support itself for the moment. At what point will I be able to tell if it's too weak to support itself?

At night it leans to the left or the right, which is actually a good sign - it's leaning towards where it thinks the sun is going to come up in the morning.

At this point, I'm still growing it inside on the window sill. Here are my questions for this post:

1. At what point will I be able to tell if the plant is going to be too weak to support itself? I would rather catch it before any damage is done to the plant.
    2. How many hours of direct sunlight should it be recieving? I don't want to burn/dry it out.

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

5. If I were you I would keep my seedlings under light 24/7. A single CFL will do the trick for the first week. If you can get a 6500k (cool white) and keep it about 1" above the seedling.

As far as supporting itself I haven't had problems with plants falling over until the buds are so heavy that they can not support the weight. I have seen a seedling my friend started on his window-sill get so tall that it fell over, but it was fine once we got it under a light and buried some of that very long stem under dirt.

GL!

6. #6 MsSensimillia, Sep 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2009

Thanks! I'll definitely look into the lights that you suggested once I get everything set up. But I've basically just been sticking it in the window sill like your friend, and it's shooting up nice and tall. I just started putting it outdoors in the sun during the day and bringing it inside at night. I've been avoiding putting it near other plants to avoid bugs.

How long should I keep it at an inch above the plant? At all times?

7. The other two seeds popped out of the ground today. I've gotten three out of seven seeds. The oldest baby is starting to grow it's second set of leaves, although you can barely see them right now.

Attached Files:

8. so this is going to be an outdoor grow?
    aren't you a tad bit late?
    Just curious cuz all my girls have been flowering for awhile.

9. Yeah i hope your not wasting your nl seeds trying to grow during the winter.

10. ^depends where he lives; it doesn't get that cold in california (only in the mountains), but the winter solstice light cycles will crap on that plants grow cycle (you might even see a possible case of early flowing)... but then again that depends on how far you are from the equator, and barometric pressure; but i know that the c02 levels will be plenty if you live east of a big city.

11. I just started mine, too. I live in south, south, SOUTH Texas. Winter for us starts on mid December and lasts through mid February. By 'winter', i meant we get like four or five cold fronts dropping the temperatures to 50. The rest of the time it's sunny with a pleasant cool feel. I'm keeping mine indoors on shit days with a CFL. I bring them out on sunny days.

12. I guess it depends on where your at, but how do you expect to grow those beauties outdoors through the winter? If i were you i'd just buy a nice 400 watt CFL or something and throw all 3 plants under it, it'll probably work better than leaving them in cold winter conditions outdoors, its your grow though.

Anyways, if thats legit NL your in for a treat when you harvest those babies:D