my outdoor grow in india (12 latitude)

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by elchupacabra, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Background:

so despite the massive hype about south india, blah blah blah, the best weed over here just doesn't compare anywhere near the weed i've smoked on trips back home to california, or weed friends and i have brought into the country unconventionally. and i have a strong opinion that the major problem is not so much in the seed quality itself, because i have come across the occasional relatively crazy weed (still nothing like mid-highs from cali) which a seasoned toker can tell has potential to be better, was poorly grown, harvested early, not fed, etc. the reason that weed is never anything worth comparing to internationally is threefold:
    -there is no set price for weed here. it all depends on distance from the center of the city. we can get complete shit for $3-4 for about ten grams. you can smoke a joint to yourself and experience a very mild buzz, the taste will be un-weed like, and, more often than not, noob smokers or tourists wind up with a popular 20 gram packet of very very brown weed, with more stems seeds and leaves than buds, laced with one or several of rat poison, caramelized sugar (increases the mass and adds a shimmering golden coat when done properly, also rapes throat violently when smoked), battery acid, and many more, leading to a dirty dirty high, not weed like at all, and there are several people who don't know better, live here, and will proudly smoke that stuff because it's the only stuff they've ever smoked. so the market thrives on ignorance.
    -be serious, in a country like india where people can't afford food more often than not, you think they can pay for electricity? all growing is done outdoor here, wherever it can be hidden from police. those under the poverty line (who are the people who grow and sell weed, and form 70% of the population) are not so influential with the authorities, and have to grow in places police will not find, or harvest early in case the likelihood of getting caught hits a maximum threshold. why people like you and me don't grow and sell weed is a long story about india's society and class divides for another time. the essence of the story is this - as a result, weed is ridiculously cheap, with relatively good quality (not laced, green buds, only a few seeds, very finely and sparsely crystal coated, smells invariably of raw mangoes when crushed - when simply smelt without crushing, just a leafy smell) coming in at 1000-1200 rupees (20-24 USD) for fifty grams (+/- 10) if you know your scores and languages. the flipside is that bad quality weed is invariably the same price. and there are also slightly smarter people selling weed at 500 rupees (10 usd) for 10-15 grams.
    -people who grow rarely purchase or use quality soil or compost or any organic additive or chemical additive. if the plant is deficient, it's deficient, end of story. the soil we have naturally here is very very red - filled with clay and i'm guessing iron which lends the red color. not a good grow medium at all imo.

The Grow:
    (yes, pics included)

so i've decided to grow from some relatively good quality weed seeds. we get around 11.5-12.5 hrs sunlight through the year. summers are hot and semi-humid, when i say hot, i mean about 40 degrees celsius this summer. i purchased quality potting soil, bone meal, sand, nutes, neem oil sprays, and ceramic/plastic pots at prices ridiculously cheap compared internationally. i'm growing outdoor, because i'm so close to the equator, and security is just not an issue in this country as far as growing goes. people will see it, perhaps point, possibly not know what it is, probably think it's something else, and definitely keep walking.

so without knowing anything about the genetics or gender, germinated some seeds, turned out to be mainly sativa, here are some pics it's been about a month now growing outdoors. i've been tying em down.

recently got some bricks and made a little enclosure which i'm gonna fill with my soil mix in a few days and transplant. it's been about a month. i'll keep you guys posted.

ALSO, got a friend to bring me down critical jack seeds from dinafem in a week, will see how those grow comparitively.

this is my first grow ever

have attached pictures:

1 - (april 14th) one month since the seeds were sown
    2,4 - same plant diff angle, topped a couple of them at different times and lst'd
    3,5 - 2.5 weeks since germination, started lst on this one real early, topping as well

i broke off a good 2cm of stem off of one of the plants in the first picture...now i have figured out that when growth is almost horizontal, it doesn't matter, it's like topping, i think the auxins shoot to the rest of the plant and make it go into a crazy grow mode.

well that's that for now, will keep you updated

Attached Files:

2. #2 rickys, May 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2012
    big hello from the capital.......so i am assuming that the pics are of a landrace or bagseed grow from stuff bought in bangalore.good luck with your grow.I am in a similar situation, having been used to smoking strong indoor skunk(what you call dank in cali) and am now having a tough time having moved back to India.there is absolutely no parthenocarpic/sensi available in india and unfortunately I dont have the time or resources for a grow op.
    Are you planning to grow the critical jacks outdoors as well?I highly doubt they would reach flowering in this heat.

3. Why grow ya own if the stuff available is so cheap?
    what you are growing is imported seed..?? if not get some..??

still be careful of the odd rip-off?

good luck

peace
    "V"

4. watching keenly. good luck bro!

5. the quality it's grown at here fucking sucks, end of story. as i said, it's either picked too early (often even a month in advance), not grown well, allowed to succumb to fungus, lots and lots of seeds, adulterated, etc. who wants to smoke shit mate, no matter how cheap?

6. some strain from karnataka, yeah. haha i know what skunk is man. if you're in delhi though, find a way to get a hold of hash, it's fucking good value for money and quality in the north compared to cali...make sure it doesn't smell of anything like vicks or it's not too squishy and soft. or too hard.

fortunately, the photoperiod and weather here is such that it will probably be okay by the time the flowering session happens. those critical jacks got kinda cancelled cause of a forgetful friend so now i'm thinking of ordering some durban poison, heard it's a lot better for equatorial outdoor grows. any other strains? resistant to mold and good for an outdoor grow? and the temps will fall from now onwards...

7. got a pic of these two month old girls, they all showed preflowers, male first, and took him off, the other two are females fortunately. after transplanting into a pit and doing some massive lst, they've grown pretty wide and not so tall, which is brilliant.

Attached Files:

8. Plants are looking health and nice job with the LST however once she starts putting on some weight you may need to help the support the plant.

9. #9 ruh roh, May 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2012
    Looks good man, those things are bushy!!!! :D sub'd BTW

You live in India? Thats pretty fucking cool. Hows the weather over there? lol.

10. what i'm actually gonna do about this is put in a sort of chicken-wire wall around the grow area to which i can attach supports to the plant's stems. it will be easier to visualize with a pic, soon my friend ;)

11. right now keeps fluctuating between unbelievably hot and literally painfully rainy

12. Haha, it's kinda like that here too, but more stormy than rainy...I love storms.

13. oh yeah rainy means stormy here, it won't rain unless it pours and fucks us over with thunder and lighting. one of the plants split down the middle as a result, but it didn't seem to be bothered in the slightest haha

14. lookin good mane im curious to see your harvest

15. Pictures!!!!!! lol.

16. folks, any good idea what strain to grow for an outdoor grow with a humid climate? i wanted to order from nirvana, how would kaya gold be?

17. Check out KC brains, almost all of their strains are made be grown outdoors and mold resistant.

18. are they good with international delivery

19. I order from attitude and i dont mind paying extra for guaranteed shipping.

20. #20 rickys, May 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2012
    im smoking the good charas day and night but completely clean stuff is available for at least 4-5 times the price you can buy at source in himachal.the quality of the best of the hand rubbed is not in the same league as cali dank.Ice hash is top notch though.Clean first press hand rubbed(the cream) or ice hash is extremely soft and pliable.Soft=good=less plant matter and more resin.

Durban Poison will work well in bangalore.the nirvana seeds DP is not landrace but bred with Early Skunk.try the dutch passion DP.Also mandala seeds genetics are excellent for India as the strains are robust and not hybridized much.someone mentioned kc brains but as they are bred for outdoors in holland I doubt they will work well here.

oh and "skunk"=dank and not the skunk#1 or related strains.