Grinders and collecting kief

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by Spiritdance3, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Sooo Grasscity, I just acquired my first grinder, a fairly simple metallic instrument. Standard grinder really. I grind up my weed, open up the middle and pour my stash into my nifty little cork bottle where it lives until I smoke it.

My question is this: How long do I leave the weed in the middle portion so that the kief will fall through the screen and into the bottom portion of the grinder? I would like to make my own hash, and I realize this takes a while, but will it go stale on me if I leave it in the middle portion longer (for optimal kief collection)? :confused:

Any advice is welcome. Thanks for your time :D

2. If you want the most kief take your buds and stick them into the grinder portion. Next put the lid on but don't grind it yet. Now set it in the freezer for like 5 minute till it gets cold. Take it out and grind it up. Now you should always keep a nickel in the screen portion. Shake up a little bit and wala kief just shitted all over the bottom cell of the grinder

3. What does the nickel do?

4. When you shake the grinder the nickel slides over the screen pushing the kief down without pushing plant matter through

5. Well first time i used my grinder had a gram of sum good and it gave me a lot of kief for my first time ever.grind it then hit on the side with ur palm a couple times.

6. Why does everyone want to collect their kief? I just grind that shit up, and after a couple months I get a decent amount of kief in the kief catcher. I want that kief in my joint, not in the bottom of a grinder..but thats just me.

7. they`re collecting the kief to smoke..........

8. kief is much more efficiently used in vapes, rather than just being smoked. i love saving it for my MFLB :D

9. #10 bassmasta211, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I'm guessing you only read the first sentence of my post....

10. i wouldnt use any planned amount of time, just grind it up when u need it and if some is left over then just let it chill, if you want the most kief from your grinder(and not from the bud you are about to smoke) then use a small brush to brush the screen and the compartments, most electric razors come with the perfect brush for grinders

11. good tip, i've been using an old razor's brush (one side short stiffer bristles, and the other longer more flexible) with my MFLB for some time when i can't find any loose flux brushes (what they provide you with in the MFLB kit). you can get those brushes 3/$0.90 at places like home depot.

i don't dedicate all my weed to grinding and saving kief. i always keep about 2-4 grams ground up in a bottle for my MFLB, and the rest of the stash stays full until i break it up by hand for smoking, or until i need more MFLB grinds. but saving what kief i can is very nice for my purposes. if one doesn't have a good efficient way of using extracts/concentrates it shouldn't matter to them, but to others it can make a very nice addition to their already efficient methods when they can't find any kief at the clubs, or wherever else one purchases from.

12. theres really no reason to keep your bud in the middle chamber of the grinder, considering most of the kief is knocked off the bud and collected during the grinding.

putting your bud+grinder in the freezer and keeping the nickel on the screen will both give you more kief per grind as others have said, but its not really necessary imo

13. when i am making an attempt to save kief, i put it through this really nice 2-pc i have, then brush that all out carefully into my 4-pc screened grinder, horizontally shake it for a bit and i'm done and just clean it all out.

14. The little amount of kief that you would put in the joint wouldn't change much in the high you get in my opinion.

15. i am really wanting to get a grinder and i want to get a real quality one, i heard on another forum to get a space case or cosmic grinder, are these worth the price?

16. the quality grinders ive heard most often are space cases, mendo mulchers and chromium crushers. my friends had a cosmic which was good but they just got a new one. i didnt know silver surfer made grinders but its a machine.

17. I have been using a titanium crusher for the last couple years and its been great, still is. I've heard great things about the more expensive grinders but am not sure how they can work much better than mine... teeth are good, durable, consistency etc

18. I love to reserve kief for making a concentrate or just smoking alone to get very high. I love doing this, I usually safe it for my magic flight box were I can use it most efficiently. It seems to hit forever on a trench and then it all melts together into hash I can smoke.

The freezer method works great, I like to scrape my screen frequently(instead of a penny, I have a small grinder.) and tap it on the side of my hand a few times after grinding, and also make sure you keep your screen clean and unclogged. In the end the quantity of kief will be a result of the quality and dryness of your cannabis.

19. I just bought a Sharp Crusher of ebay for liek $10 its a 4 piece and it looks sick in the pictures. Hopefully it will be here in the next couple days :)