Classy DIY Stash Box For Under $15

Discussion in 'Other Smoking Accessories' started by Mister Meaner, Jul 11, 2012.

1. A lot of you blades have a Jar where you keep your stash. The lucky among us have several jars to hold their stash. Sadly, there are some of us who only have the humble baggy. And where there is a jar, or a baggie, there is often a pipe and a grinder. And where there is a jar/baggie, pipe and grinder, there must also be a container to hold and to hide, this, our holy trinity of smokiness. I have seen and read about a lot of blades keeping their stash jars/baggies and their toking tools in shoeboxes, camera cases, toolboxes etc... and it seems like such a shame. Our noble plant, deserves a noble box, to hold it. I do understand that many of us kids need to hide it from the parents, or, many of us parents need to hide it from the kids, but for those of us lucky enough to leave our tools in the open (but not laying all over the place like a slouch (I talkin to you! Slouch!)), here is a tutorial on how to make your own high end custom smoking station for super cheap.

You will need:
    A nice cigar box. (Most cigar shops give them away or sell them for around $5) You can also use a shitty cigar box, it just won't be as nice. Obviously.
    Felt. At least 2 sheets. ($.30-1.00/sheet) You could also use velvet or heavy silk or even leather or suede if you have it. Old curtains are often velvet. If your curtains are velvet, use them. You obviously need new curtains anyway.
    Double stick Carpet seam tape. (Any hardware store has this $5) Don't try to reuse the existing tape under your current carpet. This ain't like stealin the screen from the bathroom faucet. Ya gotta buy new shit!
    Craft wood. (from the craft store for the thin stuff or the home improvement store if you don't mind it being slightly thicker. The craft store wood is almost thin enough to cut with a utility knife, so if you don't have a saw, get the thinner wood. $3) And if you don't have a saw, and can't get thin wood, you can either get stronger arms to go with that utility knife, or just buy a saw like a responsible citizen who takes care of himself/herself.

Step 1:
    Decide your layout.

Step 2:
    Cut the felt for the bottom. I Cut mine large enough for the sides too as the sides of this box curve a little and I thought it would be easier. (It was not.)
    Apply the tape to the felt, and stick one edge in place.

Step 3:
    I stuck the tape to the felt here, but if you only peel one side of the doublestick tape and tape it inside the box, then peel the paper off the other side and stick the felt to it, it would be easier. (I did the front and back of the box this way and it was much better.)

Step 4:
    Trim the edges at the top of the box with a NEW razor blade. (Felt is hard to cut with a blade that you used to scrape up your last 3 batches of QWISO.) Burn off the fuzz with a lighter, or a lantern with the glass removed if you are amish. What are ya doin on the internet if you're amish? GTFO! Fuckin Amish.

Step 5:
    Rethink your layout and you can now measure and cut your dividers.
    Note: For a nicer look, cut your dividers shorter than the top edge of the box. I don't know why, but it seems to look better. But be careful on the length. The tighter they fit, the better. When in doubt, cut it long and sand it to fit. And wear your fucking safety goggles when using power tools. Seriously. I'm not fucking around here. People don't pick up a power tool thinking "Here I go, Bout to lose an eye." but thats how it happens people. In an INSTANT!

Step 6:
    When wrapping the felt around the dividers, wrap the tape so it goes under the bottom edge, and wrap the felt so it goes over the top edge, but leave the tape exposed on the bottom of the divider. This will help hold the divider in place.

Step 7:
    Press your dividers in place. Press lightly at first, then firmly when you are sure of the positioning. The tape is super sticky and will damage the felt if you move it after it is stuck.

Step 8:
    Fill it up, admire your handiwork, invite your friends over for a sesh so they can admire it too. Be sure to talk at length about the entire construction process while you are holding the pipe, waiting to light it. And your friends just stare, wondering, if they will ever, ever, get you to shut up and smoke.

I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial as much as I have enjoyed making it.:wave: And if you have questions or need clarifications, just post em' up! Sorry the pics don't match exactly with the steps, but, you get what you pay for!

Attached Files:

• cb1.jpg
      cb1.jpg
      File size:
      323.7 KB
      Views:
    • cb3.jpg
      cb3.jpg
      File size:
      195.1 KB
      Views:
    • cb5.jpg
      cb5.jpg
      File size:
      508.1 KB
      Views:
    • cb7.jpg
      cb7.jpg
      File size:
      253.8 KB
      Views:
    • cb8.jpg
      cb8.jpg
      File size:
      264.7 KB
      Views:
    • cb9.jpg
      cb9.jpg
      File size:
      230.2 KB
      Views:
    • cb11.jpg
      cb11.jpg
      File size:
      198.2 KB
      Views:
    • cb12.jpg
      cb12.jpg
      File size:
      292.9 KB
      Views:
    • cb13.jpg
      cb13.jpg
      File size:
      208 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Beautiful:)
    My Roomate bought a really sweet wooden box at tj max, I might just "upgrade" her stash box for her!!

3. fuckin amish.

4. @ fuckin amish.

LOL.

5. Awesome.

6. Love the idea, great tutorial try'd something like this before but the two cigar boxes i found in my house weren't tall enough to hold my Jar:( and i can't exactly go to a cigar store to buy an empty box or ask for an empty one. my local shop id's at the door:(

7. [quote name='"China Man420"']Love the idea, great tutorial try'd something like this before but the two cigar boxes i found in my house weren't tall enough to hold my Jar:( and i can't exactly go to a cigar store to buy an empty box or ask for an empty one. my local shop id's at the door:([/quote]

I'm glad you liked it and that I inspired you to make one. However if you aren't old enough to buy a cigar box, you aren't old enough for this forum.
    Hopefully you will be inspired to return when you are 18.

8. That's epic. I'd love to make something like that but I'm not too good with craft type things.

9. LOvely box, its really nice ! & great tutorial too :)

Oh love the way you just said that ^^^^

10. That's cool dude. I've found a tackle box works really really good for organizing your box. And when your collection gets full it's good to know you have all that space for pipes or whatever. Yours looks like it could get a little cramped for me lol

Currently I have incense all in the bottom of my box.

All I did to make mine was buy primered spray paint, a tackle box, and some masking tape and took every piece apart and threw on some stickers after the fact.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Damn, I'm loving that box too! OP's is classy looking, but yours has tons of space and I love the colors.

12. I might have to go make one myself. Ill post pics if I finish it.

13. That is just Fucking Cool !

Love It !

14. That's dope man. If I walked in and saw that I would wonder why there's a fisherman's tackle box in your house instead of the basement or garage, haha.

15. To be fair, in BC the age to purchase tobacco products is 19, not 18. ;)

That was an awesome tutorial though!

16. Perhaps he's an avid fisher... :rolleyes:

17. This is my work in progress so far.I used an old phillies blunt tin box.I still have the inside to do.

Attached Files:

18. Looking good!

19. I finished the inside today.

Attached Files:

20. [quote name='"Blackandtandan"']This is my work in progress so far.I used an old phillies blunt tin box.I still have the inside to do.[/quote]

Is the box from a cigar shop? Free or paid for it?