Mulch suggestions?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by mossback1953, Nov 1, 2011.

1. I'm devouring information from Dr. Clive Edwards. Some of the studies state better crop yields from a mulch on top of castings. If I remember correctly. it was due to the sun and exposure to the elements. What would be a good choice? Would a fir bark and fir dust be wise? Would it bring up the fungal componet? I was thinking a 2" layer of castings and a 1" + layer of fir mix on top. I was going to water it in with a fungal based AACT tea. Thank you eveyone...

2. I'm really liking a fan leaf mulch in my garden. I'm not sure how much it is helping, but it's kind of neat to pull back the leafs and see critters scurrying about. And it does keep the soil surface from drying out quickly. And could anything be better for pot plants than pot leaves? MIW

3. That is a great idea! I have used comfrey leaves before. They seem to break down really fast.

4. Comfrey is great as a top dressing but not so much as a mulch. Because it breaks down so fast. I like to use coco chunks.

5. clover seeds......living mulch!

6. Dried comfrey, horsetail, nettle, neem/karanja meals, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, EWC, compost, fan leaves (from the pot plant itself),

7. parden me if this is a stupid question, but what would the clover do for you as a living mulch? Im just curious because I have some clover seeds handy.

8. Hi Irie and no pardon required as it is a very valid and important question.
    Clover will accumulate minerals and at some point can be cut and left on the surface to supply organic material to your soil. And return said minerals to your soil.
    It provides a canopy over your soil which shelters arthropods and other fauna, which are part of a healthy soil food web. It helps to maintain an even moisture level, at least on the surface. It is a nitrogen fixer as well.
    Hope this helps or at least answers any questions.

Sam

9. I have also seen "mini clover" used - little tiny clover. Was very cool.

jerry.

10. I'll probably go with clover when I get some big Smart Pots going.

11. Does your pot have to be a certain size to use clover? I use 5 gallon buckets. I figured that'd be plenty big.

12. I've used clover in smaller pots so you are good to go!!

13. I especially like the 'miniclover' but, it has become what seems to be almost impossible to find.
    I'd appreciate a heads up if you are able to find it.

14. These are not my pictures or text, however, I thought they were very cool and appropriate for this thread. Thanks to the photagrapher and author.

microclover: this variety of dutch white clover is very hard to come by, but perfect for any size container. sow it thick. see dutch white clover for details.

dutch white clover: suitable for all but the smallest containers. White clover is a nitrogen fixer under the right conditions. It does a good job shading the soil and does not interfere with cannabis growth, rooting, or germination. Spreads by above ground stolons, and forms a mat of shallow roots. Can be used alone for increased bio-activity at soil surface, water management, and as green manure. Can host some of the same mycorhizae as cannabis. Tolerates some mowing if well established.

crimson clover: suitable for 5 gallon containers and up. tap-rooted. Forms a thick carpet that creates a nanoclimate from the soil surface up about 6 inches. Same compatibility with cannabis as other clovers. does not do well with mowing. Crimson clover flowers when the day becomes longer than 12 hours

jerry

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      69.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      152.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      79.5 KB
      Views:
  15. I've inter-planted dutch white into my lawn, around all my trees, and in my veggie/flower gardens. Really helps the lawn battle the summer heat and still be green. Plus it just has 'that smell' when mowed :) Helps with weed control as a living mulch outdoor. The weed seed can't get established, because the clover is so thick.

16. Ordered and thank you Jerry! The fat man rocks! :D

17. I'll tell you what - our horse makes a beeline for the clover patches every time. Even in the hottest heat during the summer, it seems the clover stays the greenest out of everything in the pasture.

I have some bare spots in the pasture - is hard with a horse eating everything and running around with sharp hooves. I have a giant pile of stall bedding, made up of manure and wood shavings that is 2 years old now and absolutely fully composted. I'm planning on spreading this pile out in the pasture this coming spring (bare spots get 1st pick) and re-seeding with a clover-heavy seed mix.

It really does stay green all summer, and is a great attractant for bees as well.

jerry.

18. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Vermiculture-Technology-Earthworms-Environmental-Management/dp/1439809879"]Vermiculture Technology: Earthworms, Organic Wastes, and Environmental Management[/ame]

Edited by Dr. Clive A. Edwards, Dr. Norman Q. Arancon, Dr. Rhonda L. Sherman

This book is an anthology of 34 articles from around the world on the technologies employed in vermiculture vs. vermicomposting operations. This book covers everything one needs to know in this area.

This book ain't about grabbing a plastic bin and dumping in lettuce leaves to make castings. It covers vermistabilization which is the neutralization of heavy metals, pathogens, etc., increasing nutrient profiles in vermicompost by manipulating food stocks, etc.

HTH

LD