soil building

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by DixonCox, May 1, 2011.

1. #1 DixonCox, May 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2011
    Hey gc,

I am building my soil and I was wondering if you all had input on ratios here is what I am working with. my end goal is about 120 gallons or 16cf.

Premier Peat Moss
    Homemade worm castings (only have about 10 - 15 gallons)
    Homemade thermal compost
    Rice hulls
    Pumice
    Perlite

I was thinking about a base of 4 parts peat, 3 parts composts , 3 parts rice hulls, pumice and perlite . i have about 1 cf of perlite and 2 cf of pumice so mostly would be rice hulls. i can always purchase more of something needed.

Here is what I am unclear on , nutrient sources i have some ideas just unsure. I have:

Kelp meal (1/2 cup per cf ?)
    Alfalfa meal (1/2 cup per cf ?)
    Crab shell meal (no idea)
    Blood meal (1/2 cup per cf ?)
    Bone meal (1/2 cup per cf ?)
    Fish bone meal (1/2 cup per cf ?)
    Azomite (1/4 cup per cf ?)
    Green Sand (1/4 cup per cf ?)
    Soft rock phosphate (no idea)
    Oyster shell flour (1 cup per cf)
    Sul-po-mag (1/4 cup per cf ?)

i don't have to use any or all of the amendments if i did it seems it would be hot but i would like to build a soil that is mostly water only with an occasional hit of kelp extract, tm-7, aact or fish hydrolysate.

thanks in advance

2. looks good. I'd go for only one kind of bone meal though.

3. #3 LumperDawgz2, May 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2011
    DixonCox

Like Stankie mentioned you might want to consider going with a single bone meal source and I opt for fish bone meal but to each their own.

On your mineral list, all of the components make up what is sold regionally as Naomi's Mix which consists of equal parts (by volume and not weight) the following: soft rock phosphate, limestone, greensand, Azomite and Canadian Rock Dust. This mix is used by a number of commercial organic farmers in the Pacific Northwest and I have recommend it in the past and would do so in the future.

Having said that I think the following is better and you have almost everything on hand. Mix equal parts of the following:

Gypsum - elemental sulfur and calcium

Oyster shell powder - like limestone this is pure calcium carbonate whereas limestone has 3% Magnesium in a form that isn't going to do you much good in a container garden

Soft Rock Phosphate - 3% available Phosphorus and 23% elemental Calcium

Azomite - your call

Sul-Po-Mag

Add 1 - 1.5 cups of this mix to 1 c.f. of potting soil

Still not done with mineralization...............

Canadian Rock Dust - this is a very different 'rock dust' than the volcanic sourced minerals (bentonite, Azomite, et al) or marine deposits (limestones, oyster shell powder, et al) and you can apply this far more liberally and should. According to the label of the Gaia Green Canadian Rock Dust the application rate is 8 tablespoons (4 ounces) to 1 gallon of potting soil or 1.75 lbs. to 1 c.f. of potting soil. Before you get too startled please do some reading on the differences between 'glacial' and 'volcanic' mineral compounds. Some terms that might be interesting are Glacial Milk, ORMUS, et al. Fun, fun, fun!!!

On the crab meal I use it in a mix of equal parts (again by volume) of neem seed meal, crab meal and kelp meal. Mix thoroughly and apply 2 cups to 1 c.f. of potting soil.

HTH

LD2

4. I've looked for this in bags around here and haven't had any luck. They have tubs of it at the local grow store but its a little pricey (of course). I did however find spiral stone meal (down to earth) would this be a good substitute? I can't find much (any) information on it other than its glacial and from California.

5. Dixon - that's a new product from the guys at DTE so I looked at their web site page for this mineral product.

It's glacial rock dust mixed with volcanic rock dust. Stick with their suggested application rate and you're good to go. I'd drop the Azomite if you opt for this product which would be a good choice, IMHO.

HTH

LD2

6. Well I was out this weekend and happened to find some glacial rock dust I also picked up some soybean meal. Now I just have to get to mixing. This is the recipe I've come up with based on the recommendations above.

4 parts peat moss 3 parts composts
    3 parts rice hulls, pumice and perlite

then

1/2 cup per cf of:

Blood meal
    Alfalfa meal
    Bone meal (I may have enough fish bone meal for 1c per cf if so nix this)
    Fish bone meal

Mix Equal parts of:
    neem seed meal
    crab meal
    kelp meal
    Soybean meal
    then add 2 cups per cf

1/4 cup per cf of:
    Azomite
    Green Sand

Mix Equal parts of:
    Gypsum
    Oyster shell powder
    Soft Rock Phosphate
    Sul-Po-Mag
    Then add 2 cups per cf

3 cups of glacial rock dust per cf

Attached Files:

7. Hello Dixon, how is this working out for you? Thanks

8. Sorry 52st, I missed this post. Everything is working great so far. A shot of AACT then ever couple waterings with some nettle tea, kelp , tm-7 & fish hydrolsate or some combination like that and my plants are loving it! I'm going into flower and my comfrey fpe is finished so I'll probably switch out that for the nettle tea.

9. Dixon, looks like a great grow going on. Sure wish I could find all the bulk you found in my area. I would think with all the horses, and agriculture in my area I would strike it rich, but not yet. Anyone, really like what you put together. Similar to what I started, so I very interested in ow your stuff is working. Get us some pics when you get a chance and good luck from now to harvest!

JaK

10. Thank you Dixon.