Organic Cloning?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by V.W., Jun 15, 2010.

1. I see a lot of seed starting mixes but not so much ones for clones? I'm going to be starting my second grow and want to go with a water only with maybe a tea or two too help things along. I thought my first grow was organic till I came here and was blown away with what you organic guru's are doing and love every bit of it. Right now I'm using FFOF and botanicare PBP grow and bloom. For my next go around I have rapid rooters that are all natural but not organic would this still be expectable? I really want to stay away from Rockwool since it never breaks down. And what about a rooting hormone(brand or brew?). I just switched my lights to 12/12 so I wanted to start my soil soon and start some clones to lst for the next round. Also what do you guys think of the areobin 400. I'm not the most handy with tools so I would like to buy something that last. I also read somewhere(I think LD)used an old cement mixer which is pretty badass. Any thoughts or suggestions let me know. Thank-you.

2. Im no pro...and never tried this on pot plants.... but a willow twig "tea" does work to get roots started on some plants. as i said i cant say for sure it will wrk for u. i take a bunch of new shoots of my willow put em in a jaw of water for a week or so.... something in the willow tree causes roots to grow.:wave:

3. I have also read that willow infused water will help stimulate roots.

Aero cloners can root your plants with only RO water. There is no organic amendments, but you can't really say its not orgranic, since you are not using chemical nutes.

Check out Rumples DIY clone bucket, its pretty resonable in price to build. It will also last a while, and it works very well.

4. I use a similar version of Rumple's cloner very effective and then I plant in my soil mix in pots once roots start.

5. I soak my cuttings in a soluble liquid seaweed solution, and put them in Rapid Rooters soaked in the same solution. These go into a heated tray and under a 7" dome.

I mist them every few days with the seaweed solution and have had good success.

This last go around, I experimented a bit by using this same method, but then I dipped the stem of the cutting into some endo micorrhizae granules before placing into the RR's and I'm amazed at how robust the young roots are. The fuzz on the roots coming out of the rooter is the beginning of some serious lateral branching.

I'm thinking the endo is giving them a boost right from the beginning of rooting but I may be wrong. Be sure to zoom in on the pic to see the "fuzz"

Here is a pic after 12 days:

chunk

Attached Files:

6. Same here - just seaweed/kelp extract.

Both of the agents (IAA & INA) used in Dip-N-Grow, Clonex, Olivia's, Vita-Grow, et al. to facilitate root growth and development (2 different things actually) are found naturally in kelp. The important thing about kelp products that they have the acids in balance, i.e. you not only get root growth but more importantly you achieve root development (more root hair sites) - more roots results in less transfer shock and stunted development.

It's certainly cheap enough...................

LD

7. The weeping willow (Salix alba 'Vitellina-Tristis') is high in auxins. auxins are hormones that tells the plant to grow. the auxins that are abundant in the fresh yellow branches of the weeping willow and its bark tell your wonderful cuttings and seedlings to pump up the root growth! chea!

8. What kind of concentration do you use for the seaweed solution? I really like my rooter plugs, and don't want to mess with an aero, but the gel has been the last hurdle in the move to 100% organic.

9. Sam87

Here's a possible solution to the gel issue. The biggest player in rooting products is Dip-N-Grow - Monrovia Nurseries buys it by the 55-gallon barrel.

In response to their wholesale customers they came out with a product that they call DipGel which is carboxymethyl cellulose. This is used in food manufacturing, consumer products (HABA), etc. It is not, however, organic but it may be close enough.

The DipGel product runs $16.00 per lb. and you use between 10-12 grams per gallon of your rooting mixture and after 24 hours it will have the viscosity of Clonex or similar rooting gel products.

Here's would be a typical recipe for 1 pint - once it's mixed you only have a few days as it does not contain the stabilizers found in commercial products like Olivia's or Clones.....................

Seaweed extract/kelp meal tea - use according to the directions for a foliar application and adjust for 1 pint of water.

1/2 tsp. B-1 (the kind found at a nursery/garden center)

1/4 tsp. Dyna-Gro Pro-TeKt (liquid silicon)

3 grams DipGel

Mix according to the directions and refrigerate for 24 hours and apply as you would any other rooting gel.

It's not purist organic but it may be close enough for many folks. It was for me at one point in time.

HTH

LD

10. #10 V.W., Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2010
    Thank-you for all the great replys.

@Ganja Warrior-Thanks for the info.

@chunkdaddyo-Those look like some healthy roots.

@LumperDawgz -Thank-you for your indepth posts and knowledge of organic gardening.

I'm still learning and am a little overwheled with everything that goes into it so I went with General Organics Bio Root. It has a N-P-K 0f 1-1-1 and is derived from alfalfa meal, brewer's yeast, potassiun sulfate, rock phosphate, sea kelp,and soybean meal.

11. I appreciate it man. Sounds close enough for my uses, so I'll have to look into rounding this all up for the next go round. Thanks again.