"Teaming With Microbes" - a summary

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by LumperDawgz, Mar 24, 2010.

1. While looking for some information on protozoa soups (and why one might want to make such a concoction) I came across this blog and it's a damn good summary of the book 'Teaming With Microbes' - link

I posted the link so that folks who might be interested in what's in the book and how the information might be beneficial to them and can peruse this "Reader's Digest" version.

Good read!

LD

2. ....I love my organic teas, I feel like I'm creating the perfect ecosystem for my soil, I imagine a battle field going on in there....I love it! ....and, I'm stone! :smoking:

3. Awesome! I plan to use some of these soups with my next SOG indoor grow!

4. I laugh that you think this is the easy version :) jk. I can't wait to read this book, I have it sitting here but there are some other non growing related that need to be finished first. If the link you posted is cliff notes then watch out...the rarely seen highliter may be broken out for this one! That guy really did a good job even posting page number references.

I'm glad to see you around again. along with so many others. You have jump started this organic section and excited so many growers from beginer to seasoned. I love your links, some may be a bit over my head the first time but always well worth a second read...sometimes 4th and so on.

Your soil recipe is getting a run this year, it seems better every time I digest more of your info. I would really like to talk legal produce with you some day as well. All around your a pretty cool guy who knows alot about alot. Old school stories about the 60's I'm in. Even your lone ranger jokes are hilarious.

Thanks for the info and always looking forward to everything you write

5. There are over 100 times more bacteria cells in your body than human cells.

6. Same here..when they are 'over my head' I just keep re- reading until I get it. I'm reading TWM for the second time right now, and I can honestly say I learned much more from this book than I anticipated.

7. patriofarmer

THAT I can actually help you with - LOL!

I spent over 30 years in the wholesale produce industry in San Diego, Los Angeles, Seattle and finally Portland.

When I arrived at the company in Portland I was hired as a 'senior manager' to help develop working relationships with organic growers & producers in Arizona, Mexico and California. One of my duties was to go down to meet with our producers and take them out on the company credit card and get them jacked-up on alcohol and make sure that everybody was happy and singing out of the same hymn book as the expression goes.

Meaning that I had the opportunity to walk a huge number of commercial organic operations and talk with the production managers and other folks involved in getting their products from the field into our warehouses for distribution to schools, prisons, grocery stores, co-ops, etc.

I'd be more than happy to share with what I know about traffic lanes, logistics, the best crops for a return on your investment, etc.

We grow speciality berries and fresh herbs used by Southeast Asian kitchens in Portland & Seattle. Herbs are basically weeds and the yield is staggering.

We also grow out speciality chili peppers like the infamous Ghost Chili from India as well as some Mexican chilis - specifically the guajillo variety. They're almost impossible to source 'fresh' vs 'dried' so the demand at high-end Mexican restaurants is strong enough to insure quick sales = fast profits.

Let me know if I can be of any help with any of your questions and/or concerns.

Peace

LD

8. Lumperdawgz,

Interesting you say that, as I have some dealings with wholesalers. Have you ever heard of Sid Wainer out of Boston? One of the bigger players from Boston to NYC area. Seems to be a bit of a high pressure business, so many variables. I enjoy the market updates and sourcing where the produce is arriving from week to week especially during summer. I would love to know more about it.

I would like your opinion on Seed companies if you don't mind. I just found a catologue for Park seed co. Do you know anything about them, and/or have other suggestions? They have some really interesting hybrids. There is a honeyberry that has to be tried. I'm looking to expand my horizons in my limited house garden.

Sorry to side track so much but I have always had a keen interest in this. So many questions and I have not even read the book!!!

9. patriofarmer

I was not/am not familiar with Peek Seed Company so I hit their web site and I wanted to thank you for your post mentioning them. Very nice collection of seeds indeed! Wow! I can't thank you enough - they look like a great resource indeed.

As I was looking over their seed offerings (specifically their basil varieties) I noted that they offered this one which I know under a different name - sound familiar? LOL

This is a variety that we grow for a couple of ultra high-end Italian restaurants up in Portland. High dollar/profit.

I have another seed company that you may want to consider for your home garden. They've been around for over 50 years up in Albany, Oregon - Nichols Garden Nursery and they specialize in 'hard to find' strains and their business is mostly heirloom seeds/cuttings. I love these folks! Get their free catalog and look and study the variety of offerings. I think you'll be impressed.

Another good seed source for heirloom/open pollination seeds is Territorial Seed Company over in Cottage Grove, Oregon (where they filmed the parade scene from 'The Animal House'). This company was founded by Steve Solomon in 1979. He sold the company in 1985 and the 'new owners' have kept his vision intact. Very good folks, IMHO - Steve Solomon has authored any number of books on growing organically and is pretty much a legend in this field. Look for his articles on minerals at 'Mother Earth News' - some of the best information that I could recommend.

Again I sincerely appreciate your mentioning Peek Seed Company and I've ordered up a catalog and plan to make several purchases from their herb product lines.

Peace!!

LD

10. patriofarmer

Yep - they're a big player in the 'speciality market' - high dollar/profit commodities. We used to ship 'champagne raspberries' to them when I was working in Seattle. Probably the most perishable commodity you can deal with - air freight is the only way to insure quality at delivery.

If you really want an understanding of the wholesale produce industry then you should look at joining the PMA (Produce Marketing Association) which pretty much controls the entire produce industry in the US. They work under the guidelines of a federal law dating back to the 1930's known as P.A.C.A (Perishable Agriculture Commodities Act) which falls under the U.S.D.A and is the final authority on all transactions. Long story that would probably bore you to death but they're 'the deal' in this industry. Big time.

If you can get hooked up with a company with the reputation and customer base like Sid Wainer then you're dancing! Big time!

Let me know if I can be of any help!

LD

11. #11 _Numb_, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2010
    well not that I ever introduced myself to you LD...but have always enjoyed you posts on the boards. I love that book, always have it somewhere handy. Always nice to meet and or see local people on the forums.

Funny thing is Im also landscaper(who practices organic lawn care), and I talk with folks about organic lawn care on a few forums. But they seem to be a step behind MJ growers in that field. I dont openly speak about growing MJ on the forum due to business name linked to account, but I swear sometimes I just feel like telling them to check out a MJ forum if they want a crash course in organics by people who have been using it. I mean one guy swears his Compost Tea lasts 2wks sitting on the shelf, I dont know but if I left mine sitting around for that I wouldnt want to put on my yard or plants.

But either way glad to see your posting again,
    Numb

12. I got the book two years ago and its awsome:hello: LD Im growing peppers this year for the first time they are germing now. Any tips would be great.Thanks

13. mania

If you're up for some companion planting, for nightshade plants (tomatoes, peppers & potatoes, etc.) some organic farmers will plant members of the Allium family like onions, chives, garlic, shallots, et al. as a deterrent against slugs and aphids. It works for me and many others.

HTH

LD

14. Would this be only for planting alongside nightshade plants? Would this be suitable for protecting greens such as lettuce and spinach from slugs. Seems I only grow lettuce to feed slugs lately.

15. Sorry for the misinformation - the Allium plants will provide the same type of protection with lettuce and spinach.

On another note because I wasn't fully awake this morning when I answered Mania's post - but chili peppers themselves are used as a companion plant for the exudes they create which prevent many root issues as it relates to rotting and such.

Plus chili peppers are some of the most beautiful plants you can grow in a garden and the yield is really amazing. Almost up their with summer squash (all varieties).

HTH

LD

• Creative Creative x 1
  16. are peppets heavy feeders would a MJ mix work

17. Thanks for the link!

This is the second recc for this book I've seen, the first being from Madodah on another forum and I've finally ordered it.

Had to wait till the budget allowed and found a used copy on ebay for $7 shipped, so I jumped on it.

Been growing 'stuff' for 40 years or so, but a newb as far as organics and I've pretty much been stumbling around in the dark, but getting there.

Can't wait till the book arrives.

Wet

18. Welcome to the forum.

I can say it did somewhat change my approach to growing but all of a sudden knowing what was actually transpiring in my grow medium and plants was the real revelation.

Without reading TWM my comprehension of the weath of organic growing knowledge being made available in this forum would have been severely limited. I'd consider reading it a must for any serious grower, organic or otherwise.

19. By the time you finish page 6 or so, you'll probably never consider using a commercial potting soil mix in the future.

LD

20. LOL Never used one in the past either.;)

Been making my own mix since 1972 or so. Of course back then I was using Peters for nutes. Had a small fern and orchid business to support my hobby.

For the ferns, it was basically a peat moss, perlite and bark mix. Very easy to leave off the bark, add some amendments and WC for LC's #1 mix.

No WC here, so I had to grow my own. Now have 2 bins and 2 buckets (a 'batch' experiment).

Wet