Organic Tea - AACT versus ACT

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Possuum, Feb 23, 2010.

1. I've read and re-read the great post on the “post your organic tea recipe” thread. It really got my noodle working and some neurons firing. However, about half-way through the thread I got somewhat confused so I appeal to the community for some clarification.

There appear to be two topics to discuss when discussing teas: Aerated Compost Tea (ACT) and, Aerated Aerobic Compost Tea (AACT).

By definition (and practice?) aren't these two different formulations serving two distinctly different needs, i.e. an ACT is primarily brewed for its nutritional benefits (micro and macro) and secondary concern being for promoting beneficial bacteria growth and, an AACT is primarily brewed for its beneficial bacteria grow with little or no concern for nutritional benefit.

I interpret that an AACT is only necessary once, arguable twice, during the entire plant life-cycle (perhaps first at transition from seedling to plant and, second at start of flower) whereas an ACT should be formulated specific to each growth stage (seedling, veg, flower) and applied at each different stage. (There seems to be some real subjetive opinion on dosage strength and frequency with ACT)

Am I off the road and into the weeds here by misinterpreting what appears to me to be two different teas for two different purposes?

Thanks GC wizards! :confused_2:

2. ACT/AACT fit into the same class. Once you introduce DO (dissolved oxygen), your tea becomes aerobic. I've always used the acronym AACT as "actively aerated compost tea".

IMO opinion, ACT/AACT are one in the same. If you brew a tea by steeping, without adding air/DO, you will have a mild to medium fertilizer that can be used as a drench.

You can even mix a tea that is more of a slurry to really get the EWC into the soil. EWC is loaded with beneficial bacteria as it is, so there is a biological component without adding the DO. It just multiplies the beneficials exponentially when you introduce DO/aeration.

Bacterial teas are better served in the veg stage for releasing nitrogen, while teas with higher fungal counts are good for phosphorus(P) uptake, so use those in the flowering stage. A simple EWC tea with a small amount of humic/fulvic acid, kelp and molasses for veg, and the same mix with some fish hydrolysate will boost the fungi, and really help during the bllom phase.

There are other components that boost fungi in teas such as mushroom compost and even oatmeal/oat flour. Dampen some oat flour and let it sit out for a few days and add to your tea mix and the fungi will flourish. The more diverse the ingredients in your tea, the more different microbes get fed.

Glad you're so enthused with the organics possum.......keep the studies going bro,

take care,

chunk

3. AACT's seem to be a bit more proven IMO. This is the method that Dr. Ingram one of the fore most experts on this topic recommends. Also there have been some sap testings done w/ the AACT's that confimred that they do increase nutrient uptake considerably. I have not seen the same with ACT so I can't say for sure one way or another. I can tell you for sure that the AACT's work very well though.

4. Thanks folks. I'm a real fan of organic cultivation. Being of the minimalist mindset that I am I attempt to do more with less and optimize wherever possible. I feel organic cultivation fits nicely with this mindset.

I think I may have confused myself, which is not unusual, by thinking-it-out too much. I do that sometimes. Resulting from further study it turns out my initial ACT vs. AACT thoughts actually turn out to be those of compost extract vs. compost tea. i.e. ACT/AACT (teas) both create microbial activity whereas a compost extract does not consider microbial activity as an end result of the effort. Compost extract focuses on nutrient extraction and not microbial activity. Did I get that right?

No doubt I'm sold on both methods; extract and tea. I'd really prefer to create all of my own nutrients solution through extract processes opposed to purchasing same but I think I'd go down a very slippery and potentially crop-damaging slope if I do. There doesn't seem to be a uniform and easily understood standard for the hobby grower to measuring extraction strength (N-P-K and micro nutes) and thus one wouldn't know how much to apply (a tsp or a tbsp per gallon for instance). Whereas a quality organic liquid nutrients blend that is purchased and ready for application kinda sorta takes the guess work out of application rates.

I think I've got it now on the ACT/AACT. Now I've just got to figure out how best to use the ACTs along with an extract process for optimal results and without crop damage. No doubt that continued studying the posts in the forums and the references provided will facilitate that.

Thanks for indulging my thoughts and for sharing yours. You folks rock! This community is just the best I've ever found! A healthy and fruitful grow to all! May all of your fruit cups runneth over.

Peace.

:gc_rocks:

5. On a side note - tests have found that teas extract a relatively small amount of nutrients from the solution. They are really more for stimulating the soil biology than to be used as a fertilizer. You will get better uptake if you take those same ingredients that you wanted to infuse into the tea and use them as a top dressing, THEN apply the tea. Since not much nutrients get extract in the brewing process this is a more effective use of your fertilizer IMO. So for example, rather than making a bat guano tea, top dress with the bat guano, then apply some AACT.

6. Perfect. Thanks Chunk and Blaze!

7. Thank you - hammer meets nail.

LD