Evaluating N-P-K Numbers with Organic Fertilizers

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by LumperDawgz, Feb 11, 2009.

1. While the whole "N-P-K" deal is a hot issue with organic growers, it's also true that the whole myth persists.

So here's an article that can explain why "N-P-K" numbers in the organic paradigm may not mean what you think that they do - Is “0-20-0” phosphate bat guano 3 times better than “0-7-0” bat guano?

Re-read the labels on your fertilizers and make your decisions accordingly.

RE:ABG = Archipelago Bat Guano

LumperDawgz

2. Great post! +rep!

3. Something good to know about ABG and it's #s on packaging for sure.

Keep up the great work buddy.;)

4. It's true on all organic fertilizers. The game is in the numbers and the mindset of a typical consumer, i.e. Canadian Butt-Hairs 0-30-0 just has to be better than Canadian Quebec Butt-Hairs 0-10-0

5. Sounds like the theres quite a bit more than a RCH dif. between Organic ferts with the same 3s.

So how are us consumers to KNOW which ones are the workhorses and which are not?

Or is the moral of this story that its all in the real ingredients and the #s mean nothing?

6. Exactly!

Alfalfa meal is a case in point. It's NPK is 2.8-.3-2.4 which looks pretty anemic until one looks up the other ingredients in alfalfa (same stuff in SuperThrive) and how much alfalfa feeds the bacteria in the soil's compost, etc. and how well it delivers, quickly, a rich source of nitrogen.

Cheap too.

7. OK, so whats the scoop on ST?

Is there any replacement and or is it not something i should be using?

I use 1ml/cc per gal of everything i use in veg. only,should i change something?:confused:

8. I'm sorry - I don't know the term 'ST' which I assume from your question is a type of additive perhaps?

LD

9. Superthrive

10. ocitorn

Well - there's definitely a mine-field that I'll avoid. I've heard and read equally the benefits as well as the reasons not to use it.

Here's what the proponents argue 'for' using SuperThrive: this product contains Triacontanol and some B-1 and the rest is up to speculation.

Alfalfa meal contains Triacontanol and you know what you're getting. Alfalfa meal is added to soil for its rich source of nitrogen and it's ability to feed and sustain the micro-herd in the soil. Triacontanol is an added bonus.

Alfalfa meal tea is also popular as a way to get instant nitrogen to your plants as a foliar feed and it also helps to minimize heat stress in the summer months.

So if you're using SuperThrive and you feel that it's helpful then there as many reasons to use it with your own experience being the best gauge for your growing situation and environment.

If you want the most active agent in SuperThrive, i.e. Triacontanol, then perhaps alfalfa meal will be more to your liking.

BTW - you can use rabbit pellets as a source of alfalfa meal and for making a tea. Just remember that they use molasses to bind the little pellets so take that additional sugar input in your feeding calculations.

HTH

LD

11. I am wondering about the low numbers on pure blend pro and Bio Bizz. The numbers are low compared to say batguano and such.

Are they better. In your opinion, anyone, are nutes like bio bizz better than just making teas. Say a person already had both on hand what would be the best choice to use?

:smoke:

12. Get a copy of "Teaming With Microbes" and read the chapter on aerated compost teas.

In the world of organic growing, NPK numbers are bogus and pretty much stupid - at best.

Seriously.

LD

13. Here is another thread that should always be at the top. Great info to live by.

14. A bunch of people say that triacontanol is in Superthrive, but I have yet to see actual evidence. Vitamin Institute won't confirm or deny it. I can understand why people think it's in Superthrive but haven't seen anyone confirm it yet

15. Vitamin Institute also won't admit that they add 1-naphthaleneacetic acid (NAA) to this gunk/junk. This is a registered pesticide with EPA and by not declaring it on the label it resulted in being banned in Oregon and other states as well as the several countries around the world.

This action is what led to the widespread investigation by ODA into the grow store industry in general which has led to this list of banned 'nutes' and associated mythology.

LD

16. woah! That's quite a list.

17. Yeah - it really brings a tear to my eye and sh*t.

I have the ODA regulations downloaded on my iPhone and iPad in PDF form. A few months back I was purchasing some HPS bulbs and 2 of the investigators were in this store wrecking havoc and forcing the kids running the store to remove this or that product.

Being the good citizen that I am I opened the regulations and pointed out 2 products from Home & Garden that were in violation, 3 products from Botanicare (Sun Light Mfg, Hydro-Farms, et al), and 1 from Advanced Nutrients.

I was humming 'Battlefield of the Republic' as I exited the store and after thanking the ODA staff for doing their job!

LMAO

LD

18. So how do you know that they're adding NAA?

I'm doing an experiment testing powdered triacontanol dissolved in polysorbate 20 as a foliar or root zone or foliar & root zone compared to an alfalfa pellet mix, compared to the yellow bottle bloom.

The blog is on my grasscity account, just started some tomatoes to use for the experiment. going to see which plant is the strongest, then clone that plant to use for the experiment so I'm working with the same DNA

I'd like to find a way to isolate the triacontanol from superthrive to prove it...

19. a
    Because that's what got this crap banned in the first place?

You can add NAA to anything that you want if it's being sold for ornamental plants like the consumer-grade rooting products at grow stores as long as it's listed on the label. Vitamin Institute refused to do that which resulted in the action taken.

If you want to play 'fertilizer investigator' you'll need to find a new playmate. It's obvious that you don't know diddly-squat about registration and compliance mandated for 'nute' manufacturers.

If California and Oregon won't allow the term 'fulvic acid' on a product do you think that this product had a chance of surviving a finding? You think that regulatory agencies take a company's word on what a product does or does not contain?

Seriously?

LD