AUDIO RAP BATTLE ToURNAMENT #1

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by JDilla, May 9, 2011.

1. #1 JDilla, May 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2011
    DO NOT SIGN UP UNLESS YOU'VE READ ALL THE RULES AND ARE AN ACTIVE GC MEMBER (YOU NEED TO CHECK ON THIS THREAD AT LEAST ONCE A DAY TO KEEP UP WITH THE TOURNEY ONCE IT STARTS)
    if you want in, say so. looking for 16 contestants only

RULES FOR THE TOURNAMENT WILL BE AS FOLLOWS!

From the time each round starts - contestants have 24 hours to check-in (just find the thread made specifically for your battle, and post "CHECK!" in it. you will also need to post a beat of your choice. The two beats posted will be put into a randomizor and the beat chosen will be the one used by both battlers)
    As soon as both people are checked in - you have 24 hours to write and record your verses (16 lines).
    Once both verses are recorded and posted in the designated thread, i'll let voting go for 24 hours. so each round will take a maximum of 3 days. i know it's not ideal cause people wanna flow but it works out smoother this way

VERSES CAN BE RECORDED VIA condenser/dynamic mic, digital camera, iPod Touch / iPhone / newer cellphone microphone, Rockband USB microphone, webcam video. Anything will do!

When writing your verses consider the following:
    NO FEEDING/FLIPPING
    NO RECYCLING
    NO SWAYING
    NO BITING

definitions can be found below. all will result in automatic DQ. and i aint talkin bout Dairy Queen

Feeding / Flipping

Feeding is using part(s) of your opponent's verse in your verse against them. Flipping is using part(s) of your opponent's verse and "spinning" off of it. Anything that resembles the above two is included and is not allowed. Will result in a DQ if opponent wishes.

Example:
    if i had this in my verse:
    "i'm like a bike with no bars - can't handle this!
    steady bringin that fire like candle wicks!"

my opponent couldn't respond with this in his verse:
    yeah you're like a bike with no bars! YOU GOT NO BARS!
    i'm fly like birdies and you aint SHOT NO PARS!

Recycling

Recycling is reusing your own past lyrics/concepts in newer material.

Swaying

Persuading voters or would be voters that a verse is better than and/or deserving the votes in comparison to the opposition. Swaying can also be done by talking down on a verse or pointing out its flaws.

Examples of swaying:

"I keyed my verse in like 15 minutes but it took him HOURS to make his." (This doesn't matter. As long as it's in before the deadline the time used to make the verse is irrelevant)

Biting

Biting is using other people's lyrics and passing them off as your own.

VOTING:
    Voting will be explained in the original post of all battle threads. Everyone's votes will be counted as long as they follow the voting protocol.

LINKS TO ALL BATTLES WILL BE POSTED IN THIS THREAD AS WELL AS UPDATES ON THE STATUS OF EACH BATTLE

(thanks to UpFromTheSkies for the premium tournament lay-out)

2. IN, and i'll be helpin J run this one too much as i can

3. How exactly can we record ourselves over a beat? I heard of this program called Audacity my boy uses, what do you guys use?

I don't have the best mic. I'll do a test in a few minutes and see if I'll want to sign up or not.

4. as long as the qualities good enough to get the feel of the beat and understand the emcee followin along with his lyrics, i feel like audio quality probably shouldnt be a big factor in voting.. but we'll see how many people sign up

5. Yeah my mic is a gaming mic I use for my PS3.. its actually clearer then I thought so I'm gunna say count me in.

We get to choose our own beats right?

6. I actually use Audacity haha, it's real simple. If you don't want to use software, you can just get a beat off youtube and use a digital camera or iPod touch / iPhone / newer cellphone microphone to record your verse. A webcam video would work, too.

7. Once people are matched up and go to check in, they will need to post up a beat. The 2 beats will be put into a randomizor and the one chosen will be the one used.

8. Sign me up

9. sony Acid is good. especially if u know what ur doing for compression/eq

10. I'm down as fuck, I'll be using my iPhone mic though considering my blue ribbon is fucked up.

11. count me in im down for this

12. sign me up but i dont have a mic, i have a alright webcam.

13. you're in. anything is good as long as we can hear you clearly over the beat.

14. the list so far is;

sparkin
    Cberry
    upfromtheskies
    JDilla
    kannabiskid
    HippoPotamus420
    SwitchOne
    The GZA

half way there...

15. good shit, didnt expect to get that many that quick

16. Even if it stays at 8, that's not bad, it's a small bracket...but a bracket at that

17. Would you guys rather keep it at 8? Or wait an extra couple days and see if we get some other joiners?

18. yeah lets let it go for another day or two, i figured out the bracket randomizer i use can make an even match system out of any number so if we gotta stop at 12 or some shit itd still work

19. lets do it man, imma be reall busy with finals but i think ill be able to put together a few bars for this tourny as well as skies'

- or we can let it chill.. whatever the people want mayn