RAP BATTLE ToURNAMENT!

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Fresh Error, Jan 21, 2011.

1. if you want in, say so. looking for 16 contestants, and if we get more than 16 sign-ups, i'll host a preliminary round to narrow it down to 16.

RULES FOR THE TOURNAMENT WILL BE AS FOLLOWS!

From the time each round starts - contestants have 24 hours to check-in (just find the thread made specifically for your battle, and post "CHECK!" in it
    As soon as both people are checked in - you have 24 hours to drop your verses (16 lines).
    Once both verses are dropped, i'll let voting go for 24 hours. so each round will take a maximum of 3 days. i know it's not ideal cause people wanna flow but it works out smoother this way

When writing your verses consider the following:
    NO FEEDING/FLIPPING
    NO RECYCLING
    NO SWAYING
    NO BITING

definitions can be found below. all will result in automatic DQ. and i aint talkin bout Dairy Queen [​IMG]

Feeding / Flipping

Feeding is using part(s) of your opponent's verse in your verse against them. Flipping is using part(s) of your opponent's verse and "spinning" off of it. Anything that resembles the above two is included and is not allowed. Will result in a DQ if opponent wishes.

Example:
    if i had this in my verse:
    "i'm like a bike with no bars - can't handle this!
    steady bringin that fire like candle wicks!
    "

my opponent couldn't respond with this in his verse:
    yeah you're like a bike with no bars! YOU GOT NO BARS!
    i'm fly like birdies and you aint SHOT NO PARS!

Recycling

Recycling is reusing your own past lyrics/concepts in newer material.

Swaying

Persuading voters or would be voters that a verse is better than and/or deserving the votes in comparison to the opposition. Swaying can also be done by talking down on a verse or pointing out its flaws.

Examples of swaying:

"I keyed my verse in like 15 minutes but it took him HOURS to make his." (This doesn't matter. As long as it's in before the deadline the time used to make the verse is irrelevant)

Biting

Biting is using other people's lyrics and passing them off as your own.

VOTING:
    Voting will be explained in the original post of all battle threads. Everyone's votes will be counted as long as they follow the voting protocol.

LINKS TO ALL BATTLES WILL BE POSTED IN THIS THREAD AS WELL AS UPDATES ON THE STATUS OF EACH BATTLE

2. Im down!

this sounds pretty siick. :smoke:

3. alright well just so you know.. and for all others who wanna sign up.. dont sign up if you're not gonna be around at least once a day-ish to check whats goin on.

it's pretty wack when people no-show and shit..

anyway, after we get a few more sign-ups i'll start a list of contestants.

4. Hold off on me for now, I think the idea in general is bad ass (kinda what I meant).

5. throw me on the list

6. im in, but why is it a no flipping/one round per mc battle. kinda weak most battles are 2 or 3 rounds....

and flipping is part of battling, but i guess i can see why its somewhat lame if they dont have a chance to reply. so these raps are prob gonna end up hella generic,

as for swaying... its just dissing them. also dont understand why its not allowed. if i wanna call him out for being bad at something its gonna get me dq??

7. the whole flipping thing in this generally turns into people that suck at writing just reuse all of the other persons bars and act clever about it. I know what you mean, if you use it in like one bar and really make it your own you won't get called out for it. It's more of a means of making people come up with their own ideas.

the swaying thing you can use in your rhymes, but what I believe he means (correct me if I'm wrong) is when people just spam their battle thread saying, "HOW CAN YOU VOTE FOR HIS, HIS SUCKS, BLAH BLAH BLAH" and it turns into a spam war, which is gay. happened last tournament when some kid was being a sore loser because he thought he was king shit.

that make sense?

8. im down for this

9. its all just to make things as fair as possible for an online text battle.
    in a real battle it takes skill to flip cause verses take place back to back with only like a minute to think of ways to flip. in a text battle you have enough time to spend on a verse that i'm makin people rely entirely on their own creativity to win.

as for multiple rounds.. these tourneys already take 2+ weeks as is.. people would lose interest with multiple rounds. this also plays back into the whole flipping thing. if there were 2 rounds per match-up, id probably allow flipping because i could have each battler take a turn going first. with one round though.. only one person even has an opportunity to flip which automatically gives the person who goes second a huge advantage

10. Throw me on the list..
    You already know, I can't wait to actually put some real effort into a verse.

11. Sign me up please!

12. yep makes sense thanks for explaining.

13. whos goin first?

14. nobody really. once we get 16 contestants i'll wait 24ish hours before starting the first round in case more people want a shot at the tourney. if we get more than 16 there'll be a prelim round to cut it down to 16.

i make all the battle threads for each round at the same time.. so once the real tourney kicks off with 16 people, i'll drop 8 first-round threads at once.. one for each match-up. then i'll post the links in here and you can find your battle and follow the rules stated in the OP of this thread by checking in in your thread.. and then whichever of the two battlers wants to throw down first is welcome to.

IF YOU"RE GONNA PARTICIPATE IN THIS DON"T HALF-ASS READING THE RULES!

15. haha i was thinking shit ima have a hard time finding these threads but you come and save the day

16. ^ haha word i like to run these things with tight organization

so far we got 9 people. im hopin Smoke and joel can get in on this.. ima PM em later

PARTICIPANTS SO FAR:
    1. S for Shoota *maybe*
    2. cberry8
    3. Dreadlocker
    4. BadTripDan
    5. BansaiGanjaMan
    6. PuffPuffHOLD
    7. Visa Accepted
    8. Kronologick
    9. UpFromTheSkies

17. Yeaaaa Boooiiii!!!..... hopefully i can cook something up proper for this tourney.... but count me in and whenit starts im try and make sure i check atleast once a day! but im dowwwn!!

18. ^word son

we need least 6 more to start