Music Software for a Mac

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by KingWi11, Jul 6, 2008.

1. So i need music software for my Mac Book because Garage Band left me with an urge to become more versatile forming songs and shore GB is good for making CDs/ Albums, but i need something that will let me compose music the way i want to: mess with tempos, breaking down beats, distortion, midi sequencing (obviously) , elongating loops/clips, even a basic drum machine would be nice.

The programs that I've been looking at:

If anyone has experience with these products please tell me. (especially if you are a Mac user)

THANKS!

2. I used (and still have) Reason on my macbook but it was too hard for me to learn so i downloaded parallels and i run fl studio now. It works flawlessly, i recommend doin that.

3. Reasons for midi beat making and quantizing, you can't import music into it.
    Fruity Loops is similar although PC based.

If your looking for something easy Acid Pro would work, but you are prob not going to get a whole lot of sounds or versatility.

But for the most bang out your buck check out "Logic 8 Express" you can record, mix, comes with its own "Logic Library" with drums sounds, syths, horns, u name it. And if you open a bus track and use the EXS24 sampler there's about 400+ sounds from Legacy Instruments. And i'd say its the easiest to learn because a lot of people into Mac audio mixing are very familiar with this program.

4. logic is probably the best thing for a mac

though I am a huge fan of ableton

5. If you're using a mac, there is nothing that really matches up to Logic PRO 8.

It's only $500, and comes with much much MUCH more than even Logic Pro 7. (Which costed $999!)

Personally I'm using Ableton Live 7 as my Rewire Host, with Reason 4 running under rewire. I have Sonar 7, FL8, and some other DAWs, but Ableton seems to work the best for me as of late.

Within the next month I'm picking up a Macbook though, and Logic Pro 8 will be my DAW of choice, hands down.

Edit: As far as drum machines go, I'm a fan of Battery 3. Redrum (In reason) worked well for me also, I've toyed around with Guru also, but never got into it.

6. ^ How much is battery 3?

7. QFT. I use Logic 8 on a Mac Pro for recording tracks from home.

8. Thanks for all the ideas. i decided to put windows xp on my mac and use fruity loops 8. i hope this works better than garage band...

9. I've actually found FL8 to be my favorite.

10. Eh, I really don't understand why someone would go and install Windows under boot camp just for FL8, it's really nothing special. Personally I'd still recommend Logic, there's nothing that comes close to it. And it comes with so many samples and instruments.

I could understand if you were already used to FL8, but oh well.

I'm not a Fruity Loops hater, but it just doesn't do the trick for me. If you don't have a keyboard or MIDI controller it's definitely easier to use than any other DAW, the Piano Roll on it is leaps and bounds beyond the other software.

But if you have a mac already, and haven't used fl studio yet, I'd recommend skipping it altogether.

11. No two ways about it, if you are serious about making music, Pro Tools is the way to go. It is the professional choice, got huge expandability and cross platform compatibility for when working on projects with others who might use PC.

Not to mention it is the de-facto industry standard. Especially usefull if you want to get an actual audio-engineer/producer to master your projects before publication.

12. eh, i wanted to get fruity loops because i have is just a cheep ass mp3mixer, also since since i have no disposable income i found FL7 to had the easiest torrent and crack.