The "Official" Jazz Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by burnttwaffle, Jun 5, 2008.

1. i just thought some of the greatest music ever written deserved a place in grass city history as the "official jazz appreciation thread"

i just wanted to share my love for jazz and let you share yours,

i just finished highschool going to a magnet school for the performing arts, and all we play is jazz, that is really where began my true passion for playing jazz

so i guess lets all just share some awesome jazz, who we like what songs, if we play it and and all that good stuff

my most recent jazz concert was when i went to NYC for memorial day, i went to the jazz standard( i usually don't go to places wit cover charges that much but w.e) anyways, it was an awsome show i saw i cant remeber quite but im pretty sure it was the ignacio sumthing quartet?

if any1 knows em or can tell me who i saw it would be much appreciated
    (if its any help its the drummers name, a piano last name sum thin Rodriguez? bass also Rodriguez i think and a sax player)

and dear lord the piano player was absolutely phenomenal

2. I'm a jazz musician (saxophone) so I definitely have mad rep for the music.

You gotta love the classics like bird trane miles wayne etc, but modern jazz IS the life of the music. I reccomend going to the Stone, Small's Jazz Club or the 55 Bar if you ever want to see what's REALLY happening in jazz right now. Ari Hoenig, Wayne Krantz, Chris Cheek, Miles Okazaki, Bill Frisell, Avishai Cohen, and Ben Monder are some good modern guys to check out.

3. what sax you play? im a trombone/bass man myself however lately iv been gettin into piano quite a bit.

55th bar im guess 55th street and? 7th?

if so i usally stay 56th and 7th when i go so thatd be pretty cool, ill have to look into the artists you listed i dont know of

can any1 help me figure out who i saw the saturday b4 memorial day?

ignacio cortez or sumthing ?????????????:confused::confused::mad: i wanna know:p

4. i respect jazz a lot but to be honest I don't like listening to the majority of it...my two roommates are jazz players and we jam a lot but I personally prefer straight up funk...i don't know why...it's weird though cuz sometimes I'll be in the mood for only jazz...usually on a Sunday morning when its sunny out (don't ask why....that's just how it is ha)

Some jazz I do like includes Bela Fleck, Miles Davis, Coltrane, Thelonious Monk and my personal favorite if it was to be put in the category of jazz - Herbie Hancock (if it seems a little mainstream and you're thinking I just haven't heard a lot of jazz, rest assured that 99% of the jazz I listen to is stuff from my roommates and I couldn't even begin to name all the artists I've heard from them...I never really bother to ask what they're playing)

edit: however I have been to the Blue Note (West 3rd street...right near McDougal) on a few occasions and really enjoyed what I saw...so maybe live jazz I can say I really enjoy (one of the times was Bela Fleck though)

5. I play a bunch of them, but focus on Tenor.

Actually, the 55 bar is located at 55 Christopher St. (In the West Village)

The Jazz standard has a website and might list their past shows....that's my only thought on finding out for sure.

Miguel Zenon maybe?

6. I like Jazz, i never truly apreciated until I started playing music myself. Favorites would have to be John Scofield, wes montgomery and of course miles Davis.:)

7. Just getting into jazz recently. Got a bunch of albums, the likes of Charles Mingus, Ray Charles, John Coltrane, Theolonious Monk, Monty Alexander, Miles Davis, Nina Simone.

Anyone recommend me some? What are the 'must have' / 'classic' / 'ultimate' albums or recordings?

8. I swear, that has to be the lamest opening thread ever for a self titled "official" thread.

"I saw a jazz show but I don't remember who it was. Was it Ignacio?" I'm sure Ignacio it thrilled that you saw his show.

How about having some respect for the jazz fans here who might be more intellectual than your usual stoner losers and edit your post for spelling, punctuation, grammar, and capitalization BEFORE you post?

/rant

I pretty much stick to Miles Davis and co. That'll take you a long way.

9. So no one listens to modern jazz? Most of the artists listed here (other than Sco) were in their peaks around the 50s and 60s. A LOT has been happening in the music since then. Fusion of classical, world, electronica, and hip-hop for one.

Check out guys like Michael Brecker, Brad Meldhau, Bill Frisell, Paul Motian, Chris Potter, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Wayne Krantz, Medeski Martin & Wood, Boomish, Orrin Evans, Keith Carlock, Seamus Blake, Roy Hargrove, Dave Douglas, Dan Weiss, Avishai Cohen, etc.

Keep the music alive. Revisitation gets old.

Classic Recordings:

Miles Davis:

Kind of Blue, Birth of the Cool, ESP, Sketches of Spain, Bitches Brew, in a Silent Way, Live Evil, etc

John Coltrane:

Soultrane, Blue Trane, Giant Steps, Crescent, A Love Supreme, Ascention, Meditations, Interstellar Space

Charles Mingus:

Mingus ah Hum, Saint and Sinner Lady

Art Blakey:

Moanin'

Wayne Shorter:

Speak No Evil, Ju Ju

Tony Williams:

Ego, Tony Williams' Lifetime

Mahavishnu Orchestra:

Inner Mounting Flame

Herbie Hancock:

Maiden Voyage, Empyrean Isles, Headhunters, Thrust

I could go on and on

10. I only recently got into jazz, Ive been listening mostly to coltrane, and miles davis, but my favorite song so far would have to be "My Foolish Heart" by Bill Evans

please do! my jazz playlist just got bigger with your last post :)

11. the weather report.

12. fixed

13. Also add the live album "Flood" to that Herbie list...shit's so funky

14. Weather Report:

Heavy Weather, Black Market, 8:30

Dexter Gordon:

Go, A Swingin Affair, Our Man in Paris

Duke Ellington:

Money Jungle, Duke Ellington and John Coltrane

Sonny Rollins:

Saxophone Collosus, Sonny Meets Hawk, The Bridge

Eric Dolphy:

Out To Lunch, Out There, Outward Bound, At the 5 Spot

Jaco Pastorius:

Jaco Pastorius, Invitation

Ornette Coleman:

Shape of Jazz to Come, Free Jazz, Change of the Century

Dave Brubeck

Time Out

Bill Evans

Sunday at the Village Vanguard, Waltz for Debby, Explorations

This is all mostly older stuff. If anyone wants an idea of some good modern albums to check out, let me know.

15. Kind Of Blue is an epic album.

16. Any of you jazz fans hear of the band "The Bad Plus"? They're really fucking cool and have some great covers of nirvana and the pixies. they're lick rocky jazz kinda

17. Eh, not really a fan of them. Some of their covers are nice, but I'm really not into them. They're good musicians, but I would rather listen to Nirvana or the Pixies.

18. Check out Return To Forever, they are on tour right now I hear, they are one of the best combos ever. Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke, Al Di Meola and Lenny White. Bad!

19. Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy is my favorite fusion cd...Return to Forever was on POINT for that record. It's Bill Connors on guitar, but he has his own style. Apparently Chick through-composed the majority of that album...very very VERY rehearsed.

20. here are some of my favorite jazz songs

Freddie Hubbard - sky dive, arietis, red clay, heres that rainy day,

Les McCann - all of it

Ahmad Jamal - all of it

Bill Evans - all of it

Dave Brubeck - stardust

Wes Montgomery - west coast blues

many more