Quick Low Wattage CFL Stealth Grow. +Updated With PICS

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by JefeGrande, Apr 21, 2011.

1. #1 JefeGrande, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2011
    Thinking about doing a very stealthy short grow. Obviously yield will be lowered but time is short. Running right around 130W for lights and a quality bagseed. I have seen some micro growers start flowering after 30 days. Planning on using LST to spread the bush out and keep it in a rubbermaid vented with fans and carbon filtration.

I plan on vegging for 40 days at 24/0, then 24 hours of dark, then 12/12 till cloudy trichs.

Any thoughts? Obviously if after 40 days the plant isn't ready to flower yet I will wait but I am thinking that is my ideal grow period.

Money is tight so I am trying to limit purchases of nutes. Does anybody have any recommendations of one or two nutes to use that are available fairly readily?

Thanks for the help. I'm excited to grow some herb and learn a lot in the process!

2. I know this will start a flame war, but use Miracle Gro Premium, and only water ONCE a week. That takes care of all nutes until flower. Don't believe me? Look at my grow in my sig. Sounds like you got the right idea, I've only been using four 26 watt 6500k cfl's, and my plants are doing fine, though I am building a box and adding six 42 6500k to them this weekend.

I'll help you all I can man. Subbed.

3. Thanks man. Im stoked. Just got back from the hardware store and I'm putting my box together.
    Found some good deals on lights, this is what I am going to run to veg:
    1 42W 2700 lumens
    2 26W 1750 lumens
    I couldn't find any 6500 lights that werent ungodly expensive... Will These work ok?
    Will this be good for a seedling and veg? Once I start LST I will throw another 26W in there.

Soil is some generic potting soil with peat, perlite, and some nutrients. Everything else they had was miracle grow with added nutes and I am a little skeptical since its my first grow.
    I'll get some pics up this evening when its all done and going...

Another Q. How much do you water the germinated seed once it is in the soil? I just moistened the soil enough to get the top couple inches of soil moist then poked holes in the bottom of the cup for drainage. Any seedling tips?

Thanks all

4. Alright! Finished up the box this afternoon!!

Pics are from my droid so they are little blurry but they should be good.
    Heres my seedling before the transplant to soil...
    [​IMG]
    Heres the closet that it all will go down in.
    [​IMG]
    Inside the closet. Got that fan from walmart for 6 bucks and it mounted perfectly to the rubbermaid.
    [​IMG]
    Inside the box. I ended up putting another 26W in so I am at 1 42W and 3 26W so I have 120W for the plants. The cup is about 3-4 inches away from the lights.
    [​IMG]
    Heres the temp. Its hot in there without the fan, but with it it sits right around 80. good?
    [​IMG]
    The humidity is reeallly low. Right around 25. Should this be higher? What are some ways of fixing that?

Thanks Guys!
    Cost of everything so far is about 40 bucks except for the rubbermaid, the foil emergency blanket for the sides, and the cups. Not too bad I would say.

5. #5 The beginner, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2011
  6. Nice dude. I think I am going to go buy another one of those fans and take it apart and turn it into an outake scrubber. Once I get some more $$$ of course.

How long did it take for your seedling to get that size under your 18W?

7. actually she is under two 18W lights
    but she she popped out of the soil sometime at night on 420. and when i checked her the next day around 4. she was already that tall.. she shot up fast.
    right now the second set of true leaves is starting to come in! cant wait till she gets bigger

8. If this is a stealth grow, how do you plan to dry the bud after its harvested? Like how do you do that without the smell going everywhere?

9. #9 DeathHund, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2011
    Your temp is a little warm, I keep mine around 78 lights on and 68 lights off. But I dont think it will hurt it, how many nodes have you?

10. Interested as well, I'll be doing a stealth grow pretty soon =O

11. carbon scrubber+pc fan in a cardboard drying box. making a drying box is easy, too. if you just tape string on the inside from side to side you have a drying box.

the carbon scrubber and pc fan thing will probably make you suffer a bit with your drying, but it's very safe. it will probably dry unevenly so you will have to be meticulous about it

12. What if you had a pc fan input and then a pc fan and carbon scrubber output. That way, air would flow all around the bud and hopefully help it dry evenly.

Any tutorials on pc fan carbon scrubbers?

13. Well I had to leave town for the holiday weekend. Tried to Give the sprout as much water as possible without drowning it because I couldn't get anybody to water for me. Just got home and found 2 cups of reeeeeeally dry soil and no sprouts.... So I have 4 more seeds germinating and I am going to try it again.

as for curing the bud, I have been planning on making a cardboard box like the blade above said. Keep airflow smooth and build a pretty big scrubber are my plans. Although at my place the smell isn't too worrysome because my room vents smell pretty well. (2 large windows I can crack)

I'll reupdate the thread with pics hopefully when these next seeds germ.

14. Just went and peaked into my box and found that all 4 of the seeds I put in the paper towel to germinate all have popped their sprouts. Tomorrow I am going to go buy some better soil and put em in soil. Hopefully this time with some added supervision they will do better than the last set!

One question though. I live in a very very dry area and my box's humidity stays super low(around 15-20% with the lights on) any simple ways of upping the humidity?
    Will update in the AM with pictures.

Thanks blades!

15. #15 TexRx, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2011
    If you add a few bulbs that are 4,100K or up and affordable for you [these will cost you less] You will have a nice full spectrum that you can use thru the entire grow w/o having to add more spectrum later on

Once the temp hits 90+ you've got heat issues indoors

18/6 is much better than 24/0. The plant needs a little down~time before bursting w/ growth again

:)

16. Thanks for the tip. I have been trying to find some 6500s but they are tough to find around here for some reason. I'll keep an eye out though. Thanks!

17. #17 TexRx, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2011
    ^^^^ I found several daylight CFL's at a Big Lots one time. I was surprised there were so many
    You could give it a try and see

:)

18. So the new seeds sprouted last night and I gave them an extra night of Germination before putting them into soil this morning.
    Here's the seeds before soil.
    [​IMG]
    And heres the inside of my box now. I still am only using 120W of lights so I plan on(hopefully At least one sprouts!) picking one sprout to actually grow.
    I put baggies over the cups for now because my humidity is so low.
    [​IMG]
    I think I might either give a buddy the others and maybe plant one outside somewhere.

I changed my soil because I didn't really like the last stuff I got. This time i am using 2/3 general potting soil (back says its 80% sand, perlite, and mulch) and 1/3 of this:
    [​IMG]
    It looks really good. Says its 1-1-1 all natural compost and food.
    So thats it for now. Hopefully in a couple of days I will have a couple of little seedlings!

19. Got my first sprout! Just trying to keep the soil moist and temps as low as possible.
    [​IMG]

20. Second set of leaves are poking out behind the sprout leaves! I'll take some pictures once they are big enough to see behind the first set.