miniature flood and drain lowryder 2

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by GoldGrower, Mar 31, 2013.

1. #1 GoldGrower, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2013
    hi folks, this is my second attempt at this flood and drain system. my first attempt went really well but the plant turned out to be male.... so here's round two

the grow box consists of a plastic "rubbermaid" tub of 11" x 11" x 20"
    lined with black/white plastic
    a 120mm pc fan exhaust, and another for intake
    there is a 1" screen but this is just anchor points for me to LST it
    4x 25w cfls (2700k)
    but for the moment I'm only using 1x 25w 2700k and 1x 20w 6400k

if you want to be a part of the "grow what you can in a one pint pot" competition click this link...
    http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-medical-marijuana-growing/1182012-king-cup-2013-competition.html

here's a video showing how my flood and drain pot works...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lgh4oZakjsY[/ame]

and here is the new seedling, it hatched this morning

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. subbed. looks good. better luck on this run

3. cheers mate. if this one turns out to be male ill have to use a white widow clone. I prefer to have an auto as I think it will do better at such a small size due to the extra 50% photosynthesis time on 18/6

4. :DHi GoldGrower looking forward to seeing how SHE is coming along.

5. Thats a bad ass little setup.How much does it cost for the system alone?

6. i like your set-up. hope SHE does well
    subbed

7. #7 GoldGrower, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2013
    thanks guys.
    I'm not sure how much it cost. I had all the bits lying about already, except for the wire mesh, I think that was £5. oh and the pc fans, they were about £1.30 each I think. the 3 pots were free with the products they were carrying. I think the air pump was a couple of bucks, the water pump about £5. the cfls were £2 each, the rubbermaid tub was £3. I guess if you bought all of it to put together it would cost about £25-£30

the seedling has had a bit of a slow start. I'm not sure what's causing it, but it might be that I germinated it in a small piece of rockwool and it was kept wet too long from each flooding. but I think it's ok now

8. :smoking:Ha! £25-£30 no wonder you thought my pre made pc grow box was expensive at £230. I think I will make something up for my next grow.

9. that pc box looks great though mate. you could have that sat on a desk and no one would know your growing weed

10. :smoking:I think its quiet obvious im growing weed it lets loads of light out of the fans and you can even see the plant through them. Also I have the door open now due to it being to small. I will be doing a post in a bit showing this.

11. if you turned the light and fans off it will be inconspicuous though wouldn't it?

12. :smoking:My personal opinion would be no. The box itself is a smart looking thing that people would be drawn to and if they did go close up to it they would see the plant through the fans if they didn't see it through the fan from a distance. The intake fan is pretty big and you can see through the smaller outtake fan(the one on the pc case ceiling). Plus the smell. If I did put carbon filters on it then that would give it away as well.

13. then it begs the question, why a pc case? and why a £230 pc case?

14. :smoking:I know it was a dumb call. I have thought of a great way to convert it into a decent grow box so I will do that when I finish this grow.(I will start a thread for the conversion).

15. sounds interesting, I'll look forward to that...

as for this grow, the little seedling is growing so slowly. I just don't know what's causing it. I seem to have everything spot on. maybe I'm flooding it too often. hopefully it will speed up soon. it is growing, just slowly

16. give it a little more dry time it helps with soil not sure about hydro.

17. yeah I think that may be a good idea, I'm currently flooding every 4 hours, which is the standard, but as it's so small, it's may need flooding less often

18. :smoking:So what will you switch to. I mean how often will you flood now.

19. I was going to move it to once per 6 hours, but growth has picked up today so I'll leave it for now. I'm concerned about when it starts growing fast, 6 hours between floods will cause it to dry out. I'll see how it goes over the next couple of days and then decide

20. glad growth has shown some. remember a seedling always tends to freeze up for a few days while it develops roots.